Plex server requirements for a home theater setup

Go to solution Solved by DrMacintosh,
9 minutes ago, The Karnivore said:

Ahhh ok so that most likely explains why my generic mid range samsung TV cant play a lot of the files?

Yep. 

10 minutes ago, The Karnivore said:

So the shield 4k you think would be the best option? 

Yes, the Apple TV being second best. 

Hi all,

This may not be the right section for this, sorry if not!, but im moving house and setting up a theater room for the first time.

I have the sound system, projector and screen sorted but now im working on what i'll need to be able to stream 4k content.

The projector supports atmos, hdmi earc, 4k hdr10+ 120hz as does the amp im using, so what would be reccommend to use as the media streamer?

My current plex server is running off an old PC with an i7-4820K at 4.4ghz and 32gb of ddr3 ram. It does it well enough but wont play very large 4k files, 100gb 4k Endgame etc.

What would be the best options for being able to stream the higher end 4k content? I know it wont play it native and will most likely scale it down to around 40mbs? 

Nvidia shield TV pro looks like a good start? but i assume the issue is more with the server itself not being powerful enough.

*Edit - or any other suggestions on hosting 4k content to watch in the theater? I'm not set on plex its just what im using currently

Thanks 🙂

If you have a Plex Pass subscription, you should be able to take advantage of hardware video encoding (either Quick Sync on the Intel iGPU, or adding a card like a Quadro P400).

If you don't want to pay for a Plex Pass, you'd have to switch to another platform like Jellyfin. Otherwise you're stuck encoding on the CPU.

If your 4k files are in a format the Shield can play natively, they shouldn't need to be transcoded at all. At that point it's just a file transfer.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

18 minutes ago, The Karnivore said:

Nvidia shield TV pro looks like a good start? but i assume the issue is more with the server itself not being powerful enough.

The power of the server is almost irrelevant. What you need are good clients. The Nvidia Shield and the Apple TV 4K are the best streaming boxes available for Plex because they support basically every audio/video format. If the client supports the video format, there is no need to transcode and the client can instead do a direct video stream of the source content. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

The power of the server is almost irrelevant. What you need are good clients. The Nvidia Shield and the Apple TV 4K are the best streaming boxes available for Plex because they support basically every audio/video format. If the client supports the video format, there is no need to transcode and the client can instead do a direct video stream of the source content. 

Ahhh ok so that most likely explains why my generic mid range samsung TV cant play a lot of the files? because it doesnt support half the codecs? 

Thanks for the help!

Like someone else said you're going to want to use a good client device that can handle the file format natively. Personally I've had great luck with the two Apple TV 4K units I have (one is an original 2017 model and the other is the current model), and I can simultaneously stream two separate 4K files from the 2012 Mac mini I'm using as my Plex server. The Mac mini doesn't have to do any transcoding at all since the Apple TVs can handle the files, and that's a good thing since that old Mac mini struggles to transcode 1080p files on the fly. 

I don't have any experience with the Shield, but I've heard good things about it over the years, so I don't see why it would be a bad option. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

9 minutes ago, The Karnivore said:

Ahhh ok so that most likely explains why my generic mid range samsung TV cant play a lot of the files?

Yep. 

10 minutes ago, The Karnivore said:

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Yep. 

Awesome! thank you (ever everyone else) for the help 🙂

12 hours ago, The Karnivore said:

Awesome! thank you (ever everyone else) for the help 🙂

FYI if you're planning on doing Direct Streaming (Eg: getting your local playback device to handle the majority of the load, rather than having your server transcode), a used XBox One S (identical in performance to the One X in this situation) is one the the best Plex clients. However there's a caveat - apparently the Plex App itself on all platforms just doesn't utilize all local hardware playback capabilities.

The Kodi App + official Plex Add-on is apparently the best way to view Plex content. I'm going to test this out myself, as I use the official Plex App all the time on one XBO S.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-nOzJkgEmo_wrU3zyUy21qW8vJ-Vo1j_z6GLhQBiTOQ/edit#gid=0

Someone from the Plex community put this spreadsheet together. It compares the 2019 Shield TV Pro vs the PS4 Pro vs the XBO X (the S has the same capabilities within this context).

Now it doesn't list the AppleTV 4K so that player could be better than the shield.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)