My Computer is Everywhere.

AdamFromLTT

Luke helps Linus move his computer, Linus shows off a new cable management tool. Yvonne worries about things that actually matter.

The magnetic cable holders are frankly a waste of resources to be fair... Producing rare earth magnets isn't particularly good for the environments, so wasting the material on a cable holder seems stupid when there is so many other applications where it is more beneficial. (But I guess it is easy to get carried away by the alluring strength of rare earth magnets and completely forget their environmental impact... And it isn't like the chunky holder is using a silly amount of plastic for the application as well. Completely ignores the "reduce" part of recycling's three Rs.)

I myself tend to use screw in cable tie holders when it comes to wood.

For metal enclosures, then I tend to look for an enclosure with good enough cable management to start with, and for those times "it isn't perfect" it is still good enough. (And one can always put in some DIY work with a drill and improve it.)

One can also just use a glue on hook and loop pad of suitable size.

Magnets is rarely the solution for fastening something to something else.

So no thunderbolt this time around? all optical DP/HDMI and USB over fiber? 
Does the thunderbolt solution have higher latency for USB? The USB fiber converters are way over my budget...

5 minutes ago, ThWedum said:

So no thunderbolt this time around? all optical DP/HDMI and USB over fiber? 
Does the thunderbolt solution have higher latency for USB? The USB fiber converters are way over my budget...

I believe it's more likely that the reason is Linus and more so Yvonne have had reliability issues with Thunderbolt with Linus having mentioned that the quality of Thunderbolt support wasn't as good as Macs back in 2015 and 2019 at least. There was also talk I remember about how annoyingly expensive and overkill the motherboards that had the necessary thunderbolt ports tended to be so maybe that's part of why just go fiber and use up PCIE that didn't have other use?

Can someone on the LTT team explain the wiring to the office and duplication? Specifically:

- How does the HDMI wall port work  is wall port to server is fibre HDMI, with the fibre pair on the right being used for USB
https://youtu.be/NwXAIGmwC4I?t=317 ? Is the last mile run fibre or copper also? What hardware is used in both?

- How does display duplication work? Looks like the computer is set to replicate the display on multiple outputs, then the stereo mixer is used to switch HDMI inputs?

I'm interested in running a similar setup, and this stuff is pushing some fairly cutting edge boundaries in terms of what's actually achieved in a home environment, last thing I want is to buy a bunch of tech for it to not work 😛

7 minutes ago, burrrrrr said:

Can someone on the LTT team explain the wiring to the office and duplication? Specifically:

- How does the HDMI wall port work  is wall port to server is fibre HDMI, with the fibre pair on the right being used for USB
https://youtu.be/NwXAIGmwC4I?t=317 ? Is the last mile run fibre or copper also? What hardware is used in both?

- How does display duplication work? Looks like the computer is set to replicate the display on multiple outputs, then the stereo mixer is used to switch HDMI inputs?

I'm interested in running a similar setup, and this stuff is pushing some fairly cutting edge boundaries in terms of what's actually achieved in a home environment, last thing I want is to buy a bunch of tech for it to not work 😛

I would also love to see a link explaining all the components of this set-up, including any components the computer might need etc. if someone has one.

For example, something unexplained, how do the wireless game controllers work in the theatre room (are they connecting to the computer from that far away?). How do the other non-monitor peripherals connect to the computer?

Where can I get those magnetic cable managers.

1 hour ago, Needfuldoer said:

TONIGHT.

Luke moves a computer.

Linus shows off his tool.

And Yvonne worries about things that are actually important.

I appreciated the hell out of this. Without prompting I was reading it in Clarkson's voice.

1 hour ago, Aniallation said:

Honest question - Are we ever going to have clear normal video titles again? 

*shakes Magic 8 Ball

”Outlook not so good.”

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, wiselion said:

For example, something unexplained, how do the wireless game controllers work in the theatre room (are they connecting to the computer from that far away?). 

Those are old Xbox 360 controllers (Linus has mentioned his abiding love for them in previous videos). They definitely aren't connecting to the PC from rooms/floors away. I would assume that there is a hub somewhere in the theater room connected via a USB cable to the PC cave, and that hub has the receiver dongle for them plugged in to it? 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 hours ago, averagecdn said:

Where can I get those magnetic cable managers.

I scoured the internet before I realized they're upcoming LTT merch.

21 minutes ago, eece_ret said:

@LinusTech  House looks great.  One question, is that Satin Paint?  You know that stuff scuffs like crazy right?  Really should have gone for eggshell.

Top bants.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

My Computer is Everywhere. Just like jack.... wait that did not come out right....

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

6 hours ago, burrrrrr said:

Yes I would like to know too. I am interested to know the products used. I think watching the video again Linus references display ports so perhaps its display port in the wall along with purely USB.c over fibre which is for peripherals and audio. So i dont think its HDMI over optical at all.

Edit: Did some hunting this looks like the Icron product used for USB over fiber. https://www.icronshop.com/icron-brand/icron-raven-3124

7 hours ago, AdamFromLTT said:

Luke helps Linus move his computer, Linus shows off a new cable management tool. Yvonne worries about things that actually matter.

Is Linus still using The Aorus Oled? 

4 minutes ago, Nishshantnahsin said:

Is Linus still using The Aorus Oled? 

Yeah and it still has image retention sometimes. I'm excited to try out QD-OLED or Samsung G8. Both look kinda amazing.

Not sure if it's applicable in your usecase, but if you need a mouse or keybord for your "everywhere" computer try Unified Remote.

It's a lightweight android app that connects to any PC in the same network, and works very well as a quick alternative to mouse/keybord and media remote.

I use it to control my PC when i'm watching youtube from the bed.😉

11 hours ago, Dreadfullink said:

Did some hunting this looks like the Icron product used for USB over fiber. https://www.icronshop.com/icron-brand/icron-raven-3124

Holy crap. I mean this is a cool idea, and I'd be tempted to try it out, but $2kUSD? 🤮

And I assume that doesn't contain any optic cable either...

What versions of this work well that don't cost as much as a new computer (sans GPU)?