Is my motherboard dead or my cpu?

vramnik7
Go to solution Solved by vramnik7,
4 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

OK, actual safe mode working means that there's probably something up with your Windows install causing it to thermal throttle without Throttlestop. You can either do a Windows reinstall or just deal with Throttlestop. 

Ok tyyy

Hey guys, my CPU from 2 days is stuck on 0.8ghz from non stop using 5.1ghz on games.

My build is i7 7700k and ASUS maximus formula IX all water-cooled.
I had no issues until today, and fixed it with throttlestop program, but what can cause this issue from the beginning? 

Cheers.

well make ur dreams come true

I found the same CPU for less then 400, but is it worth it?

8 minutes ago, vramnik7 said:

I found the same CPU for less then 400, but is it worth it?

No, you can get a 12400F and a B660 board for less that $400. 

Anyway, that board has a Slow mode switch. Make sure that wasn't switched somehow. Slow mode (used for LN2 OC) drops the multiplier to x8, causing it to run at 0.8GHz. 

6 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

No, you can get a 12400F and a B660 board for less that $400. 

Anyway, that board has a Slow mode switch. Make sure that wasn't switched somehow. Slow mode (used for LN2 OC) drops the multiplier to x8, causing it to run at 0.8GHz. 

The switch is never used, and its on off, but the i7 7700k i can find it very cheap so its it dead? but why the program throttlestop fixes my problem?

1 minute ago, vramnik7 said:

The switch is never used, and its on off, but the i7 7700k i can find it very cheap so its it dead? but why the program throttlestop fixes my problem?

Throttlestop adjusts the multiplier in Windows. I doubt the motherboard or CPU is dead, but I figure some setting is broken. I'd clear the CMOS and see if it starts working as expected, if not updating the BIOS and see if it starts working again. 

Define "cheap" for the 7700K. That CPU isn't worth more than $70-80. 

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Throttlestop adjusts the multiplier in Windows. I doubt the motherboard or CPU is dead, but I figure some setting is broken. I'd clear the CMOS and see if it starts working as expected, if not updating the BIOS and see if it starts working again. 

Oh but the cpu is awesome on 5.1ghz for gaming=relevant to 10700k performance, but my cmos batter is dead and I cannot replace it, because it not working and i do not know what to do

3 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The bios is updated to new version should I downgrade to old one?

28 minutes ago, vramnik7 said:

The bios is updated to new version should I downgrade to old one?

Not a bad option, it's what I'd do. 

28 minutes ago, vramnik7 said:

Oh but the cpu is awesome on 5.1ghz for gaming=relevant to 10700k performance, but my cmos batter is dead and I cannot replace it, because it not working and i do not know what to do

Yes, but the i3 12100F is 25% faster and is just $110 brand new. That's why I say it's not worth more than $70-80. 

Why can't you replace the CMOS battery? It should just take a CR2032, you can get them at a local drug store for ~$1, and it should be pretty easy to install. 

23 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Not a bad option, it's what I'd do. 

Yes, but the i3 12100F is 25% faster and is just $110 brand new. That's why I say it's not worth more than $70-80. 

Why can't you replace the CMOS battery? It should just take a CR2032, you can get them at a local drug store for ~$1, and it should be pretty easy to install. 

Yoyoyoyo this is in safe mod does this mean my windoes is broken??

231F685A-CC06-4631-BCD4-F9B3B76D1830.jpeg

Just now, vramnik7 said:

Yoyoyoyo this is in safe mod does this mean my windoes is broken??

231F685A-CC06-4631-BCD4-F9B3B76D1830.jpeg

I mean, your Windows install could be broken. Just to be sure, by safe mode do you mean Windows is in safe mode or did you use the safe boot button on your motherboard? 

Just now, RONOTHAN## said:

I mean, your Windows install could be broken. Just to be sure, by safe mode do you mean Windows is in safe mode or did you use the safe boot button on your motherboard? 

I did windows repair and then entered safe mode

31 minutes ago, vramnik7 said:

I did windows repair and then entered safe mode

OK, actual safe mode working means that there's probably something up with your Windows install causing it to thermal throttle without Throttlestop. You can either do a Windows reinstall or just deal with Throttlestop. 

4 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Ok tyyy

57 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Well it was the user windows that was broken new username works fine

29 minutes ago, vramnik7 said:

Well it was the user windows that was broken new username works fine

Weird. At least it's working now. 

32 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Weird. At least it's working now. 

Yeah

18 hours ago, vramnik7 said:

stuck on 0.8 GHz

Next time this happens, post a screenshot of ThrottleStop with Limit Reasons open. If it shows BD PROCHOT lighting up red, this is typically caused by a sensor on the motherboard that is either dirty or it is starting to fail. This is a common problem and if it happens once, it will happen again.

Using ThrottleStop to disable the BD PROCHOT signal path is the only long term solution. I would not waste any time or money on a new or used 7700K or a new motherboard. Easier to just run ThrottleStop to fix this problem.