My CPU is reaching 90 degrees plus (water cooled)

Matthew Graham

My temperatures are fine when I turn the computer on and and on the windows Home Screen. When I load up a game, the temperatures rise, as expected, but when I close the game, the temperature doesn’t decrease, and stays at about 90 degrees even while nothing is running. I have replaced the cpu radiator fan and nothing has changed.

Pump failures are common to at least certain liquid cooling systems. There could also be a blockage in the loop. Checking this is best done with a laser / IR temperature gun, but can be done by touch if you're careful. Anywhere in the loop that is cooler than the rest, your blockage is before that. If it's all hot, you may have a weak pump.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

What CPU, what AIO, what case, what cooling configuration, what ambient temperature (roughly)? There are a lot of different factors that could contribute to this. 

Also, on water cooling, temps do tend to hold for quite a bit thanks to the thermal capacity of water. They take a while to rise, yes, but that also means it takes a while to come back down to ambient. It shouldn't be staying at 90 for an extended amount of time, odds are some voltage isn't dropping down for some reason, but I wouldn't be surprised to see temps hang for a bit. 

5 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

What CPU, what AIO, what case, what cooling configuration, what ambient temperature (roughly)? There are a lot of different factors that could contribute to this. 

Also, on water cooling, temps do tend to hold for quite a bit thanks to the thermal capacity of water. They take a while to rise, yes, but that also means it takes a while to come back down to ambient. It shouldn't be staying at 90 for an extended amount of time, odds are some voltage isn't dropping down for some reason, but I wouldn't be surprised to see temps hang for a bit. 

My cpu is a ryzen 5 3600x, everything else in my case is cooler with regular fans, the cpu water cooler is a silverstone pf120. I would have to guess that the temp inside the case is around 30 degrees or a bit warmer

10 minutes ago, Matthew Graham said:

My cpu is a ryzen 5 3600x, everything else in my case is cooler with regular fans, the cpu water cooler is a silverstone pf120. I would have to guess that the temp inside the case is around 30 degrees or a bit warmer

Monitor voltages and clock speeds in HWiNFO64. My guess is something on the CPU is still boosting way higher than it needs to and not truly going to idle (the Ryzen Boost algorithm is very complex and weirdness like that isn't super uncommon, though that is admittedly a bit of an extreme). Either that or your pump died and your CPU is thermal throttling to hell, but that'll still be shown by monitoring those things.

Does AIO Fan spin ? Is the Heatsink mounted correctly ? Did you remove the plastic foil when installing AIO ?

R9 5900X, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240, Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2, 2x16GB Kingston FuryX 3800MHZ CL18 Hynix DJR "Tuned" , Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC, Windows 11

2 minutes ago, KnoT said:

Does AIO Fan spin ? Is the Heatsink mounted correctly ? Did you remove the plastic foil when installing AIO ?

yes i installed the cooler a year and a half ago, it might have always been this hot, but i only recently checked as the fan was making a weird noise and i replaced it. 

19 minutes ago, Matthew Graham said:

the cpu water cooler is a silverstone pf120.

There's part of your problem. 120mm AIO's are typically very poor performance, and not really sufficient for a 3600x. However, it should still go down once you close the game.  Open up your case and hold the tube. Can you feel a vibration from water moving through it?

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

6 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

There's part of your problem. 120mm AIO's are typically very poor performance, and not really sufficient for a 3600x. However, it should still go down once you close the game.  Open up your case and hold the tube. Can you feel a vibration from water moving through it?

3600X is 60-95 Wat part even if not the best idea to get 120 AIO it should easily handle that.

R9 5900X, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240, Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2, 2x16GB Kingston FuryX 3800MHZ CL18 Hynix DJR "Tuned" , Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC, Windows 11

6 minutes ago, Matthew Graham said:

yes i installed the cooler a year and a half ago, it might have always been this hot, but i only recently checked as the fan was making a weird noise and i replaced it. 

My guess it that there is something wrong with one/all of those 3 thing:
AIO Fan
AIO Pump
Improper mounting of the AIO

7 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Monitor voltages and clock speeds in HWiNFO64. My guess is something on the CPU is still boosting way higher than it needs to and not truly going to idle (the Ryzen Boost algorithm is very complex and weirdness like that isn't super uncommon, though that is admittedly a bit of an extreme). Either that or your pump died and your CPU is thermal throttling to hell, but that'll still be shown by monitoring those things.

so what exactly am I looking for? How much is too much voltage and clock speed, and how will I know what the issues are because of this?

6 minutes ago, KnoT said:

3600X is 60-70 Wat part even if not the best idea to get 120 AIO it should easily handle that.

do you think it would be a good idea to change my cpu cooler to keep my cpu cool, or will this cooler be fine?

6 minutes ago, Matthew Graham said:

so what exactly am I looking for? How much is too much voltage and clock speed, and how will I know what the issues are because of this?

You could post screenshots of it here via imgur.com for example

3 minutes ago, Matthew Graham said:

do you think it would be a good idea to change my cpu cooler to keep my cpu cool, or will this cooler be fine?

imo is should be enough for Stock operation.

1 minute ago, Matthew Graham said:

Ryzen idles with high voltage, but if it's more than 1.4-1.45V, I'd be a bit shocked. 

Clock speed, I'd expect most cores to be around the ~3.8ish range with one core going up to around 4.4-4.5 (again, Ryzen idles with one core very high). 

If neither of those are around there, then something is up. You can also just post a screen shot of HWiNFO if you don't know exactly what you're looking at, it might even be something completely different that we'd notice by looking at it. 

As long as the pump isn't dead I wouldn't swap it, the 3600X isn't really that hot of a part. 120mm AIOs perform about as well as standard size tower coolers (I.E. Hyper 212) and while they aren't amazing, especially considering the price, a single tower cooler should be completely fine for keeping the 3600X cool and they can make sense in certain situations.

8 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Ryzen idles with high voltage, but if it's more than 1.4-1.45V, I'd be a bit shocked. 

Clock speed, I'd expect most cores to be around the ~3.8ish range with one core going up to around 4.4-4.5 (again, Ryzen idles with one core very high). 

If neither of those are around there, then something is up. You can also just post a screen shot of HWiNFO if you don't know exactly what you're looking at, it might even be something completely different that we'd notice by looking at it. 

As long as the pump isn't dead I wouldn't swap it, the 3600X isn't really that hot of a part. 120mm AIOs perform about as well as standard size tower coolers (I.E. Hyper 212) and while they aren't amazing, especially considering the price, a single tower cooler should be completely fine for keeping the 3600X cool and they can make sense in certain situations.

1998925740_DesktopScreenshot2022_06.05-08_59_31_02.thumb.png.5460dd61eac54b14793a3ec27f0cc682.png

5 minutes ago, Matthew Graham said:

1876513334_DesktopScreenshot2022_06.05-09_04_43_78.png.944d35f5f3effbf3f02f778f20134661.png

There's no reason that should be running at 90C. Unless the case is completely blocked from airflow (I.E. you've never cleaned a dust filter or your case doesn't have any intake holes), I'd assume that the pump has either failed or the fan is just not spinning. You can take the side panel off the case to see if the fan is spinning, temps go down significantly if you take off the panel, and if you touch the CPU block (there's not really a risk by doing this) you can see if it works (quick and dirty) if you feel it vibrating a bit. 

5 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

There's no reason that should be running at 90C. Unless the case is completely blocked from airflow (I.E. you've never cleaned a dust filter or your case doesn't have any intake holes), I'd assume that the pump has either failed or the fan is just not spinning. You can take the side panel off the case to see if the fan is spinning, temps go down significantly if you take off the panel, and if you touch the CPU block (there's not really a risk by doing this) you can see if it works (quick and dirty) if you feel it vibrating a bit. 

the pipes and the block of the cooler vibrate a bit when i touch them, and i do clean my air intakes quite often. dont know why my cpu has been getting that hot, must be due to the voltage that it is running at while i,m playing certain games. thanks for checking my cpu to see if it was the problem. 

4 minutes ago, Matthew Graham said:

the pipes and the block of the cooler vibrate a bit when i touch them, and i do clean my air intakes quite often. dont know why my cpu has been getting that hot, must be due to the voltage that it is running at while i,m playing certain games. thanks for checking my cpu to see if it was the problem. 

Keep the HWInfo open while you are playing, a game it will monitor MAX Voltages and post the new screen shot again just open the Voltages menu as well this time:V8AZ9gP.png

8 minutes ago, KnoT said:

Keep the HWInfo open while you are playing, a game it will monitor MAX Voltages and post the new screen shot again just open the Voltages menu as well this time:V8AZ9gP.png

1663963078_DesktopScreenshot2022_06.05-09_40_54_62.png.117ba2987c0ca717f1591c4ce2234573.png

this is whilst playing a game and the temps went up to 92 degrees

1663963078_DesktopScreenshot2022_06.05-09_40_54_62.png.117ba2987c0ca717f1591c4ce2234573.png

this is whilst playing a game and the temps went up to 92 degrees

Voltages are fine you could post ScreenShot of Temps tab as well while you are at it there aren't any perisomal information there so don't be afraid to provide as much as possible.. Photos of inside of your PC case could help as well.

Anyway from the limited information you provided everything point at your cooling not CPU. 90C for Zen 2 is to high imo and I would NOT use PC in that state. 

Spoiler

image.png.501196d79c0e7a2b40a64caa295c844f.png

image.png.270bd5bb5ca3cad86dbbd275124264b7.png

6 minutes ago, KnoT said:

Voltages are fine you could post ScreenShot of Temps tab as well while you are at it there aren't any perisomal information there so don't be afraid to provide as much as possible.. Photos of inside of your PC case could help as well.

Anyway from the limited information you provided everything point at your cooling not CPU. 90C for Zen 2 is to high imo and I would NOT use PC in that state. 

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.501196d79c0e7a2b40a64caa295c844f.png

image.png.270bd5bb5ca3cad86dbbd275124264b7.png

2074023718_DesktopScreenshot2022_06.05-09_56_19_28.png.bd0ce778d67159bdc1eec5a887b8c2af.png

this is after closing the game, the only thing i have open at this point is HWiNFO

7 minutes ago, Matthew Graham said:

2074023718_DesktopScreenshot2022_06.05-09_56_19_28.png.bd0ce778d67159bdc1eec5a887b8c2af.png

this is after closing the game, the only thing i have open at this point is HWiNFO

92C you mentioned is nowhere to be found tho 87C is still way to high for 3600X with 120 AIO at 60 Wats not to mention its idling at 70!C

my cpu was 92 when playing the game and i closed HWiNFO before reopening to see the temps when idle. ill take a photograph of my inside my pc to see if there is an issue with my setup.