Stuttering Randomly In Games (Rarely On Desktop)

Go to solution Solved by Cafuddled,

One thing you said a while ago struck me. You said you lock at 120fps on all settings low so your CPU is not being hit hard. But 120fps is still heavy on a CPU, in fact with your CPU you have the old infinity fabric over two CCDs of 6 cores each. They are known to be super laggy. Have you tried to disable one of your CCDs in ryzen master, I think "gaming mode" or low latency (what ever they call it) does this by default.

Let me know if this helps stabilize your frame times. 

8 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

😕 You wouldn't happen to have a spare monitor on hand would you? Just a hunch I guess. Also, for some people in the past, it was Cortana causing the stuttering. I have that disabled too. They also recommend disabling any video recording apps for now as well among other things. 

I have tried my other monitor, same issue.

Cortana... that would really suck to not be able to search for things 😞 I will try though.

No video recording things in the background

6 minutes ago, Zurovax said:

I have tried my other monitor, same issue.

Cortana... that would really suck to not be able to search for things 😞 I will try though.

No video recording things in the background

🙂 You can do without it if its causing you pain and suffering. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

4 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

🙂 You can do without it if its causing you pain and suffering. 

Of course, lol. Using Winaero, it didn't seem to remove Cortana (since I'm back on Windows 11).

However, I do have Pro version of CCleaner and now Cortana is gone. I can surprisingly still search.

I will update on how this goes.

Update: So, with using CCleaner, was able to delete, remove, disable, and fix more deeper Windows 11 services/applications. Fixed some registry keys, removed Cortana, and so far, the stuttering is still there.

Might have to just deal with it. Any more suggestions to give?

12 hours ago, Zurovax said:

Update: So, with using CCleaner, was able to delete, remove, disable, and fix more deeper Windows 11 services/applications. Fixed some registry keys, removed Cortana, and so far, the stuttering is still there.

Might have to just deal with it. Any more suggestions to give?

😕 We're running out of options here. What I'd do is go into "system configuration", then back to "services", make sure "hide all Microsoft services" is checked, and then click on "disable all". Restart your computer afterwards. Its gotta be something, but the fact that the stuttering was happening less when changing to an HDMI cable is rather odd. It almost indicates the monitor itself being the culprit somehow. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

29 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

😕 We're running out of options here. What I'd do is go into "system configuration", then back to "services", make sure "hide all Microsoft services" is checked, and then click on "disable all". Restart your computer afterwards. Its gotta be something, but the fact that the stuttering was happening less when changing to an HDMI cable is rather odd. It almost indicates the monitor itself being the culprit somehow. 

I have done safe mode, however not only disabled services. Will try.

I have tried a different monitor and it had still occurred, so I'm thinking maybe the cable or GPU could be it. When I tested the same game and server on a different PC on Minecraft version 1.18.2, the stuttering had still happened until going in and out of fullscreen, though it then came back when updating to latest NVIDIA drivers and could not be fixed going in and out of fullscreen.

I would say GPU driver, but it just would not make any sense if HDMI made oddities smoother than with a DP. I could try that driver version, 490.07, and see what happens.

I did already test a different GPU with my setup and that GPU only had an HDMI port with no DP output. I did not test the fullscreen method, but if it had worked already on another system that also experienced the same stuttering, no need to test it.

TL;DR - I will try disabling all services.

20 minutes ago, Zurovax said:

I have done safe mode, however not only disabled services. Will try.

I have tried a different monitor and it had still occurred, so I'm thinking maybe the cable or GPU could be it. When I tested the same game and server on a different PC on Minecraft version 1.18.2, the stuttering had still happened until going in and out of fullscreen, though it then came back when updating to latest NVIDIA drivers and could not be fixed going in and out of fullscreen.

I would say GPU driver, but it just would not make any sense if HDMI made oddities smoother than with a DP. I could try that driver version, 490.07, and see what happens.

I did already test a different GPU with my setup and that GPU only had an HDMI port with no DP output. I did not test the fullscreen method, but if it had worked already on another system that also experienced the same stuttering, no need to test it.

TL;DR - I will try disabling all services.

😱 Not all services though, just the non Microsoft ones, to be clear. The third party services is what I'm referring to. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Update: Disabling services did not help.

image.png.17f999a16ce2a0750589f4296a17a947.png

Should I download this certified/recommended driver and test it? It's the Windows 11 launch driver.

1 minute ago, BlackManINC said:

😱 Not all services though, just the non Microsoft ones, to be clear. The third party services is what I'm referring to. 

Yes, of course. No fix.

So... big news. I'm finding a lot of interesting posts on the NVIDIA forums about how 512 is stable and then afterwards it is a laggy mess. Then, I found a few that says 512 is also buggy and that the driver I took a screenshot of above is where there are no issues.

Slow PC after 512.95 | NVIDIA GeForce Forums

I will be in contact with NVIDIA to see what driver they recommend.

2 minutes ago, Zurovax said:

So... big news. I'm finding a lot of interesting posts on the NVIDIA forums about how 512 is stable and then afterwards it is a laggy mess. Then, I found a few that says 512 is also buggy and that the driver I took a screenshot of above is where there are no issues.

Slow PC after 512.95 | NVIDIA GeForce Forums

I will be in contact with NVIDIA to see what driver they recommend.

🤷‍♂️ Yeah you've got nothing to lose to try different drivers. Probably was a driver issue the whole time. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

2 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

🤷‍♂️ Yeah you've got nothing to lose to try different drivers. Probably was a driver issue the whole time. 

I got no help from NVIDIA other than them saying "it is absolutely normal". I even mentioned beforehand that it did not happen on a different system, yet still insisted it being normal.

Just that alone makes me think it's NVIDIA as a company and their poopy drivers causing issues. I also had mentioned the HDMI swap, they mentioned it could be a bad cable or "lower version", as if that makes any sense.

I then brought up if I should have High Performance or leave it at default, Quality, and he said "it is based on preference". That DOES NOT help anything! I'm asking for recommendations and help, and all I get is "it's up to you 😊". It is so stupid.

So, I have 472.12 installed and I am going to see what happens.

1 hour ago, Zurovax said:

I got no help from NVIDIA other than them saying "it is absolutely normal". I even mentioned beforehand that it did not happen on a different system, yet still insisted it being normal.

Just that alone makes me think it's NVIDIA as a company and their poopy drivers causing issues. I also had mentioned the HDMI swap, they mentioned it could be a bad cable or "lower version", as if that makes any sense.

I then brought up if I should have High Performance or leave it at default, Quality, and he said "it is based on preference". That DOES NOT help anything! I'm asking for recommendations and help, and all I get is "it's up to you 😊". It is so stupid.

So, I have 472.12 installed and I am going to see what happens.

🤔Well, there are different versions of HDMI and DP cables. It should tell you which one it is on the cable itself, much like Ethernet cables do. It MIGHT have something to do with the stuttering, especially since it improved after changing cables, I'm just not sure exactly how much it affects performance. This is the first time I've ever seen a cable be a reason why this is happening in any way. But as far as whether or not you should have it on "high performance", I highly recommend you keep it on high performance. But there is also a "ultimate performance power plan" that you might want to try instead of "high performance", as shown below. I use a program called 'Process Lasso". They have a power plan that is equivalent to it. Here is how one of them explains it in a nutshell on their forum:

Ultimate Power Plan.jpg

And you should be able to enable it as shown here in this image. You'll notice I have "Bitsum Highest Performance" selected. That's basically an option available in Process Lasso that is equivalent to Microsoft's Ultimate Power Plan. 

Ultimate Power Plan 2.jpg

Also, you do have the games exe file set to "high performance" in the graphics settings tab right? 

Graphics Settings.jpg

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

6 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

🤔Well, there are different versions of HDMI and DP cables. It should tell you which one it is on the cable itself, much like Ethernet cables do. It MIGHT have something to do with the stuttering, especially since it improved after changing cables, I'm just not sure exactly how much it affects performance. This is the first time I've ever seen a cable be a reason why this is happening in any way. But as far as whether or not you should have it on "high performance", I highly recommend you keep it on high performance. But there is also a "ultimate performance power plan" that you might want to try instead of "high performance", as shown below. I use a program called 'Process Lasso". They have a power plan that is equivalent to it. Here is how one of them explains it in a nutshell on their forum:

Ultimate Power Plan.jpg

And you should be able to enable it as shown here in this image. You'll notice I have "Bitsum Highest Performance" selected. That's basically an option available in Process Lasso that is equivalent to Microsoft's Ultimate Power Plan. 

Also, you do have the games exe file set to "high performance" in the graphics settings tab right? 

Graphics Settings.jpg

Quite the information.

I have ordered a new HDMI to see if I could alleviate that as being a problem to the stuttering, HDMI 2.1. That should be fine with my scenario.

Yes, my gaming applications are set to High Performance in the Graphics settings.

I have tried Project Lasso before and it started to mess up my computer a little. Not that I do not trust it, I would rather do a simple command-line to enable Ultimate Power Mode. I will try it. I had only used the AMD High Performance for my 3900x since AMD suggested to use it so the boosted frequencies actually work. Though looking at the difference, it just turns off the hard disk sleep setting and sets min and max percentages to 100%, which I already do anyway. Will still test though.

As for when I was mentioning High Performance, I meant in the NVIDIA Control Panel with texture filtering, not power plan 😅

24 minutes ago, Zurovax said:

Quite the information.

I have ordered a new HDMI to see if I could alleviate that as being a problem to the stuttering, HDMI 2.1. That should be fine with my scenario.

Yes, my gaming applications are set to High Performance in the Graphics settings.

I have tried Project Lasso before and it started to mess up my computer a little. Not that I do not trust it, I would rather do a simple command-line to enable Ultimate Power Mode. I will try it. I had only used the AMD High Performance for my 3900x since AMD suggested to use it so the boosted frequencies actually work. Though looking at the difference, it just turns off the hard disk sleep setting and sets min and max percentages to 100%, which I already do anyway. Will still test though.

As for when I was mentioning High Performance, I meant in the NVIDIA Control Panel with texture filtering, not power plan 😅

😅Oh, well I can't really speak on the high performance in Nvidia's control panel. I just asked on Bitsums forum the difference between AMD high performance and Bitsums Highest Performance. Do you know if it disables core parking? Because the regular high performance plan sure as hell doesn't. 🤔

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

I've been asking around. Apparently, AMD doesn't even support the Ryzen power plan for Ryzen 5000 CPU's. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

17 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

I've been asking around. Apparently, AMD doesn't even support the Ryzen power plan for Ryzen 5000 CPU's. 

I believe that is because it is built to do so within the CPU itself, as where 3000's did not, requiring a power plan.

I could be wrong.

25 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

😅Oh, well I can't really speak on the high performance in Nvidia's control panel. I just asked on Bitsums forum the difference between AMD high performance and Bitsums Highest Performance. Do you know if it disables core parking? Because the regular high performance plan sure as hell doesn't. 🤔

I am not sure if it disables core parking, but it might since AMD suggested doing so with 3000's and below.

1 hour ago, BlackManINC said:

Ultimate Power Plan.jpg

Graphics Settings.jpg

Suggested steps on here did not remove the stuttering. I had tested Gears 5, a really really really optimized game, and it still has happened.

1 minute ago, Zurovax said:

Suggested steps on here did not remove the stuttering. I had tested Gears 5, a really really really optimized game, and it still has happened.

😕 Dammit...well, at this point, it has to be something up with your monitor cables I guess. I'm out of options..for now at least. 🤔

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

@Zurovax Curious, in Device manager, does it show more than one monitor under the 'monitors' tab when clicking on "show hidden devices"? Is there one faded out? 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

30 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

@Zurovax Curious, in Device manager, does it show more than one monitor under the 'monitors' tab when clicking on "show hidden devices"? Is there one faded out? 

There is not.

31 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

😕 Dammit...well, at this point, it has to be something up with your monitor cables I guess. I'm out of options..for now at least. 🤔

I have tried a different monitor already. The HDMI 2.1 cable I just ordered got delivered a few minutes ago. I will test this one out and see how it goes.

Update: The new cable did not change anything. However, it does feel slightly, very slightly, better. I'm sure that's with just having a better cable.

So, with having the first Windows 11 NVIDIA driver, new display cable, trying a different monitor, and trying some suggestions from NVIDIA, no luck.

Playing Black Ops 4 right now, capping it at 240 had less stutters, then putting it at unlimited increased the stuttering by 50% more (even though they are tiny spikes)

Edited by Zurovax

13 minutes ago, Zurovax said:

There is not.

I have tried a different monitor already. The HDMI 2.1 cable I just ordered got delivered a few minutes ago. I will test this one out and see how it goes.

🤞here it goes then

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

New update: I was just doing my usual thing, testing games. I have not really noticed much stuttering anymore in certain games, Fortnite and Minecraft are still just a little bit. I had went back to the latest NVIDIA driver, and same situation - not much games stuttering.

May seem fine and dandy, but when I was trying to edit a video with Premiere Pro, my GPU just crashed or shut off. My screen went black and all I could hear was my YouTube video playing in the background.

I have had this GPU since 2019, and it is a GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 Super WINDFORCE OC 3X 8G Graphics Card, the first revision. They have made many revisions since, and I am 100% certain that they are way better than what I have now.

I already have my GPU undervolted, and all slides lowered in MSI Afterburner, so that should say something.

Update: Someone had suggested lowering the polling rate of my devices on the NVIDIA forums. I completely forgot that could cause issues, especially with Minecraft sometimes. I remember AntVenom, a Minecraft YouTuber, had made an entire video on the matter.

However, to no avail, my issue still persists.

Digital foundry has been speaking a lot recently about stutter issues with the unreal engine. I remember some of your tests were with fortnight which uses this engine. Food for thought... you never did answer if you've dropped in a 5000 chip for testing sake.