Smartifying My Horrible Garage

Plouffe
On 6/5/2022 at 1:13 AM, Skeptiik said:

Anyone know of a similar device that is Zigbee compliant instead of zwave.

Building a house soon and would love to do something similar, but currently planning on using Zigbee as Zwave products are much harder to come by in Australia.

+1 - I have an all-Zigbee deployment already. I've managed to find a ton of Zigbee relay boards, but none with switch inputs.

On 6/5/2022 at 9:37 AM, Lurick said:

I would look at a Vera controller honestly, I've got the VeraPlus and it's great, does both Z-Wave and Zigbee. I thought the Aeotec stick did both but I checked and it's z-wave only which is odd but you learn something new when checking on that stuff 馃檪

The controller isn't the problem - I have HomeAssistant running ZHA with a ConBee II and I can easily add an Aeotec dongle as well. The problem is getting enough of a mesh running to have consistent connectivity across your house.
Linus had the same problem in the video and they had to put in some smart outlets to beef up the mesh.

38 minutes ago, TheWiley said:

+1 - I have an all-Zigbee deployment already. I've managed to find a ton of Zigbee relay boards, but none with switch inputs.

The controller isn't the problem - I have HomeAssistant running ZHA with a ConBee II and I can easily add an Aeotec dongle as well. The problem is getting enough of a mesh running to have consistent connectivity across your house.
Linus had the same problem in the video and they had to put in some smart outlets to beef up the mesh.

If I remember right the main problem and reason for those z-wave repeaters was because of nearby devices only supporting S0 (or none) for encryption and the garage door controllers needing S2 encryption more so than just a standard mesh issue.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

On 6/6/2022 at 2:03 PM, Jeremy MC said:

@jakkuh_t@Plouffe any way to get the sensor logic Jake created? Would love to use this myself!

Don't. The way Jake set up the service templates there will be calls to null services, which will generate errors. Ask on the Home Assistant forum or Discord for how to do it properly with either the choose or if actions. These don't require an else case.

On 6/6/2022 at 4:19 PM, Lurick said:

If I remember right the main problem and reason for those z-wave repeaters was because of nearby devices only supporting S0 (or none) for encryption and the garage door controllers needing S2 encryption more so than just a standard mesh issue.

And on top of that, Linus has a sprawling 3-story million dollar house. The typical person will probably have a small enough home for the signal to get everything.

• 3 weeks later...

Just FYI I tried to get that MiMO device and they have confirmed they no longer make it. Any other suggestions as a replacement?

• 2 months later...

Anybody stuck with a lift master garage door opener, and wishing they could just short two wires with a dry contact, this is the device you are looking for:

https://www.garadget.com/product/security-2-0-dry-contact-adapter/

Attached is my setup using a sonoff wifi switch running tasmota controlling a relay connected to the above device.

PXL_20220908_014630662_2.jpg

• 4 months later...
On 6/24/2022 at 11:19 AM, DecoyDrone said:

Just FYI I tried to get that MiMO device and they have confirmed they no longer make it. Any other suggestions as a replacement?

This one has been great for me so far!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B096LLL1C6/

There are Z-Wave configuration parameters for the relay to be momentary--and make sure you also disable the parameter that pairs the sensors to the relays, or you're going to have a really fun time...聽 I'm working on the script to make this feel native, will post here when I get it figured out.

Got this working (though I was hoping to include an "opening" and "closing" state with a predetermined delay, but didn't get that working yet):

# Conditional Garage Door. Forces the MIMO to behave a bit more like an actual cover since the button is only a toggle.
cover:
  - platform: template
    covers:
      garage_door:
        device_class: garage
        friendly_name: "Garage Door (Main)"
        unique_id: "garage_door_main"
        value_template: >-
          {% if is_state('binary_sensor.universal_relay_sensor_state_door_window', 'on') %}
            open
          {% else %}
            closed
          {% endif %}
        open_cover:
          choose:
            - conditions: "{{ is_state('binary_sensor.universal_relay_sensor_state_door_window', 'off') }}"
              sequence:
                - service: switch.turn_on
                  target:
                    entity_id: switch.universal_relay_2
        close_cover:
          choose:
            - conditions: "{{ is_state('binary_sensor.universal_relay_sensor_state_door_window', 'on') }}"
              sequence:
                - service: switch.turn_on
                  target:
                    entity_id: switch.universal_relay_2
        icon_template: >-
          {% if is_state('binary_sensor.universal_relay_sensor_state_door_window', 'on') %}
            mdi:garage-open
          {% else %}
            mdi:garage
          {% endif %}

In my case, the Zooz MIMO I'm using seems to have a boolean/binary_sensor for the S1/S2 inputs, so it differs a bit from Jake's code. The open/close actions differ a bit too per the comments above, this is the most idiomatic way of doing that I'm aware of (though I'm new, so take that with a grain of salt).聽 As mentioned in my above post, I have the R1 output set聽to be momentary (via Z-Wave configuration, turns on for a second and back off), which is why you won't see any timing logic in here.

The main disadvantage here is if you issue a second command while the garage is opening or closing, you'll obviously be out of sync with the contact switch state.聽 If you're patient, you can click the button again and eventually sync up. I wanted to add a configurable delay where it would update custom binary sensors to signify that the door was opening/closing so we can 1) see the correct opening/closing state in the UI, and 2) hopefully prevent any sync issues, but I'm still working on that one a bit.

• 8 months later...

The RATGDO project is absolutely fantastic. it made getting my stupid MYQ garage locally tied into home assistant super easy. This is especially good because the MYQ integration with Home Assistant is now destroyed because MYQ got rid of the link that home assistant used before:
https://paulwieland.github.io/ratgdo/

The RATGDO emulates the push button in your garage so it has full control and visiblity of the door being open or closed and works without the stupid beeping and delay from MYQ.

Would love to see how Linus feels about this product in his install if he isnt totally sold the current solution. @jakkuh_t