Stuttering Randomly In Games (Rarely On Desktop)

Go to solution Solved by Cafuddled,

One thing you said a while ago struck me. You said you lock at 120fps on all settings low so your CPU is not being hit hard. But 120fps is still heavy on a CPU, in fact with your CPU you have the old infinity fabric over two CCDs of 6 cores each. They are known to be super laggy. Have you tried to disable one of your CCDs in ryzen master, I think "gaming mode" or low latency (what ever they call it) does this by default.

Let me know if this helps stabilize your frame times.聽

8 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

Is FTPM enabled?聽

Yes, since I have went back to Windows 11 so AMD doesn't say "well it's this actually".

Just now, TTG24 said:

Yes, since I have went back to Windows 11 so AMD doesn't say "well it's this actually".

馃聽Well, you said that ELMB may not be cooperating well with VRR. You did say something about the stuttering being less after doing something with your monitor before. If not, then the issue might be your RAM's latency. I don't know what else it could be if not even disabling P-States worked.聽

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

And, while I know they claim they "fixed" fTPM in an update, I'd still would much rather disable it if I can, to be 100% sure. I don't take their word for it.聽

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

8 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

And, while I know they claim they "fixed" fTPM in an update, I'd still would much rather disable it if I can, to be 100% sure. I don't take their word for it.聽

Yeah, but I already updated the BIOS again... ugh. I'll try to force it off for now, then see what they respond with Monday.

image.png.afd5c52247ec739343a4ea373132a2a6.png

If only they told me before wasting an entire week for this response. Oh well.

image.png.606b05eb53ffded6b4c2a4593a583788.png

However, on this side of things, hopefully something can come of this.

As of now, I am awaiting a response to AMD. They seemed a little unhelpful at first, stating what I provided wasn't "specific" enough, which I guess would be better said as "what really is the issue you are having?".

Either way, I am playing the waiting game. I've sent all the videos/clips I have made, sent my most recent dxdiag and sys.nfo, and extra information regarding temps and whatnot. We shall see how they approach this and if anything will come of this.

EDIT: Just to note, I was able to get a 3070Ti, brand new, at a great price. I still have stuttering issues. So, I can greatly say that the GPU and the drivers for it are just not the problem at hand.

Update to the response of AMD: They have suggested trying an AMD GPU rather than an NVIDIA. Unfortunately, as you would expect, I had already received a great deal for the 3070Ti. I suppose in the future I will try an AMD GPU...

Other than that, they have also suggested disabling 3rd party services. However, we have already gone through that here and is not needed to do again.

I recently have started getting back into Skyrim again and man... at 60fps, I still get frametime spikes. I would guess Skyrim is a very CPU intensive game? I do not know.

That's it for now. Will await another response from AMD. At least they sympathize for me.

Additional oddities have been happening recently ever since getting a 3070Ti. My screen will look like it gets saturated for a quick millisecond, like turning the vibrancy up by a lot. It will then go back to normal. I have also noticed that when playing Modern Warfare multiplayer, the hitching/frametime spikes are HUGE. It is much more frequent than it has ever been.

I think maybe since getting the 3070Ti, it's requiring more power, and that is now causing more stuttering? I've tried 1 CCD and both for the CPU, and each are horrible.

Could it be an actual power problem within the house? This is getting more and more strange as the time goes on. Is something slowly dying in weird ways?

So, with Skyrim being hard locked on 60FPS and stuttering... then MW multiplayer being worse with consistent stuttering... I might have a feeling since installing the 3070Ti that power could be an issue and maybe not just the PSU nor an outlet. It could be the broker, or whatever the box thing is that delivers power that can only hold so much.

I will have to see if maybe getting a new outlet could perhaps fix it, but it will be a later project unfortunately. I believe this is an expensive route.

On 7/22/2022 at 10:38 PM, TTG24 said:

Update to the response of AMD: They have suggested trying an AMD GPU rather than an NVIDIA. Unfortunately, as you would expect, I had already received a great deal for the 3070Ti. I suppose in the future I will try an AMD GPU...

Other than that, they have also suggested disabling 3rd party services. However, we have already gone through that here and is not needed to do again.

I recently have started getting back into Skyrim again and man... at 60fps, I still get frametime spikes. I would guess Skyrim is a very CPU intensive game? I do not know.

That's it for now. Will await another response from AMD. At least they sympathize for me.

馃聽Well, why exactly did they recommend an AMD GPU? That's weird.聽

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

On 7/24/2022 at 10:03 PM, BlackManINC said:

馃聽Well, why exactly did they recommend an AMD GPU? That's weird.聽

I thought the same thing. A very odd and somewhat sketchy suggestion to give.

If I am thinking of the bad, then that is a very terrible thing. More performance/stability with only AMD products? Only a theory...

Hopefully that is not true.

image.thumb.png.3eb7dc7c86d8ab1e1ee1baae5eef6c78.png

• 2 weeks later...

Seems they haven't responded within the 10 days to my reply. That honestly is saddening.

I suppose this is where I leave this problem as is. On a positive note, I will get some aid financially within the upcoming semester. Maybe then I can get a working system.

I can use the old parts as a NAS or something.

I appreciate the help everyone has given to this post. Since April, this has been an issue for me and unfortunately now it ends 4 months later with no solution.

Thank you all.

3 hours ago, TTG24 said:

Seems they haven't responded within the 10 days to my reply. That honestly is saddening.

I suppose this is where I leave this problem as is. On a positive note, I will get some aid financially within the upcoming semester. Maybe then I can get a working system.

I can use the old parts as a NAS or something.

I appreciate the help everyone has given to this post. Since April, this has been an issue for me and unfortunately now it ends 4 months later with no solution.

Thank you all.

Such a shame, short of taking it to somewhere you can properly troubleshoot at, you're kinda stuck. I'm surprised no computer stores are up for it, they can charge you a small amount of time and then you can buy the problem component from them.