Stuttering Randomly In Games (Rarely On Desktop)

Go to solution Solved by Cafuddled,

One thing you said a while ago struck me. You said you lock at 120fps on all settings low so your CPU is not being hit hard. But 120fps is still heavy on a CPU, in fact with your CPU you have the old infinity fabric over two CCDs of 6 cores each. They are known to be super laggy. Have you tried to disable one of your CCDs in ryzen master, I think "gaming mode" or low latency (what ever they call it) does this by default.

Let me know if this helps stabilize your frame times. 

3 hours ago, Farm-Boy_7130 said:

Forza Horizon 5 is a pretty demanding game on both GPU and CPU side but leans more on GPU from my experiences. Farming Simulator 2019, or 2022. BeamNG.Drive is CPU intensive on lower settings, and Eco is a GPU Intensive game. You can try any of these, but they are all more expensive games. I'm not aware of any free games that really load pc components like these. If anyone else has any, definitely feel free to share.

I will try some of these games on the new motherboard and RAM. I just got it right now.

51 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I didn’t see it in the recording.  I’m old though.

It is there, but I can understand that.

52 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I would say try a power virus if you haven’t already.  They’re even more stressful than games. Also the produce a lot of heat. Prime95 for cpu and furmark for GPU.  one is a primitive version of folding@home type thing that was optimized (too well) for maximum output, and the other is a primitive gpu benchmark that also hits the chip as hard as it can.  Both are quite old and free.

I will try these as well.

On 6/11/2022 at 2:32 AM, Zurovax said:

Hi (new to these forums!),

So, I have already posted a thread like this on Tom's Hardware, but not much help is being received over there. In fact, (3) other people are having the exact same issue I am having, (1) of which is an fTPM issue.

🤷‍♂️Well, have you actually tried disabling ftpm?

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

32 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

🤷‍♂️Well, have you actually tried disabling ftpm?

I don't have the fTPM issue anymore since the BIOS update. It is a separate issue entirely. But yes, I have.

image.thumb.png.8e237a4d7cf73070a4624b4e6b5bd2d6.png

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I managed to get a GTX 750 and look at that, still stuttering. So, with a new motherboard, new RAM, and tested with a different GPU, the stuttering is still there.

Everything was freshly installed as well, latest drivers too. Does this mean my CPU is finally the culprit?

4 hours ago, Zurovax said:

I don't have the fTPM issue anymore since the BIOS update. It is a separate issue entirely. But yes, I have.

image.thumb.png.8e237a4d7cf73070a4624b4e6b5bd2d6.png

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I managed to get a GTX 750 and look at that, still stuttering. So, with a new motherboard, new RAM, and tested with a different GPU, the stuttering is still there.

Everything was freshly installed as well, latest drivers too. Does this mean my CPU is finally the culprit?

🤔 That means the culprit is a software issue. And this was the case 99% of the time in my case. Basically, you have to debloat Windows. Two things I'd start with is disabling 'network discovery' and 'HPET', which is short for 'high precision event timer'. You can find the latter in Device manager. Try one at a time to see which one could be causing it if at all. I have both disabled in my PC. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

On 6/11/2022 at 8:44 PM, Zurovax said:

I don't know how it could be catching up with 1Gbps Internet and settings are all on low. I'm sure it would be already caught up at that point.

Well again I don't know too much about it, but I think of it this way: You send information to the game server, your enemy does too. Your Client and the enemy client and the server all need to be synced somehow. Sometimes what you see on your screen is a little behind the server's state of the game, you will see a hitch and it will be synced again. I just thought it was probably no coincidence it happened at the moment of death, which is something the server should validate right? 

If it happens in other games too, well that's a different story then. Would be interesting to see if you notice any differences between windows 10 and 11. 

7 hours ago, merco said:

Well again I don't know too much about it, but I think of it this way: You send information to the game server, your enemy does too. Your Client and the enemy client and the server all need to be synced somehow. Sometimes what you see on your screen is a little behind the server's state of the game, you will see a hitch and it will be synced again. I just thought it was probably no coincidence it happened at the moment of death, which is something the server should validate right? 

If it happens in other games too, well that's a different story then. Would be interesting to see if you notice any differences between windows 10 and 11. 

I see what you mean. Though usually when lag or not-synced clients/servers happen like that, it doesn't usually stutter the game for me. Black Ops 4 is a game I play a lot and I don't stutter when others are lagging or even if the server is spiking in connection. That game is server side as well.

There is a difference between W10 and W11. W11 runs better than W10, which is odd considering W10 used to run much more smoothly months ago than W11. It seems the updates have made the mobo's and Ryzen CPU's work much much better. With the new mobo and RAM, my system itself runs more quickly. Still stuttering, however.

9 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

🤔 That means the culprit is a software issue. And this was the case 99% of the time in my case. Basically, you have to debloat Windows. Two things I'd start with is disabling 'network discovery' and 'HPET', which is short for 'high precision event timer'. You can find the latter in Device manager. Try one at a time to see which one could be causing it if at all. I have both disabled in my PC. 

I have done things like this.

HPET, network discovery, disabling page file (since I have 64GB now), ISLC, DDU (NVCleanstall), disabling hibernation file, disabling system restore points & deleting them, have used CCleaner to remove apps that can't be removed normally, disconnecting all but necessary ports, and of course playing on the lowest settings possible.

I think when I was playing Gears 5 a day or 2 ago, I was playing a private match and it would barely stutter. I only noticed it if something happened a ton on the screen, as if something couldn't render it all. CPU, RAM, or GPU, I would not know. But considering that Fortnite still lags with a different GPU, could be CPU since RAM has already been exchanged.

image.thumb.png.4b9677fb6b26dbaa8d8806ad2c08e04b.png

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just idling at the Minecraft menu, and well..... lol. I tried to get the bigger spikes in the picture, but I wanted to provide multiple to show how random it is.

I noticed that idling on the MC menu, the CPU usage goes to 1%, then the clock speed jumps down to 3700MHz for a brief moment. I think that's normal though, right?

EDIT: Was roaming in a world, and it still kept dropping to 3700MHz

2 hours ago, Zurovax said:

image.thumb.png.4b9677fb6b26dbaa8d8806ad2c08e04b.png

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just idling at the Minecraft menu, and well..... lol. I tried to get the bigger spikes in the picture, but I wanted to provide multiple to show how random it is.

I noticed that idling on the MC menu, the CPU usage goes to 1%, then the clock speed jumps down to 3700MHz for a brief moment. I think that's normal though, right?

EDIT: Was roaming in a world, and it still kept dropping to 3700MHz

🤔So how long do you have the PC on before it stutters? Does it start right away or after two or so hours? How long have you had it on thus far?

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

4 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

🤔So how long do you have the PC on before it stutters? Does it start right away or after two or so hours? How long have you had it on thus far?

I start it up immediately and it stutters, hours later too it still does. In other words, it happens all the time.

Standby memory is always cleared when it reaches halfway of my RAM

27 minutes ago, Zurovax said:

I start it up immediately and it stutters, hours later too it still does. In other words, it happens all the time.

Standby memory is always cleaned.

😕 Tried this in the video below yet? There are other things I'll get to, but one at a time first. This one is basically about telling your anti virus apps and windows firewall to leave your games alone. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

One thing you said a while ago struck me. You said you lock at 120fps on all settings low so your CPU is not being hit hard. But 120fps is still heavy on a CPU, in fact with your CPU you have the old infinity fabric over two CCDs of 6 cores each. They are known to be super laggy. Have you tried to disable one of your CCDs in ryzen master, I think "gaming mode" or low latency (what ever they call it) does this by default.

21 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

😕 Tried this in the video below yet? There are other things I'll get to, but one at a time first. This one is basically about telling your anti virus apps and windows firewall to leave your games alone. 

When you first showed this, I was like "Yeah I've already disabled reputation-based protection", but then the video went into exploitation. I will have to give that a try. I already have let the games both allowed in private and in public too.

20 minutes ago, Cafuddled said:

I have heard that the 2nd CCD, CCD 1, was known to be uglier in speed, yes. However, I was told to just leave it all alone on Tom's Hardware. I do use Premiere Pro and Photoshop, so that extra CCD does help. However, I guess it would not hurt to try it out.

12 minutes ago, Zurovax said:

However, I guess it would not hurt to try it out.

Exactly, we're not talking about long term solutions with this test, just answering this question. If you find this helps, using 6 cores on a 3000 to game on ain't great, you can then either live with it knowing the answer (it is a known concern with older ZEN and why they have a gaming mode that disables infinity fabric) or upgrade to a 5000 series.

🧐 Hmm, I mean, I had a 3700X before. 99% of the time my games stuttered, it was something about Windows that was causing it. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

41 minutes ago, Zurovax said:

When you first showed this, I was like "Yeah I've already disabled reputation-based protection", but then the video went into exploitation. I will have to give that a try. I already have let the games both allowed in private and in public too.

Yeah, basically, it boils down to debloating Windows, the bios included with the FTPM issue. One time, updating the bios fixed it, while for Squad, the stuttering in that game occurred due to hardware limitations (game poorly optimized notwithstanding). I'd also try enabling G-sync if you haven't already, since it appears you have a G-Sync capable monitor. That way, it eliminates the stuttering occurring due to the GPU rendering frames below the monitors refresh rate. Instead, the monitor will adjust itself to what the GPU is outputting. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

8 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

Yeah, basically, it boils down to debloating Windows, the bios included with the FTPM issue. One time, updating the bios fixed it, while for Squad, the stuttering in that game occurred due to hardware limitations (game poorly optimized notwithstanding). I'd also try enabling G-sync if you haven't already, since it appears you have a G-Sync capable monitor. That way, it eliminates the stuttering occurring due to the GPU rendering frames below the monitors refresh rate. Instead, the monitor will adjust itself to what the GPU is outputting. 

I used to have this on, but heard it had given an increase in latency since it's "GSYNC Compatible" and not just "GSYNC". It was true as I do experience more reaction time, but I will go back since I go below the 240Hz anyway.

9 minutes ago, Zurovax said:

I used to have this on, but heard it had given an increase in latency since it's "GSYNC Compatible" and not just "GSYNC". It was true as I do experience more reaction time, but I will go back since I go below the 240Hz anyway.

🤔Well, you gotta make sure "variable refresh rate" is enabled in the "graphics settings" screen before enabling GSync in Nvidia's software.

Graphics Settings.jpg

The whole point in technology like G-Sync and its AMD equivalent Free Sync was to eliminate the latency/input lag the old V-Sync was known for introducing to begin with. Instead of forcing the GPU to match the monitors refresh rate like V-Sync does, a G-Sync monitor will instead match whatever the GPU is outputting in frames. This helps eliminate the chance of screen tearing occurring, while also stopping input lag that can cause stuttering to occur since the GPU is never rendering a scene at a pace that is below the monitors refresh rate. So I would certainly enable it to rule it out, especially if you are capping the frame rate to 120 fps. You enable G-Sync, then your monitor will also dynamically adjust the refresh rate to 120 hz, is how it's supposed to work. It's the exact opposite of how V-Sync works basically. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

4 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

🤔Well, you gotta make sure "variable refresh rate" is enabled in the "graphics settings" screen before enabling GSync in Nvidia's software.

Graphics Settings.jpg

The whole point in technology like G-Sync and its AMD equivalent Free Sync was to eliminate the latency/input lag the old V-Sync was known for introducing to begin with. Instead of forcing the GPU to match the monitors refresh rate like V-Sync does, a G-Sync monitor will instead match whatever the GPU is outputting in frames. This helps eliminate the chance of screen tearing occurring, while also stopping input lag that can cause stuttering to occur since the GPU is never rendering a scene at a pace that is below the monitors refresh rate. So I would certainly enable it to rule it out, especially if you are capping the frame rate to 120 fps. You enable G-Sync, then your monitor will also dynamically adjust the refresh rate to 120 hz, is how it's supposed to work. It's the exact opposite of how V-Sync works basically. 

Of course. I have it enabled. I will be testing right now

1 hour ago, BlackManINC said:

Okay, whatever this exploitation setting is absolutely ruined my connection. I had 90% packet loss in Upload on Fortnite. I have removed it. To note, while lagging, I did not stutter, so that "catching up" statement does not apply.

I did still stutter, however.

So, to add to the suggestions, using only the better CCD, it has made things more smoothly. However, still stutter.

With the G-SYNC side, it visually looks smoother, but it still has a microstutter.

I noticed though when there was a big spike of a stutter, CPU utilization went down by 10%.

7 minutes ago, Zurovax said:

So, to add to the suggestions, using only the better CCD, it has made things more smoothly. However, still stutter.

With the G-SYNC side, it visually looks smoother, but it still has a microstutter.

I noticed though when there was a big spike of a stutter, CPU utilization went down by 10%.

🤔You should probably try increasing the fps cap to perhaps 238, just below your monitors refresh rate. I have mines at 142, just below its 144 Hz refresh rate. There is really no reason to cap it all the way down to 120 fps as long as G Sync is doing its job..

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

😭 And man this stuttering issue is a real son of a bitch.. Can't blame it on an AMD GPU in this case at least, like people tend to do..

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

10 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

🤔You should probably try increasing the fps cap to perhaps 238, just below your monitors refresh rate. I have mines at 142, just below its 144 Hz refresh rate. There is really no reason to cap it all the way down to 120 fps as long as G Sync is doing its job..

Less noticeable at that high of FPS, but some games I can't reach that FPS (Fortnite for example).

8 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

😭 And man this stuttering issue is a real son of a bitch.. Can't blame it on an AMD GPU in this case at least, like people tend to do..

Tell me about it. I have NEVER had such an awful issue such as this.

What if I tried a different PSU? Think maybe it would be worth testing?