Prolonged periods of horrible internet

DarkPandaLord

My family uses Cox internet, and I believe we pay a hundred or so for it every month. A lot of the time, the internet is completely fine. I can play multiplayer games to my heart's content during these periods and experience not a lick of internet lag. But there are long periods of time through every year where the internet quality absolutely plummets, and I just don't understand why. I'm currently in one of those periods. Just a few months ago, my internet was perfectly fine. But this past month has been awful. Pages load slower, it takes longer to search stuff, sometimes the internet will just grind to a halt and nothing loads, occasionally the internet itself will just die out for a few seconds repeatedly multiple times in a row, et cetera.

This has always happened every year, and I'm sick of it every time, except this time I have decided to vent my frustration on Linus's forum. I ask you: WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON????? Is this normal? Is it normal for internet to just shit the bed and become incredibly lousy and slow all of a sudden for 3 or 4 months at a time? Is Cox scamming us or something and giving us slow, resource-lite internet or something to save resources?? Why does it do this??? I just want to fucking play Slap Battles on Roblox in peace, but every fucking time I go to hit a player, the game just shits the bed and the whole world pauses for 5 seconds. If my family is paying a hundred a month, I better be getting good internet. I feel like we're being robbed or something.

22 minutes ago, DarkPandaLord said:

Is Cox scamming us

No, people need to stop using the word "scam"

giving us slow, resource-lite internet or something to save resources??

probably

Why does it do this???

to save resources

I feel like we're being robbed or something.

have you tried calling them and getting them to check what's going on instead of venting on a forum that can't do anything about it? you'd be surprised how many issues can be fixed by calling your provider as there may be an issues they aren't aware of.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

-> Moved to Networking

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

4 hours ago, DarkPandaLord said:

Is Cox scamming us or something and giving us slow, resource-lite internet or something to save resources??

Cox is coax based. In the summer the coax cables heat up and expand (get longer), during the winter they contract (get shorter) and that can effect the signal coming across the cable. When the signal is effected enough your cable modem starts running out side of usable specs. My guess is you might be loosing some downstream/upstream channels on your modem which will result in slower speeds. 

You have a few options. If Cox allows access to the modems diagnostic pages you can view this signals your self to determine if they are within spec. If you see the signal out of spec there are a few things you can do yourself. Mainly check all your coax connections to ensure they are nice and tight. If you cant view the pages or if you cant fix the signal yourself then you may need to call Cox and have a tech come out. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.