Newest CPU Recomendation that supports DDR3 AND DDR4

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
1 minute ago, svrhub said:

newest CPU that still supports DDR3/DDR4 so I can keep using the RAM and upgrade to DDR4 later.

Don't do this. First, there are maybe 2 motherboards on LGA 1151v1 (the last socket that supported DDR3) that support DDR4 and DDR3, and a) they suck and b) they cost a ton compared to other LGA 1151v1 motherboards that are better. Not to mention that DDR3 prices used are very similar to DDR4 prices used, so you might be spending an extra $10-20 on a memory kit now after you flip your current kit and buy a DDR4 kit, but you'd be able to use modern hardware (given the prices of used parts, it's usually a better deal to get something current than it is to use something not). 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ffYtgb

Get something like this if you want to upgrade. For your $400 budget, you can get a 12400F (will perform literally everything that used DDR3 in basically everything), 32GB of RAM new, and a pretty solid motherboard. 

Budget (including currency): ~$400

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

Other details RTX3060, I7-6700K,Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-2133 CL13 Memory

The goal is to stop bottleneck on the 3060 with a new CPU and MOBO.

Im on a budget and want to only replace CPU/MOBO so there is a massive complication......

Restrictions: Micro ATX board and I would like a the newest CPU that still supports DDR3/DDR4 so I can keep using the RAM and upgrade to DDR4 later.

newest CPU that still supports DDR3/DDR4 so I can keep using the RAM and upgrade to DDR4 later.

Don't do this. First, there are maybe 2 motherboards on LGA 1151v1 (the last socket that supported DDR3) that support DDR4 and DDR3, and a) they suck and b) they cost a ton compared to other LGA 1151v1 motherboards that are better. Not to mention that DDR3 prices used are very similar to DDR4 prices used, so you might be spending an extra $10-20 on a memory kit now after you flip your current kit and buy a DDR4 kit, but you'd be able to use modern hardware (given the prices of used parts, it's usually a better deal to get something current than it is to use something not). 

Get something like this if you want to upgrade. For your $400 budget, you can get a 12400F (will perform literally everything that used DDR3 in basically everything), 32GB of RAM new, and a pretty solid motherboard. 

Just dont, save up until you can afford to upgrade to DDR4 along with the CPU and motherboard at once. 6700k/7700k are already the fastest CPUs that meet your requirements, the latter is just a rebrand of the former.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

11 minutes ago, svrhub said:

Im on a budget and want to only replace CPU/MOBO so there is a massive complication......

Restrictions: Micro ATX board and I would like a the newest CPU that still supports DDR3/DDR4 so I can keep using the RAM and upgrade to DDR4 later.

Almost impossible, and not recommended. New cpu and motherboard would require new RAM.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bKDfpH

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Gotcha i might do that, I dont wana flip the ram as the i76700k and 32GB will become a Game server 🙂

1 minute ago, GeorgeMKane said:

Not possible. New cpu and motherboard would require new RAM.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bKDfpH

My hope would be there is a decent CPU that still supported DDR3/DDR4, i know it wont be a 2022 or probbably 2020 CPU but was hoping a decent one was there in the past.

2 minutes ago, svrhub said:

Would that Ryzen 5 5500, be that much of an upgrade? or save for a 5600x?

You can get 16GB of RAM for now, and still get the 5600X. Motherboard has 4 ram slots too.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CjFwz7

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

49 minutes ago, svrhub said:

My hope would be there is a decent CPU that still supported DDR3/DDR4, i know it wont be a 2022 or probbably 2020 CPU but was hoping a decent one was there in the past.

The best CPU to do that would be an i7 6700K or maybe 7700K if they supported that still. Both of which are trounced by a current gen i3. Plus as the others noted, there's very few boards that supported both DDR3 and 4 (most supported only one or the other). As per usual for weird boards, they seem to have been made by ASRock, likely sold in very low volumes due to the weirdness of buying a 4-slot board with only 2 slots usable at any one time (it has 2 DDR3 slots and 2 DDR4 slots), so you'd be lucky to find one used (and it would probably be overpriced due to the rarity). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Your CPU almost certainly is not your bottleneck with a 3060 and a 6700k.  What does your system utilization look like in game?

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

1 hour ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

Your CPU almost certainly is not your bottleneck with a 3060 and a 6700k.  What does your system utilization look like in game?

It most certainly is actually. Any game that is CPU heavy slows it down and for CPU based encoding tasks that GPUs don't fully cover. There are many games pegging the CPU and the GPU is mid %50. I still get 144 FPS 1080p on most max settings games. But AAAs i have to do some changes as the CPU cannot keep up.

It most certainly is actually. Any game that is CPU heavy slows it down and for CPU based encoding tasks that GPUs don't fully cover. There are many games pegging the CPU and the GPU is mid %50. I still get 144 FPS 1080p on most max settings games. But AAAs i have to do some changes as the CPU cannot keep up.

Really?  I'm actually fascinated by that.  What games?  Because if the CPU was pegged and the GPU was at 50% percent, that would mean that  there would not be a CPU on the entire market fast enough to keep up with a 3060, which sounds quite odd.  AFAIK most of the extremely CPU bound games tend to be very much on the older side, and usually run well above the RR of most people monitors regardless.  

Have you overclocked the CPU?  The 6700ks usually do pretty well.

6 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

Really?  I'm actually fascinated by that.  What games?  Because if the CPU was pegged and the GPU was at 50% percent, that would mean that  there would not be a CPU on the entire market fast enough to keep up with a 3060, which sounds quite odd.  AFAIK most of the extremely CPU bound games tend to be very much on the older side, and usually run well above the RR of most people monitors regardless.  

Have you overclocked the CPU?  The 6700ks usually do pretty well.

Mortal Online 2 did this (but this is most likely due to their garbage code), AI and a lot of other game calculations that have nothing to do with graphics are handled on the CPU. Take CIV 6 for example my GPU basically Sleeps on max settings but CPU will Chomp at the bit on turn changes with largest players and most city states #s, i then get a few fps drop on turn changes because of this. Some Adobe premier exports are CPU bound. If the game overloads your CPU with calculations that have to do nothing with graphical rendering you can see a loss of FPS. COD Warzone, Apex, and Natural Selection 2 also maxes my CPU out while GPU has some headroom. Also my i7 6700k is not overclocked at all its just factory sadly as my MOBO is essentially dollar store grade.

9 minutes ago, svrhub said:

Mortal Online 2 did this (but this is most likely due to their garbage code), AI and a lot of other game calculations that have nothing to do with graphics are handled on the CPU. Take CIV 6 for example my GPU basically Sleeps on max settings but CPU will Chomp at the bit on turn changes with largest players and most city states #s, i then get a few fps drop on turn changes because of this. Some Adobe premier exports are CPU bound. If the game overloads your CPU with calculations that have to do nothing with graphical rendering you can see a loss of FPS. COD Warzone, Apex, and Natural Selection 2 also maxes my CPU out while GPU has some headroom. Also my i7 6700k is not overclocked at all its just factory sadly as my MOBO is essentially dollar store grade.

I mean I'm running Civ 6 on a slower PCU than you and it's pretty damn smooth.  Even without OC the 6700k should still turbo to 4.2GHz. Is the CPU 'bottlenecking' your system by an occasional frame drop in a turn-based game?  I know people wig out over 1% lows, but a game that's running an average of 160fps having 1% lows of 80fps shouldn't be noticeable unless you're monitoring it.  Numerical calculations like that are crocodile tears in the ocean for any processor post-286.

16 hours ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

I mean I'm running Civ 6 on a slower PCU than you and it's pretty damn smooth.  Even without OC the 6700k should still turbo to 4.2GHz. Is the CPU 'bottlenecking' your system by an occasional frame drop in a turn-based game?  I know people wig out over 1% lows, but a game that's running an average of 160fps having 1% lows of 80fps shouldn't be noticeable unless you're monitoring it.  Numerical calculations like that are crocodile tears in the ocean for any processor post-286.

I have no issues gaming, Everything is 60+ and usually 120-144. But the CPU is still bottle necking. I do very odd things with my CPU different coding tasks and such and any improvement will save me Minutes a day and that over time is a lot of my life saved. And when exporting videos in premier the  Video encoding on the 3060 is 40-50% and CPU pegged at 98%