Stuttering Randomly In Games (Rarely On Desktop)

Go to solution Solved by Cafuddled,

One thing you said a while ago struck me. You said you lock at 120fps on all settings low so your CPU is not being hit hard. But 120fps is still heavy on a CPU, in fact with your CPU you have the old infinity fabric over two CCDs of 6 cores each. They are known to be super laggy. Have you tried to disable one of your CCDs in ryzen master, I think "gaming mode" or low latency (what ever they call it) does this by default.

Let me know if this helps stabilize your frame times. 

13 minutes ago, Zurovax said:

Less noticeable at that high of FPS, but some games I can't reach that FPS (Fortnite for example).

Tell me about it. I have NEVER had such an awful issue such as this.

What if I tried a different PSU? Think maybe it would be worth testing?

The power supply likely has zero to do with this. So you do have the games exe file set to high performance in that graphics settings screen right? What about the CPU power plan? Is it on balanced, high performance or ultimate performance mode? Tried raising the cpu priority to above normal or high for the game?

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

16 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

The power supply likely has zero to do with this. So you do have the games exe file set to high performance in that graphics settings screen right? What about the CPU power plan? Is it on balanced, high performance or ultimate performance mode? Tried raising the cpu priority to above normal or high for the game?

Was only a thought.

High performance, correct.

CPU has the AMD High Performance power plan. I've heard of the ultimate power plan, but I believe AMD recommended using the ones the chipset driver came with, so I have it on High Performance.

High priority, yes.

Still get the micro stutter when using 1 CCD and locking to 60fps?

19 minutes ago, Cafuddled said:

Still get the micro stutter when using 1 CCD and locking to 60fps?

I haven't done 60FPS, but I can try.

EDIT: So just tested real quick, and yes. Still microstutter.

On 6/11/2022 at 8:32 AM, Zurovax said:

Hi (new to these forums!),

So, I have already posted a thread like this on Tom's Hardware, but not much help is being received over there. In fact, (3) other people are having the exact same issue I am having, (1) of which is an fTPM issue.

To start, I have tried many different kinds of hardware already to see what the cause could be and have monitored them using RTSS with usage, power, temps, etc. The only thing I have noticed is the frametime. It's super bad.

One thing I did notice is when trying a new motherboard, I believe it performed much more smoothly with boot time, loading explorer/browsers, etc. I can't remember gaming exactly, but that mobo has since been returned since it was only for testing and could not be afforded.

When contacting ASUS though and elaborating that it went more smoothly with the new motherboard, they seemed to almost immediately say to do an RMA. I do not want to do that unless I am certain from other perspectives to see if it actually is an issue or not. Having a $300+ mobo being faulty is a tough bullet to take, but it sure sucks.

My specs:

Components-

MOBO: ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

RAM: G.Skill TridentZ 2x16GB 3600MHZ  CL18

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x 12c/24t

GPU: Gigabyte 3X Windforce RTX 2070 Super 8GB

PSU: Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum Certified, Fully Modular

AIO: DEEPCOOL Castle 360EX

Storage-

SSD 1: Samsung 870 QVO 4TB

M.2/NVMe: addlink PCIe G4x4 1TB

Peripherals-

Mouse: Logitech G Pro X Superlight

Keyboard: Glorious GMMK Compact w/ Gateron Clear Switches

Microphone: Audio Technica AT2020

Headset: JBL Quantum One

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG279QM 27", 1ms 1080p 240Hz

Click this to see a video of the kind of stuttering I get (you will see it terribly at 1:50)

I'm experiencing the same issues, have opened a topic earlier as well.

Haven't found a solution so far. It started out of nowhere (no changes to the PC whatsoever) and after hours/days of troubleshooting and installing Windows again for about 4 times now, I'm really starting to get frustrated.

Aorus X570 Elite - Ryzen 5700X - Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC - 32GB DDR4 3200MHz - Windows 11 Pro

11 hours ago, Zurovax said:

I haven't done 60FPS, but I can try.

EDIT: So just tested real quick, and yes. Still microstutter.

🤔 Tried tampering with the Windows services? I have some stuff disabled in that screen as well. Its the stuff that says "running" that are the main concern. This is what I have disabled. I know its safe to disable since some of this is disabled on my work laptop as well. Just record the default setting for them in case you ever need them.

Geolocation Service

AllJoyn Router Service:

Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service

Group Policy Client:

WLAN AutoConfig

Open SSH Authentication

Netlogon

Routung and Remote Access:

Remote Registry:

Shared PC account manager

SSDP Discovery

net.tcp port sharing

file history service

There is still yet more you can do after this to debloat your PC. But I'm getting the feeling that it might be a network related issue. Maybe there is something you need to tweak on your NIC adapter in device manager. Does it happen in all games, or just certain online/multiplayer games?

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

1 hour ago, Mast3rDisast3r said:

Haven't found a solution so far. It started out of nowhere (no changes to the PC whatsoever) and after hours/days of troubleshooting and installing Windows again for about 4 times now, I'm really starting to get frustrated.

🤔 I don't see your thread in the feed. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

3 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

🤔 Tried tampering with the Windows services? I have some stuff disabled in that screen as well. Its the stuff that says "running" that are the main concern. This is what I have disabled. I know its safe to disable since some of this is disabled on my work laptop as well. Just record the default setting for them in case you ever need them.

Geolocation Service

AllJoyn Router Service:

Group Policy Client:

WLAN AutoConfig

Open SSH Authentication

Netlogon

Remote Registry:

SSDP Discovery

net.tcp port sharing

file history service

There is still yet more you can do after this to debloat your PC. But I'm getting the feeling that it might be a network related issue. Maybe there is something you need to tweak on your NIC adapter in device manager. Does it happen in all games, or just certain online/multiplayer games?

I had most of these disabled, however have disabled the rest.

I do not think it would be the NIC that is with the motherboard since this is an entirely new motherboard.

4 hours ago, Mast3rDisast3r said:

Have you done the fTPM update? If you have, then welcome to my world of annoyance. 😊

4 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

Geolocation Service

AllJoyn Router Service:

Group Policy Client:

WLAN AutoConfig

Open SSH Authentication

Netlogon

Remote Registry:

SSDP Discovery

net.tcp port sharing

file history service

Well with those tweaks, I am still withholding the microstutters

3 hours ago, Zurovax said:

Well with those tweaks, I am still withholding the microstutters

😬 Fucks sake man. Its gotta be something. When is the last time your drive has been trimmed? Tried deleting the direct X shader cache on your drive? Does device manager show any extra drivers under display adapter? Click on "show hidden devices" in the view tab to be sure. What exactly are you running in the background? 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

1 hour ago, BlackManINC said:

😬 Fucks sake man. Its gotta be something. When is the last time your drive has been trimmed? Tried deleting the direct X shader cache on your drive? Does device manager show any extra drivers under display adapter? Click on "show hidden devices" in the view tab to be sure. What exactly are you running in the background? 

Well I've done a fresh install, so everything you've just listed doesn't apply. Have trimmed, no benefit 😞

EDIT: Nothing runs in the background. Literally just Fortnite and Windows lol

45 minutes ago, Zurovax said:

Well I've done a fresh install, so everything you've just listed doesn't apply. Have trimmed, no benefit 😞

EDIT: Nothing runs in the background. Literally just Fortnite and Windows lol

😕 Game mode disabled? 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

This might be dumb, but try re-seating everything. RAM, CPU, GPU, unplug and plug everything back in. It can't hurt, and if you have it, try replacing the thermal paste on your cpu. When you replace it, can you look at the thermal paste pattern and see if it looks even or not?

1 hour ago, BlackManINC said:

😕 Game mode disabled? 

Have not done, will try.

1 hour ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

This might be dumb, but try re-seating everything. RAM, CPU, GPU, unplug and plug everything back in. It can't hurt, and if you have it, try replacing the thermal paste on your cpu. When you replace it, can you look at the thermal paste pattern and see if it looks even or not?

All has been done when acquiring a new mobo and RAM (multiple times).

I believe it is my CPU at this point. I will have to save up just to try something else.

Unless I get lucky enough with this other CPU 🤔

5 hours ago, Zurovax said:

I believe it is my CPU at this point. I will have to save up just to try something else.

🤔 Not even turning off game mode worked? And, if the culprit is hardware, it can also just as easily be due to a ram bottleneck. Its core clock speed might be fast enough, but I'm willing to bet that the cas latency is awful like mines was, which you can benchmark with this app here. It wasn't why my games were stuttering before, but its surely a possibility I guess. 

https://www.aida64.com/downloads

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

9 hours ago, Zurovax said:

It does seem likely, I mean, everything from the 3000 series down was infamous for latency issues between the CCXs, CCDs and Ram. It seemed they fixed that with the 5000 series, it's why I waited with my i5 6600k for so long, was hearing not such great things from AMD at that time. The reality is I would wager that most users can't perceive or aren't really all that bothered by or blame the stutter on something else (that's just the way PC gaming is).

On 6/14/2022 at 7:11 PM, BlackManINC said:

🤔 I don't see your thread in the feed. 

Here you go

Aorus X570 Elite - Ryzen 5700X - Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC - 32GB DDR4 3200MHz - Windows 11 Pro

1 hour ago, Mast3rDisast3r said:

Here you go

🤔 Ah, well hopefully its not because of the latency issue Zen 2 CPU's apparently have had that @Cafuddled mentioned here. Since even the six core Ryzen 5 5600x outperforms your Ryzen 7 3700x by light years, I'd probably be looking to upgrade, since the 5600x are relatively cheap right now. Because I'm sure you've tried everything I already suggested in this thread anyway. 🤷‍♂️

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

10 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

🤔 Not even turning off game mode worked? And, if the culprit is hardware, it can also just as easily be due to a ram bottleneck. Its core clock speed might be fast enough, but I'm willing to bet that the cas latency is awful like mines was, which you can benchmark with this app here. It wasn't why my games were stuttering before, but its surely a possibility I guess. 

https://www.aida64.com/downloads

I have CL16 sticks, which is usually the standard. I don't think that would be it.

6 hours ago, Cafuddled said:

It does seem likely, I mean, everything from the 3000 series down was infamous for latency issues between the CCXs, CCDs and Ram. It seemed they fixed that with the 5000 series, it's why I waited with my i5 6600k for so long, was hearing not such great things from AMD at that time. The reality is I would wager that most users can't perceive or aren't really all that bothered by or blame the stutter on something else (that's just the way PC gaming is).

It was indeed the CPU

I just turned on my computer and the same issue had occurred just now on my new motherboard that also had happened on my other motherboard. The LED post-code got stuck on DRAM.

It is not the RAM because I have done *many*, and I mean *many*, different configurations. I could be missing something, but D.O.C.P is what I have on, I have increased the latency (making the numbers higher), added more voltage, turned off D.O.C.P, and even set the SOC voltage to 1.2 (not recommended).

My CPU has either died down or something very small within the unit itself is having issues.

What else would there be to do now to "reduce" this other than buying a new CPU?

On 6/12/2022 at 10:22 AM, Zurovax said:

It's visible in the game, on the graph, on the recording, and in person. That spike in frametime is the stutter. Think of it as something shutting off for such a tiny moment, then coming back on. Think of it as my screen turning off that short moment, then coming back on. That is what I am feeling.

That is true. Do you have another game to suggest I could try? List some free ones as well.

You can stop now... AMD fixed it with a driver update

5 minutes ago, VladTheImpaler said:

You can stop now... AMD fixed it with a driver update

They fixed the fTPM stuttering, not my specific stuttering. However, I believe it to be my certain CPU.