Convince me to get something other than a Sonos Arc? Apartment 5.1.2 advice

I've had a 5.1 setup for the last couple of years, but I'm moving to a new apartment where hardwiring the speakers with a chunky AV receiver will be a nuisance. Also, TV will be mounted on a small section of the wall where I'd like to not have any shelving or media console, so I'd like the wall to just be a mounted TV and a mounted soundbar below it.  

Simply put, I'm on a quest to find the best value 5.1.2 soundbar + wireless rears. Atmos is not a neccessity but is desired.

I'm heavily incentivized to go with a Sonos Arc + 2 rear One SLs, as I could live without the subwoofer, plus I have a 15% company discount and get airline miles for purchasing from Sonos directly. I understand that it may not be the cheapest option, but I like the idea of their upgrade program combined with the fact that I can always add additional speakers down the road. Wireless is a huge plus, although I am a bit concerned about latency. 

This Vizio 5.1.2 kit has piqued my interest as well, but I love the claims of clear dialogue from the Sonos Arc.

Is there anything else I should be considering? Hoping to spend no more than $1200 max if it includes a full 5.1.2

IIRC Samsung has one of the better kits in that price range. Q950A I think was the model number. You'd have to find it on sale though.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

31 minutes ago, quackmeyer said:

I've had a 5.1 setup for the last couple of years, but I'm moving to a new apartment where hardwiring the speakers with a chunky AV receiver will be a nuisance. Also, TV will be mounted on a small section of the wall where I'd like to not have any shelving or media console, so I'd like the wall to just be a mounted TV and a mounted soundbar below it.  

Simply put, I'm on a quest to find the best value 5.1.2 soundbar + wireless rears. Atmos is not a neccessity but is desired.

I'm heavily incentivized to go with a Sonos Arc + 2 rear One SLs, as I could live without the subwoofer, plus I have a 15% company discount and get airline miles for purchasing from Sonos directly. I understand that it may not be the cheapest option, but I like the idea of their upgrade program combined with the fact that I can always add additional speakers down the road. Wireless is a huge plus, although I am a bit concerned about latency. 

This Vizio 5.1.2 kit has piqued my interest as well, but I love the claims of clear dialogue from the Sonos Arc.

Is there anything else I should be considering? Hoping to spend no more than $1200 max if it includes a full 5.1.2

The Arc is, in one word, unreal.

I convinced my parents to get it for themselves as I have a high end 5.2.2 system and don't need one myself.... but man, with the sub (really.... get the sub, without it it sounds hallow, and with it, its SERIOUSLY IMPRESSIVE), I am blown away by it. It is phenomenal for movies and TV watching. I have JBL floorstander Studio 580 L F R and bookshelf Studio 530, with 2 JBL speakers mounted to my ceiling, powered by a Denon... I forget the name but a high end Denon receiver and some Bic F12 subs I have just had forever, and that damn Arc is impressive even when compared to that setup. 

I can't recommend it enough, but get the sub, you will "need" the sub.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

1 minute ago, LIGISTX said:

The Arc is, in one word, unreal.

I convinced my parents to get it for themselves as I have a high end 5.2.2 system and don't need one myself.... but man, with the sub (really.... get the sub, without it it sounds hallow, and with it, its SERIOUSLY IMPRESSIVE), I am blown away by it. It is phenomenal for movies and TV watching. I have JBL floorstander Studio 580 L F R and bookshelf Studio 530, with 2 JBL speakers mounted to my ceiling, powered by a Denon... I forget the name but a high end Denon receiver and some Bic F12 subs I have just had forever, and that damn Arc is impressive even when compared to that setup. 

I can't recommend it enough, but get the sub, you will "need" the sub.

Well this is great feedback... I plan on getting the Arc itself to start, then the two rear SLs, then the sub eventually... Kind of just adding onto the setup until I'm fully satisfied. The cost of moving has me blowing a lot of money in the meantime so I like that I can slowly build up the setup without having to drop all of the money at once. I'm by no means an audiophile, but I love true surround and wouldn't want to live without it. 

My living room will be like 80% movies/TV and 20% gaming when I have the chance.

I'm a tinkerer by nature and like to mess around with DIY setups until it's perfect, but I've had a lot of trouble with my current AV receiver and would like the audio setup to be a little more seamless. The layout of my new living room will make it almost impossible to run speaker wire around the floorboards/etc. so I'm making my foray into wireless rears. 

10 hours ago, LinusTech said:

Arc is Godlike. I have heard others that are good, but the Arc is better.

Thank you for backing up your review from almost 2 years ago 🥳

Your few complaints about it lacking HDMI inputs don't really affect me, so it really all comes down to all-around performance. I think I'm pretty solidified in my decision now, and I don't expect wireless rear latency to be noticeable.

I can strongly recommend the Samsung HW-Q80R. It's easily the best speaker i've heard so far. The included subwoofer can really stir up some trouble with your neighbours. Frequency response, soundstage, volume, it's all great. Plus it supports Spotify connect natively and it can also be used by Alexa over Wifi - no mics onboard though so that's a plus in my book. If you want you can also buy rear sattelite speakers to enhance the surround experience.

It's better than the Arc in practically every way. Even though it is cheaper than the standalone Arc it already comes with a sub. Plus, the sub you can get with the Arc is a lot weaker than the one included with the HW-Q80R.

Left = Arc with added Sub      Right = Q80R

image.thumb.png.8453690a7a0b45f5582170fb6d3d94ce.png

Here is a direct comparison between the Arc and Q80R:

Sonos Arc vs Samsung HW-Q80R Side-by-Side Soundbar Comparison - RTINGS.com

@LinusTech I haven't seen big tech channels cover the Q80R and since it's not the current generation anymore i don't expect any more coverage by media. But man, when the Arc blew you away, then you'd probably love the HW-Q80R.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

oooh I haven't tried that one. Given it's not current gen I don't know how good availability is going to be. I'd expect this is something we're going to be able to cover much better once we're all set up in the lab, but it's going to take some time.