Stuttering Randomly In Games (Rarely On Desktop)

Go to solution Solved by Cafuddled,

One thing you said a while ago struck me. You said you lock at 120fps on all settings low so your CPU is not being hit hard. But 120fps is still heavy on a CPU, in fact with your CPU you have the old infinity fabric over two CCDs of 6 cores each. They are known to be super laggy. Have you tried to disable one of your CCDs in ryzen master, I think "gaming mode" or low latency (what ever they call it) does this by default.

Let me know if this helps stabilize your frame times. 

Ru  dxdiag, save all info, paste the errors at the bottom here. More likely another software you have or bad / missing driver

Asus

Gigabyte

Msi

Usb drivers

Chipset drivers

13 hours ago, Cafuddled said:

Digital foundry has been speaking a lot recently about stutter issues with the unreal engine. I remember some of your tests were with fortnight which uses this engine. Food for thought... you never did answer if you've dropped in a 5000 chip for testing sake.

That is interesting to hear about Unreal Engine.

I did mention I tested a different CPU, just not specified which one (I believe). Anywho, I did test a 5600x. Results are from this quote:

Yes, still happening on different CPU. That means every component has been changed and tested except the PSU.

1 hour ago, Ada1 said:

Ru  dxdiag, save all info, paste the errors at the bottom here. More likely another software you have or bad / missing driver

Asus

Gigabyte

Msi

Usb drivers

Chipset drivers

I had already sent over a sysinfo to NVIDIA, they had said it looked normal. Did not think of dxdiag though, since I'm sure it contains different troubleshooting.

If you find that GMMK or Premiere Pro shows having issues, I would ignore as I still had stuttering even before installing those kinds of software.

DxDiag.txt

The only thing that fix it is the correct BIOS settings (disable csm, enable iommu, disable legacy usb support, hpet off)

5 minutes ago, Thephenom696 said:

The only thing that fix it is the correct BIOS settings (disable csm, enable iommu, disable legacy usb support, hpet off)

CSM is off, enabling IOMMU is pointless unless you use virtualization (which I do not), I will try the USB thing, and HPET is already off.

31 minutes ago, TTG24 said:

I had already sent over a sysinfo to NVIDIA, they had said it looked normal. Did not think of dxdiag though, since I'm sure it contains different troubleshooting.

If you find that GMMK or Premiere Pro shows having issues, I would ignore as I still had stuttering even before installing those kinds of software.

DxDiag.txt 79.47 kB · 0 downloads

🤔 What your DXdiag test has to say about your "display tab" is quite interesting, because mines says no problems were found. 

The file C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvgbdi.inf_amd64_254a6d2b2076ba7e\nvldumdx.dll,C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvgbdi.inf_amd64_254a6d2b2076ba7e\nvldumdx.dll,C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvgbdi.inf_amd64_254a6d2b2076ba7e\nvldumdx.dll,C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvgbdi.inf_amd64_254a6d2b2076ba7e\nvldumdx.dll is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL).  You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer.

Mines says no such thing. It could be a clue. Your issue may still be driver related it seems. And, have you tried deleting the shader cache in Nvidia's control panel? I'm not sure exactly where you'd find it, but I figured it can be done since you can in AMD Adrenaline. And, here is my DXdiag report. 

MyDxDiag.txt

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

@TTG24

🧐 Aren't you using an Nvidia GPU? That file DXDIAG references seems to be from AMD. There might be some sort of driver conflict going on there I guess. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

12 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

@TTG24

🧐 Aren't you using an Nvidia GPU? That file DXDIAG references seems to be from AMD. There might be some sort of driver conflict going on there I guess. 

I am using an NVIDIA GPU. Also, looky here in the BIOS20220621_151442.heic

It doesn't even show the GPU 🤔

Also, my middle fan on the GPU is making some rather odd ticking sounds. Very very very strange

19 minutes ago, TTG24 said:

I am using an NVIDIA GPU. Also, looky here in the BIOS20220621_151442.heic

It doesn't even show the GPU 🤔

Also, my middle fan on the GPU is making some rather odd ticking sounds. Very very very strange

🤔 What I'd do is try using DDU in safe mode again, and then resetting your bios to default setting by nuking the CMOS battery. At least it appears we've narrowed down the potential problem having to do with the GPU and its drivers. And make sure Windows isn't installing the drivers of course. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

21 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

🤔 What I'd do is try using DDU in safe mode again, and then resetting your bios to default setting by nuking the CMOS battery. At least it appears we've narrowed down the potential problem having to do with the GPU and its drivers. And make sure Windows isn't installing the drivers of course. 

After running DDU without clearing CMOS, the dxdiag does not show the display as having any problems anymore

DxDiag.txt

1 hour ago, TTG24 said:

After running DDU without clearing CMOS, the dxdiag does not show the display as having any problems anymore

DxDiag.txt 78.22 kB · 0 downloads

🤔 Well, so is it still stuttering? What about the bios? GPU showing up?

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

12 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

🤔 Well, so is it still stuttering? What about the bios? GPU showing up?

I cannot tell if it should show up or not, but when going into "GPU Post", it shows up as "NVIDIA Card", so I am assuming it is working properly.

As for the stuttering, still there, yes.

I had also taken a risk of changing to a different BIOS on the GPU (which I was super super scared to do, even after all these years of messing with computers) and it had successfully worked. However, no great outcome with that either.

45 minutes ago, TTG24 said:

I cannot tell if it should show up or not, but when going into "GPU Post", it shows up as "NVIDIA Card", so I am assuming it is working properly.

As for the stuttering, still there, yes.

I had also taken a risk of changing to a different BIOS on the GPU (which I was super super scared to do, even after all these years of messing with computers) and it had successfully worked. However, no great outcome with that either.

And you already replaced the power supply right? 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

14 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

And you already replaced the power supply right? 

I have not tried another PSU, no.

17 minutes ago, TTG24 said:

I have not tried another PSU, no.

Was Game Mode ever on? They said they fixed the bug with it, and I tried it out, so it works fine. Might as well turn that on for the hell of it. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

28 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

Was Game Mode ever on? They said they fixed the bug with it, and I tried it out, so it works fine. Might as well turn that on for the hell of it. 

You had mentioned to turn it off, but I have tested both on and off. It did not really change much as the stuttering still happened.

2 hours ago, TTG24 said:

You had mentioned to turn it off, but I have tested both on and off. It did not really change much as the stuttering still happened.

😕 Sigh..well, seems like I pretty much ran out of things to try at this point. For now, the only thing that MIGHT work is tightening up your RAM sub timings in the bios, assuming you haven't already. The app below will tell you what your rams cas latency is, AIDA64 Extreme.

https://www.aida64.com/downloads

Mind you, it took me many, MANY benchmark tests and CMOS resets to get it stable. But it was worth the hassle because my Cas Latency was god awful, as high as 87ns. Chances are yours is high as well. The guys in the Discord server below helped me with my overclocks a great deal. They know their shit, so you can go there to their overclocking channel. 

https://discord.gg/buildapc

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

1 hour ago, BlackManINC said:

😕 Sigh..well, seems like I pretty much ran out of things to try at this point. For now, the only thing that MIGHT work is tightening up your RAM sub timings in the bios, assuming you haven't already. The app below will tell you what your rams cas latency is, AIDA64 Extreme.

https://www.aida64.com/downloads

Mind you, it took me many, MANY benchmark tests and CMOS resets to get it stable. But it was worth the hassle because my Cas Latency was god awful, as high as 87ns. Chances are yours is high as well. The guys in the Discord server below helped me with my overclocks a great deal. They know their shit, so you can go there to their overclocking channel. 

https://discord.gg/buildapc

I am guessing this is poopy?

image.png.4ecdf5a35959f7cac1f055daded41614.png

image.png.56055ba75a7eabd652f7af3debfe646e.png

EDIT: I do have 64GB of RAM, so I feel like the nanoseconds aren't too far off from being normal.

Give this a read for the stuttering issues in PC being reported:

https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-2022-df-direct-weekly-talks-state-of-play-and-horizon-forbidden-west-post-patch-image-quality

Since then it's been mentioned at length in every DF direct.

It's due to shader compilation which in Unreal Engine 4 is handled particularly very poorly, being a single core process that stalls the game until completed.

What about completely different engines the unreal engine and mine craft? Still getting the stuttering in something like Team Fortress 2 or counter-strike?

6 minutes ago, Cafuddled said:

https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-2022-df-direct-weekly-talks-state-of-play-and-horizon-forbidden-west-post-patch-image-quality

It's due to shader compilation which in Unreal Engine 4 is handled particularly very poorly, being a single core process that stalls the game until completed.

What about completely different engines the unreal engine and mine craft? Still getting the stuttering in something like Team Fortress 2 or counter-strike?

Gears 5 I get stutters sometimes, but that's also on Unreal Engine (even though it's a HIGHLY optimized game). Rainbow 6 Siege I will very rarely.

I need to test something like Vermintide 2 since it is very CPU intensive.

Though I had seen my FSB:DRAM ratio is not 1:1 at all, which could be a problem. For some reason my DRAM is like 30x faster than FSB.

9 hours ago, TTG24 said:

I am guessing this is poopy?

image.png.4ecdf5a35959f7cac1f055daded41614.png

image.png.56055ba75a7eabd652f7af3debfe646e.png

EDIT: I do have 64GB of RAM, so I feel like the nanoseconds aren't too far off from being normal.

🧐 Yeah, its better than where I started off, but its still pretty high. You at least want it to be no higher than in the 60's range, some people say. 

6 hours ago, Cafuddled said:

He said it happens in Minecraft and Call of Duty games as well though, so its likely not the Unreal engine. 🤷‍♂️

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

@TTG24No higher than the 60s range for your cas latency I meant. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

9 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

He said it happens in Minecraft and Call of Duty games as well though, so its likely not the Unreal engine. 🤷‍♂️

Like I and the article states, Unreal Engine is the worst offender.

What really needs to be done here, rather than play guess what the issue is by trying to randomly replace things and hope for the best is to diagnose the issue as best we can then see if we can fix it in software hardware. We're trying cures before we know what the disease is.

I'm tempted if I can ever find time to see what I get with these games and tests to see if I can replicate. The main issue these days is time, I've got a similar system to yours. A 5900x, 570 mobo, tuf 3080, 2TB sn850, 3200 CL16 dual rank 2x8GB RAM. All stock bar an aggressive undervolt on the GPU.

I've never put this under a microscope for frame times, but I know with Digital Foundary, all you hear about is how bad a lot of modern PC games are with frametimes and as they mention every week without fail how particularly bad UE4 games are with it.

The last one DF weekly video was damning, they had a few mentions that the industry really needs to take this issue seriously and that it is a huge issue that few are giving just merit. They even mention it makes some games borderline unplayable no matter how good your hardware is, in this week's video. These are some of the best experts we have at analyzing game performance.

11 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

🧐 Yeah, its better than where I started off, but its still pretty high. You at least want it to be no higher than in the 60's range, some people say. 

I am not sure if I will be able to manage that with the memory latency.

This is true. It happens on all games, not just the games that use Unreal Engine. However, I do not doubt the researchers.

1 hour ago, Cafuddled said:

Like I and the article states, Unreal Engine is the worst offender.

What really needs to be done here, rather than play guess what the issue is by trying to randomly replace things and hope for the best is to diagnose the issue as best we can then see if we can fix it in software hardware. We're trying cures before we know what the disease is.

I'm tempted if I can ever find time to see what I get with these games and tests to see if I can replicate. The main issue these days is time, I've got a similar system to yours. A 5900x, 570 mobo, tuf 3080, 2TB sn850, 3200 CL16 dual rank 2x8GB RAM. All stock bar an aggressive undervolt on the GPU.

I've never put this under a microscope for frame times, but I know with Digital Foundary, all you hear about is how bad a lot of modern PC games are with frametimes and as they mention every week without fail how particularly bad UE4 games are with it.

The last one DF weekly video was damning, they had a few mentions that the industry really needs to take this issue seriously and that it is a huge issue that few are giving just merit. They even mention it makes some games borderline unplayable no matter how good your hardware is, in this week's video. These are some of the best experts we have at analyzing game performance.

I agree with the industry being absolutely awful in these new "modern" games. Play any old game, it will 80% of the time have zero issues. They took care of their games back then. Now, it's just a copy and paste mess, hoping it makes the cut.

I've honestly have never been so disappointed ever since 2018-2019. It's all a mess!

2 hours ago, TTG24 said:

I am not sure if I will be able to manage that with the memory latency.

This is true. It happens on all games, not just the games that use Unreal Engine. However, I do not doubt the researchers.

I agree with the industry being absolutely awful in these new "modern" games. Play any old game, it will 80% of the time have zero issues. They took care of their games back then. Now, it's just a copy and paste mess, hoping it makes the cut.

I've honestly have never been so disappointed ever since 2018-2019. It's all a mess!

🤷‍♂️ Well everything he said basically boils down to latency again, and when it comes to latency, your RAM is less than desirable to say the least. There is really nothing else you haven't tried already except tweaking your ram timings. Sure, the games aren't optimized like they used to. We've known that for a long time. Literally, the only games I haven't had much issue with are Microsoft published games, and that's because you tend to get a Microsoft game when its ready, from a technical standpoint. They will delay your shit in a heartbeat if they see it ain't ready. They delayed Halo Infinite a whole year, and just did it to Starfield. But these types of issues are exactly why the console platform ain't going anywhere.

I can buy the same games on an Xbox Series X and have a smooth experience, pretty much guaranteed. On a PC, you're doing half the job optimizing the platform for the game. Gotta be a damn nerd to enjoy games on a PC unmolested, and that should never be the case. The most the customer should be responsible for is meeting the required specs for the game, but that's only in an ideal world. On a console, there is none of this shit. You just plug the game in and play it, huge difference. And in my over 20 years gaming on console, I don't remember a single solitary instance of stuttering ever occurring. Seen more than my fair share of it on PC the last four years alone though, among other issues. And, again, pretty much the only games in my collection I haven't experienced stuttering in is Forza Horizon 4 and Halo infinite, Microsoft games. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10