AMD Wraith Stealth (the one that comes with Ryzen 5) seems under performing

Kev
Go to solution Solved by SimplyChunk,
1 minute ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Cooler isn't mounted correctly, poor thermal paste application, you have abysmal case airflow or your ambient temps are through the roof in that room.

Great minds think alike...

I finally upgraded my venerable i7-4770k to a Ryzen 5 5600X. While I wait for the replacement bracket from bequiet! I'm using the stock cooler, and man, this thing blows! But badly. I'm idling around 54C which isn't horrible but my 1080ti idles around 32-34C. When the CPU is under load it usually thermal throttles within 10 seconds. I have DOCP (AMD equivalent of XMP) on which I'm sure doesn't help temps but I'm honestly a little surprised at how poorly the stock cooler fairs.

Is this expected for the Wraith Stealth? It's 9.99 on Amazon which is a bit shocking tbh.

EDIT: Installed new cooler, fixed all issues.

Edited by Kev
updated OP with updaed

It's better than the stock coolers Intel was using. Ryzen 5000 ran warmer than the previous chips. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Remember that in Windows the CPU isn't truly idle and even monitoring requires CPU cycles and will thus make it warmer. Have you updated chipset drivers and are you using Ryzen Balanced power plan and monitoring with Ryzen Master? If you have thermal throttling reseat the HSF or improve your case airflow.

Put it under a (true) load. 100% usage. 

Ryzen 5000:

vgRsY4p.jpg

I have this image bookmarked for these threads...

Gah, the thing that prompted this thread I forgot to put in the OP. I'm hitting 100C under load and occationally blue screening. I'm using Fan Control to run the case fans and CPU cooler at 100% anytime the temps get slightly high and that has stopped the blue screening. Mobo is MSI B550 VHD-PRO but it never ramps the fans to 100% unless I force it too.

The point: is that normal or am I missing a chipset driver?

1 minute ago, Kev said:

Gah, the thing that prompted this thread I forgot to put in the OP. I'm hitting 100C under load and occationally blue screening. I'm using Fan Control to run the case fans and CPU cooler at 100% anytime the temps get slightly high and that has stopped the blue screening. Mobo is MSI B550 VHD-PRO but it never ramps the fans to 100% unless I force it too.

Cooler isn't mounted correctly, poor thermal paste application, you have abysmal case airflow or your ambient temps are through the roof in that room.

1 minute ago, Kev said:

Might just be mounted poorly.  Whip the cooler off and check your spread

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

1 minute ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Great minds think alike...

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

Not sure if you guys understand just how thin the stock 5600XT cooler is.. not sure why they even bothered. What a piece of junk. When I first got my 5600XT I couldn't use my Le  Grand Macho RT, so I used the stock cooler that came with my 3600XT instead because it is about twice as thick as the 5600XT cooler, if not more.. Seriously, I have made thicker sandwiches than that cooler.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frost Commander 140, TY-143
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

3 hours ago, Kev said:

Pretty sure your single intake fan on that decade old case has something to do with it. Due for an upgrade and-a-half. Unless, the case listed on your profile is different.

[Main Desktop]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti (FTW3 Ultra)  MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon (X470)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 (2x8GB)

COOLER: Arctic LiquidFreezer II 280 STORAGE: G.SKILL Phoenix FTL 240GB SSD, Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, Toshiba 2TB HDD, Seagate 4TB HDD

PSU: EVGA GQ-1000W 80+ Gold  CASE: The MESHMOD v1.0 (Custom Deepcool Matrexx 70 chassis)  MONITOR: AOC 24G2 144Hz (IPS) 

MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO (wired)  KEYBOARD: Rosewill K81 RGB (Kailh Brown)  HEADPHONES: HiFiMan Ananda, Drop x Sennheiser HD6XX

IEMS: 7Hz Timeless, Tin Audio T2, Blon BL-03, Samsung/AKG Galaxy Buds Pro  STUDIO MONITORS: Mackie MR524, Mackie MRS10  MIC: NEAT Worker Bee  

INTERFACE: Focusrite Scarlett Solo  AMPLIFIER: SMSL SP200 THX AAA-888, XDUOO XD-05 Basic  DAC: SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII (upgraded AK4493 Version)

WHEEL: Logitech G29 + Logitech G Shifter

[Stream Encoder]

CPU: AMD FX-9590  GPU: Sapphire R9 390X (Tri-X OC)  MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 (AM3+)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 (2x8GB)

COOLER: EVGA CLC 280 PSU: MSI A750GF 80+ Gold CASE: Phanteks P400A Digital

[Garage]

CAR: 2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX (EM2)  ENGINE: D17A1, planned K20A2 swap  INTAKE: DIY Solutions Short RAM  HEADERS: Motor1 4-2-1 with Cat-Delete

EXHAUST: Yonaka 2.5" Cat-Back with 3.5" tip (YMCB-CIV0105)  COILOVERS: MaXpeedingrods adjustable  RIMS: Core Racing Concept Seven Alloys (15x6.5)

RECEIVER: Kenwood DPX304MBT  SOUND DEADENING: Damplifier Pro Deadening Mats  SOUND DAMPENING: Custom solution, layers of thick insulation

DOOR SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-P710PS 6.5" Components  WINDOW LEDGE SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-6996PS 6x9" 5-Ways

I think this cooler is just a bit of a turd. Here's a photo:

nrUHt1K.jpeg

This cooler is 2 cm thick and the fan tops out at ~2500 RPM! I'm honestly surprised it does as well as it does. Before I replaced it (with a DeepCool AK620 I'm idling around 34 C, load high 80s C, 22 C ambient, solved my bluescreening issue) I checked the thermal paste application (stock AMD paste), checked mount, tested with and without case (Antec P5) open, and got the same results with the stock cooler.

I suspect the cooler being a couple inches away from an MSI 1080ti in a case meant for shorter cards was pushing it over the edge too bluescreening. But come on! This cooler is 2 cm thick.

On 6/25/2022 at 12:31 AM, OfficialTechSpace said:

Pretty sure your single intake fan on that decade old case has something to do with it. Due for an upgrade and-a-half. Unless, the case listed on your profile is different.

HAhaa, I had forgotten about that. Back when I signed up it was a thing for a short time to put a fake meme build in your profile. Thankfully I don't have a Xigmatek Recon and never have. I did almost buy a L337 Gaming GANK DRONE Z87H3-A3X back then tho.