Stuttering Randomly In Games (Rarely On Desktop)

Go to solution Solved by Cafuddled,

One thing you said a while ago struck me. You said you lock at 120fps on all settings low so your CPU is not being hit hard. But 120fps is still heavy on a CPU, in fact with your CPU you have the old infinity fabric over two CCDs of 6 cores each. They are known to be super laggy. Have you tried to disable one of your CCDs in ryzen master, I think "gaming mode" or low latency (what ever they call it) does this by default.

Let me know if this helps stabilize your frame times. 

4 hours ago, Zurovax said:

It was indeed the CPU

I just turned on my computer and the same issue had occurred just now on my new motherboard that also had happened on my other motherboard. The LED post-code got stuck on DRAM.

It is not the RAM because I have done *many*, and I mean *many*, different configurations. I could be missing something, but D.O.C.P is what I have on, I have increased the latency (making the numbers higher), added more voltage, turned off D.O.C.P, and even set the SOC voltage to 1.2 (not recommended).

My CPU has either died down or something very small within the unit itself is having issues.

What else would there be to do now to "reduce" this other than buying a new CPU?

🤔Well, like I told the other guy, the 3700X doesn't hold a candle even to the 5600X. If Zen 3 doesn't have this issue, then there is little reason to stick with a Zen 2 CPU.

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

13 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

🤔Well, like I told the other guy, the 3700X doesn't hold a candle even to the 5600X. If Zen 3 doesn't have this issue, then there is little reason to stick with a Zen 2 CPU.

Hard to just buy a new CPU with the prices they have, especially with a 3900x with 12 cores and potentially downgrading to a 6 core.

8 hours ago, Zurovax said:

What else would there be to do now to "reduce" this other than buying a new CPU?

If you really feel it's the CPU, is it not still in warranty by AMD? Have you tried taking it to a PC repair shop to drop in another test CPU to give you closure?

2 hours ago, Cafuddled said:

If you really feel it's the CPU, is it not still in warranty by AMD? Have you tried taking it to a PC repair shop to drop in another test CPU to give you closure?

Not sure if AMD gives warranty, rather the company who makes the computers (HP, Dell, etc.).

I could take it to Best Buy, that is possible.

I do feel it is the CPU since 80% of the components have been swapped to test if it they were an issue. Only the PSU and CPU have not, and the PSU doesn't seem like an issue, so CPU is last on the list. We have gone through a lot of software changes and updates, that did not fix it either.

4 hours ago, Zurovax said:

Not sure if AMD gives warranty, rather the company who makes the computers (HP, Dell, etc.).

I could take it to Best Buy, that is possible.

I do feel it is the CPU since 80% of the components have been swapped to test if it they were an issue. Only the PSU and CPU have not, and the PSU doesn't seem like an issue, so CPU is last on the list. We have gone through a lot of software changes and updates, that did not fix it either.

Just read that AMD don't offer warranty on their CPUs if purchased in an OEM... that's really a cop out, since it's 3 years for purchased in box CPUs and OEMs are typically one year with the option to pay more for more... more reasons to build your own PC!

Personally I would take it into a small computer store, if you have any around. Sometimes they'll drop I'm a core and let you test for a hand full of dollars where bestbuy will try to sign you up to some kind of plan or insist on sending it away where some person who does not give any Fs will not even see the issue, likely costing you a heap in the process.

Call the small independent stores first, you'll want to bring your screen in as well to ensure test is accurate.

9 hours ago, Cafuddled said:

Just read that AMD don't offer warranty on their CPUs if purchased in an OEM... that's really a cop out, since it's 3 years for purchased in box CPUs and OEMs are typically one year with the option to pay more for more... more reasons to build your own PC!

Personally I would take it into a small computer store, if you have any around. Sometimes they'll drop I'm a core and let you test for a hand full of dollars where bestbuy will try to sign you up to some kind of plan or insist on sending it away where some person who does not give any Fs will not even see the issue, likely costing you a heap in the process.

Call the small independent stores first, you'll want to bring your screen in as well to ensure test is accurate.

Mine isn't a prebuilt. Bought the 3900x in 2019, which is passed 3 years. Too late for that.

I believe my grandma is already in the BestBuy plan or whatever, but cannot remember. There is, however, a store not too far from there. However however (lol), I have went to that computer store once before with a 2080 because the temps would idle in 50's, jump to 90's, and she said "it was normal behavior". Obviously, that's bs.

BestBuy has always fixed an issue every time I have brought up any hardware to them, so it would be my best option.

2 hours ago, Zurovax said:

Mine isn't a prebuilt. Bought the 3900x in 2019, which is passed 3 years. Too late for that.

I believe my grandma is already in the BestBuy plan or whatever, but cannot remember. There is, however, a store not too far from there. However however (lol), I have went to that computer store once before with a 2080 because the temps would idle in 50's, jump to 90's, and she said "it was normal behavior". Obviously, that's bs.

BestBuy has always fixed an issue every time I have brought up any hardware to them, so it would be my best option.

Well, unless you legitimately need a 12 core CPU for production work or something, a 5600X is perfectly fine for gaming. A 12 core Ryzen 3000 CPU isn't going to do anything for you in gaming, especially compared to a Ryzen 5000 CPU. If getting a newly released CPU that cost less than $200 can solve this issue, I'd do it in a heartbeat if I mostly game. 🤷‍♂️

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

2 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

Well, unless you legitimately need a 12 core CPU for production work or something, a 5600X is perfectly fine for gaming. A 12 core Ryzen 3000 CPU isn't going to do anything for you in gaming, especially compared to a Ryzen 5000 CPU. If getting a newly released CPU that cost less than $200 can solve this issue, I'd do it in a heartbeat if I mostly game. 🤷‍♂️

Of course. However, as you mentioned at the start of this comment, that's exactly why I have the 3900x. I use Premiere Pro and Photoshop.

I will need to save up for either getting AM5 or immediately jumping to something already woven out, a 5950x.

Well, I am saddened now. Everything was going well, until the stuttering returned.

Genuinely thought the CPU would be the issue.

I am certainly at a complete loss now.... 😢

image.png.496128775816215cd90cf79d8c016a66.png

Rainbow Six Siege, just sitting on the menu. Big microstutters. Ignore the 22FPS, CPU Prioritization when tabbing out of the game.

EDIT: Just look at how BAD this is!

7 hours ago, Zurovax said:

Well, I am saddened now. Everything was going well, until the stuttering returned.

Genuinely thought the CPU would be the issue.

I am certainly at a complete loss now.... 😢

image.png.496128775816215cd90cf79d8c016a66.png

Rainbow Six Siege, just sitting on the menu. Big microstutters. Ignore the 22FPS, CPU Prioritization when tabbing out of the game.

EDIT: Just look at how BAD this is!

🤔 So you mean its still happening with a different CPU? And, a 5900X would be sufficient. Its a 12 core like your 3900x. I don't see why you need a 5950X, should you upgrade. 🤷‍♂️

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Just swap for the same CPU or did you drop in a 5000 to test?

5 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

🤔 So you mean its still happening with a different CPU? And, a 5900X would be sufficient. Its a 12 core like your 3900x. I don't see why you need a 5950X, should you upgrade. 🤷‍♂️

Yes, still happening on different CPU. That means every component has been changed and tested except the PSU.

2 hours ago, Zurovax said:

Yes, still happening on different CPU. That means every component has been changed and tested except the PSU.

I doubt its the power supply, but won't hurt to try another one and rule it out I guess. But I still think its a software issue of Some type, just gotta find it. 🤔

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

4 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

I doubt its the power supply, but won't hurt to try another one and rule it out I guess. But I still think its a software issue of Some type, just gotta find it. 🤔

It could be software, could maybe be my M.2's? Any other suggestions?

3 hours ago, Zurovax said:

It could be software, could maybe be my M.2's? Any other suggestions?

Your storage device? Well, I mean you said you trimmed it already. And I'm sure its in good condition, which you can verify with the app below. Have you tried disabling full screen optimization through the games exe file? That seemed to have fixed the stuttering for some people in Microsoft Flight Sim 2020 at least. I also have it disabled for all my games for the hell of it. 🤷‍♂️

https://crystalmark.info/en/download/

Enable or Disable Fullscreen Optimizations in Windows 10 | Tutorials

🤔 Also, assuming this doesn't work, where do you have your O.S and games installed? I see you have two different SSD's. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

2 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

Your storage device? Well, I mean you said you trimmed it already. And I'm sure its in good condition, which you can verify with the app below. Have you tried disabling full screen optimization through the games exe file? That seemed to have fixed the stuttering for some people in Microsoft Flight Sim 2020 at least. I also have it disabled for all my games for the hell of it. 🤷‍♂️

https://crystalmark.info/en/download/

Enable or Disable Fullscreen Optimizations in Windows 10 | Tutorials

🤔 Also, assuming this doesn't work, where do you have your O.S and games installed? I see you have two different SSD's. 

Best to check anyway. It is running at its' rated speeds.

But, look at this from LatencyMon

image.thumb.png.1cd2aeb49e88dce5e6d7ae69679ee585.png

"stor'nvme'.sys" NVME is quite odd. 707.30 latency. Most of the pagefaults are coming from msmpeng.exe, which apparently is Antimalware software from Windows.

Power management is AMD High Performance, idk how that could be an issue. CPU throttling settings? I would have Global C-states and IOMMU off in BIOS. Even at default bios settings, still have the issues though.

5 hours ago, Zurovax said:

Just simply moving my mouse

But, did you try disabling fullscreen optimization? 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

7 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

But, did you try disabling fullscreen optimization? 

Yes

image.thumb.png.025bc6e8f0c0f8543828e2a1eb438bce.png

So I was on Minecraft 1.18.2 and the rendering on there has 3 different options, all have stuttered.

I went to 1.8.9 (the supported version for Hypixel) and look at this rendering:

I'm not sure what hardware could be causing this.

UPDATE: When changing from a DisplayPort to an HDMI, my computer almost immediately booted into Windows, much faster than any other time I have started it up.

I am having less stutters, but they are still awful.

It pretty much narrows down to this:

image.thumb.png.8147c57814c974e3f31301b2f76f74c7.png

No matter what driver I install, nvlddmkm.sys always spikes.

EDIT: Put my Samsung M.2 into a completely different system, no fresh install, still stutters. Will try fresh

Edit 2: Did not help. I put back the normal m.2 from 2nd system, and for some reason that had stuttering to. However, going in and out of fullscreen stopped it on Minecraft. The driver was 490.07 i think. I updated it to the latest, i could not remove the stutter anymore, it came back. Wonder what the most stable driver is right now

Edited by Zurovax

3 hours ago, Zurovax said:

It pretty much narrows down to this:

image.thumb.png.8147c57814c974e3f31301b2f76f74c7.png

No matter what driver I install, nvlddmkm.sys always spikes.

EDIT: Put my Samsung M.2 into a completely different system, no fresh install, still stutters. Will try fresh

Edit 2: Did not help. I put back the normal m.2 from 2nd system, and for some reason that had stuttering to. However, going in and out of fullscreen stopped it on Minecraft. The driver was 490.07 i think. I updated it to the latest, i could not remove the stutter anymore, it came back. Wonder what the most stable driver is right now

🤔Ok, well, have you tried running SFC /scannow for possible corrupted system files? Chances are, it will find something. I'd run it in safe mode of course. I can imagine the problems corrupted Windows files could cause. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

3 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

🤔Ok, well, have you tried running SFC /scannow for possible corrupted system files? Chances are, it will find something. I'd run it in safe mode of course. I can imagine the problems corrupted Windows files could cause. 

No errors.

What I have done so far (some I have done both on and off, and defaults, yet stutters have still occurred) - 

In BIOS:

Latest BIOS, Wi-Fi OFF, 2.5Gbe OFF (back to my Strix x570-e Gaming mobo), USB powerdown OFF, Global C-State OFF, Aura OFF, all PCI to Gen 3 or lower, D.O.C.P ON, negative offset to CPU of -0.0750, PBO ON, LLC Level 5, SOC Voltage 1.15v, Armoury Crate OFF, CSM OFF, Fast Boot OFF, Boot Logo OFF, Resizable Bar ON & OFF

In Windows:

Privacy OFF (from settings), Pagefile OFF, Adjusted for performance (advanced system settings), Remote Access OFF, Features ON - .NET 3.5 (2.0 and 3.0) ON, Features OFF - Hyper-V; Media Features; Microsoft Print to PDF; Microsoft XPS Document Writer; Print and Document Services; Remote Differential Compression API Support; SMB Direct; Windows Powershell 2.0; Work Folders Client;, Hibernation File OFF, Restore Points OFF, Temp - %Temp% - Prefetch CLEANED, HPET OFF (and other devices not needed in device manager), /sfc scannow, Power Plan - AMD High Performance (settings to 100%), Gaming Mode ON/OFF, Gamebar OFF, ISLC ON/OFF, Fresh installs of both W10 & W11 (neither helped), Updated both Windows' to latest

Monitor:

Has been reset, VBR ON/OFF, G-Sync Compatible ON/OFF, ELMB ON/OFF, Mute ON/OFF

Physically:

Swapped all components, Used storage device on another system (still stuttered, then used the 2nd system's storage device and by going in & out of fullscreen fixed the stuttering), changed from DisplayPort to HDMI (helped the GPU and system overall, loading quicker, stutter is still there however)

I am not sure what else there is to do... 😔

23 minutes ago, Zurovax said:

No errors.

What I have done so far (some I have done both on and off, and defaults, yet stutters have still occurred) - 

In BIOS:

Latest BIOS, Wi-Fi OFF, 2.5Gbe OFF (back to my Strix x570-e Gaming mobo), USB powerdown OFF, Global C-State OFF, Aura OFF, all PCI to Gen 3 or lower, D.O.C.P ON, negative offset to CPU of -0.0750, PBO ON, LLC Level 5, SOC Voltage 1.15v, Armoury Crate OFF, CSM OFF, Fast Boot OFF, Boot Logo OFF, Resizable Bar ON & OFF

In Windows:

Privacy OFF (from settings), Pagefile OFF, Adjusted for performance (advanced system settings), Remote Access OFF, Features ON - .NET 3.5 (2.0 and 3.0) ON, Features OFF - Hyper-V; Media Features; Microsoft Print to PDF; Microsoft XPS Document Writer; Print and Document Services; Remote Differential Compression API Support; SMB Direct; Windows Powershell 2.0; Work Folders Client;, Hibernation File OFF, Restore Points OFF, Temp - %Temp% - Prefetch CLEANED, HPET OFF (and other devices not needed in device manager), /sfc scannow, Power Plan - AMD High Performance (settings to 100%), Gaming Mode ON/OFF, Gamebar OFF, ISLC ON/OFF, Fresh installs of both W10 & W11 (neither helped)

Monitor:

Has been reset, VBR ON/OFF, G-Sync Compatible ON/OFF, ELMB ON/OFF, Mute ON/OFF

Physically:

Swapped all components, Used storage device on another system (still stuttered, then used the 2nd system's storage device and by going in & out of fullscreen fixed the stuttering), changed from DisplayPort to HDMI (helped the GPU and system overall, loading quicker, stutter is still there however)

I am not sure what else there is to do... 😔

😕 You wouldn't happen to have a spare monitor on hand would you? Just a hunch I guess. Also, for some people in the past, it was Cortana causing the stuttering. I have that disabled too. They also recommend disabling any video recording apps for now as well among other things. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10