Difference in brands for SFP+ to RJ45 10Gb Modules

Go to solution Solved by LAwLz,
8 hours ago, PenguinMaster said:

I have a couple of questions about my ubiquiti setup and about some SFP+ to RJ45 adapters.

Before I answer the rest of your questions I'd like to warn you about 10GBASE-T SFP+ modules.

Those SFPs usually do not follow the SFP+ spec when it comes to power consumption. SFP+ ports are only rated for up to 1.5 watts of power. Meanwhile, those modules you linked can demand up to 2.5 watts of power (in some cases even more). As a result, you might get issues with heat or power if you connect too many of them to the same switch. IF you must use 10GBASE-T modules, it is strongly recommended to not put them next to each other. 

Secondly, 10GBASE-T modules have much higher latency than fiber modules or DAC cables (about 10-20 times higher). Might not matter a lot if you are just using this at home, but it is worth noting. This matters a lot for things like storage usage.

Is there any reason the Dream Machine Pro would need to be connected through 10G rather than just 1G?

It depends on where the routing is done. Are all machines on the same network? If they are then it doesn't really matter.

If for example your server and your PCs are on two different networks and your UDP-Pro is doing the routing, then you will be limited to 1Gbps if that's your connection to the UDP-Pro.

My other question was about these 10Gb SFP+ to RJ45 adapters.  I need these to connect a few desktops to my Ubiquiti Switch Aggregation.

Is there any difference between these?  Are any brands better than others?

The brand doesn't really matter. What does smatter however is the fact that some of those modules you linked support multiple speed settings, while others don't.

For example the first FS module you linked and the QSFPTEK module supports 10/5/2.5/1 Gbps rates.

Both the H!Fiber and FLYPRO ONLY support 10/1Gbps rates.

In other words, if you are planning on connecting some 2.5Gbps device then you need to get the FS module or QSFPTEK module. The H!Fiber and FLYPRO will only run at 1Gbps or 10Gbps, not 2.5Gbps or 5Gbps.

The difference between the normal and industrial variant of the FS-module is that the industrial one can handle higher and lower temperatures. It won't be useful for your home network unless you for some reason has the switch mounted outside, or inside your oven.

Hi all

I have a couple of questions about my ubiquiti setup and about some SFP+ to RJ45 adapters.  I wired my house for 10GbE (Cat6A) and for some of the devices I want to be able to utilize the full 10GbE connection.  I recently bought a Ubiquiti USW-Aggregation which has 8x 10Gb SFP+ ports on it.  I also have 2 other switches, a USW-Enterprise-8-PoE and a USW-Pro-24.  My router is a UDM Pro.  I plan to use the Switch Aggregation to connect the switches together as well as use 4 of the ports for computers I want to have 10G on and also one port for a NAS.  My original plan was to aggregate 2x 10G SFP+ ports together to connect the other two switches together which would use up 4 of the ports, 2 10G links for each.  The other 3 would be used for desktops around the house and the last one as I said would be used for the NAS.  Is there any reason the Dream Machine Pro would need to be connected through 10G rather than just 1G?  My internet connection is only 1G so the only reason I could see the need for 10G would be for the NVR access to the drive in the Dream Machine Pro but I doubt you'd need 10G for a mechanical HDD.  Let me know if I'm wrong

My other question was about these 10Gb SFP+ to RJ45 adapters.  I need these to connect a few desktops to my Ubiquiti Switch Aggregation.

FS.com option 1

Amazon option 2

Amazon option 3

Amazon option 4

There's also this "Industrial" one from FS.com.

Thanks for anyones input!

If you need me to follow up on something, please quote or tag me.

8 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

FS.com king tier.

I second this. For our GPON network and connectors and such, we prefer FS cables and gear over others. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I have a couple of questions about my ubiquiti setup and about some SFP+ to RJ45 adapters.

Before I answer the rest of your questions I'd like to warn you about 10GBASE-T SFP+ modules.

Those SFPs usually do not follow the SFP+ spec when it comes to power consumption. SFP+ ports are only rated for up to 1.5 watts of power. Meanwhile, those modules you linked can demand up to 2.5 watts of power (in some cases even more). As a result, you might get issues with heat or power if you connect too many of them to the same switch. IF you must use 10GBASE-T modules, it is strongly recommended to not put them next to each other. 

Secondly, 10GBASE-T modules have much higher latency than fiber modules or DAC cables (about 10-20 times higher). Might not matter a lot if you are just using this at home, but it is worth noting. This matters a lot for things like storage usage.

Is there any reason the Dream Machine Pro would need to be connected through 10G rather than just 1G?

It depends on where the routing is done. Are all machines on the same network? If they are then it doesn't really matter.

If for example your server and your PCs are on two different networks and your UDP-Pro is doing the routing, then you will be limited to 1Gbps if that's your connection to the UDP-Pro.

The brand doesn't really matter. What does smatter however is the fact that some of those modules you linked support multiple speed settings, while others don't.

For example the first FS module you linked and the QSFPTEK module supports 10/5/2.5/1 Gbps rates.

Both the H!Fiber and FLYPRO ONLY support 10/1Gbps rates.

In other words, if you are planning on connecting some 2.5Gbps device then you need to get the FS module or QSFPTEK module. The H!Fiber and FLYPRO will only run at 1Gbps or 10Gbps, not 2.5Gbps or 5Gbps.

The difference between the normal and industrial variant of the FS-module is that the industrial one can handle higher and lower temperatures. It won't be useful for your home network unless you for some reason has the switch mounted outside, or inside your oven.

8 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Those SFPs usually do not follow the SFP+ spec when it comes to power consumption

Thanks for pointing this out I did not even think about that.  I just checked this switch can support a maximum of 4 of the SFP+ to RJ45 modules with a maximum of 3W per port, so the 2.3W the FS.com adapters take should be ok.

The latency should be ok. I am only using this for my home.  All devices are going to be on the same network also.

Thanks for the rest of that information on the other SFP+ modules.  I only need them for the full 10G spec though.  I think I will go with the FS.com standard modules, not the industrial ones as they have been well recommended.  Also I've bought cables from FS.com before and I thought the quality was good.

If you need me to follow up on something, please quote or tag me.