3D Printed Guns

This might be a little bit too political for a forum like this but the amount of different countries and cultures represented in this Forum might fuel a good discussion. And since 3D printing actually has to do with computers and tech it might be at least a little bit interesting.

SO.. I assume a lot of people have seen the talks about 3D printed guns on the internet these last couple of months and there are many views on the subject, should it be legal or not? Will this be dangerous to society, especially in a country like The US where it's every mans(or womans) right to bear arms? (Keep in mind, I'm not from the US, I don't know much about the 2nd amendment) Will it fuel organizations that means to do harm to the general public, such as Gangs, Terrorist Groups or dangerous political groups?
Sure there might be laws to control this but when a 3D printer is not going to ruin your economy and for people who are going to harm others that will not be a problem.

The "latest" update is that Cody Wilson the founder of Defense Distributed just a couple of days ago fired the first printed one-shot handgun. The blueprints are available to download for anyone who wants them. 

Here is a short video from Discovery

And an interview with Cody Williams from VICE

Your opinions might clash, but please keep this Civilized.

They're sharing a drink they call loneliness, but it's better than drinkin' alone...

BitFenix Prodigy Black / Intel Core i7 3770K / Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI mITX / ASUS GeForce GTX 660Ti DCUII 2GB / Corsair Vengance LP 8GB (2x4096MB) CL9 1600Mhz / Corsair SF600 - 600W  / Corsair H70 Push Pull

Yeah I brought this up a while ago, and everyone said that you wouldn't be able to print a whole gun, but there ya go!

I think there should be tighter regulation on the chemicals used, black powder isn't exactly hard to make, but they should have stricter laws if it is mixed with the intention of using it for this purpose.

Oh, I'm sorry for doing sort of a repost. Would you mind linking the topic? I can't seem to find it.

EDIT: Found it, and I didn't really consider this as that much of Tech News to be posted there. This felt more like a political topic and therefore I considered it as more of a "Off Topic" topic.

They're sharing a drink they call loneliness, but it's better than drinkin' alone...

BitFenix Prodigy Black / Intel Core i7 3770K / Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI mITX / ASUS GeForce GTX 660Ti DCUII 2GB / Corsair Vengance LP 8GB (2x4096MB) CL9 1600Mhz / Corsair SF600 - 600W  / Corsair H70 Push Pull

As a resident of the UK this does not bother me all that mutch, we have VERY strict gun laws here and to be honest if somebody happens to be the type of person who wants a hand gun then they probably know easier ways to get them than using a 3D printer. lol

Oh, I'm sorry for doing sort of a repost. Would you mind linking the topic? I can't seem to find it.

EDIT: Found it, and I didn't really consider this as that much of Tech News to be posted there. This felt more like a political topic and therefore I considered it as more of a "Off Topic" topic.

Yeah, I was just about to post the link, but i got caught up in the videos :P

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13490-this-is-the-worlds-first-entirely-3d-printed-gun-photos/

As a resident of the UK this does not bother me all that mutch, we have VERY strict gun laws here and to be honest if somebody happens to be the type of person who wants a hand gun then they probably know easier ways to get them than using a 3D printer. lol

But the regulations doesn't stop anyone from printing them and if you actually aim to do harm you can just wait until there are techniques to print guns that are more than single shot guns without any authorities knowing about it.

Yeah I brought this up a while ago, and everyone said that you wouldn't be able to print a whole gun, but there ya go!

I think there should be tighter regulation on the chemicals used, black powder isn't exactly hard to make, but they should have stricter laws if it is mixed with the intention of using it for this purpose.

You could fashion a simple gun out of very easily obtainable components if you wanted to. You cant clamp down on everything which can conceivably be used for evil. Also, the benefits of as strong as possible 3D printed parts are pretty huge

Thats my thinking as well

But the regulations doesn't stop anyone from printing them and if you actually aim to do harm you can just wait until there are techniques to print guns that are more than single shot guns without any authorities knowing about it.

Agreed if you are going to commit murder, the crime of owning a gun becomes a little trivial at that point.

You could fashion a simple gun out of very easily obtainable components if you wanted to. You cant clamp down on everything which can conceivably be used for evil. Also, the benefits of as strong as possible 3D printed parts are pretty huge

Thats my thinking as well

Yeah I know you could make a gun out of other things, but more just worried about kids etc being able to print them off without having any sort of skill. Nothing at all aginst 3d printing, like I said the laws should be tighter on the explosives, which even in the UK are not that hard to obtain.

Yeah I know you could make a gun out of other things, but more just worried about kids etc being able to print them off without having any sort of skill. Nothing at all aginst 3d printing, like I said the laws should be tighter on the explosives, which even in the UK are not that hard to obtain.

Oh, my mistake, i thought the black powder might refer to the composition of the materials used in the printing process. I also thought the gun used regular bullets (pretty sure i read that somewhere, and that he had made interchangeable barrels for different sizes)

i understand why they dont like it but as americans we have the right to bear arms

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

All you gotta do is reinforce the law and make ALL the people wear hand guns, so not only the BAD GUYS have gun but also the GOOD GUYS can defend them selves, cause, to be realistic, bad guys can buy a REAL GUN fairly easy and the GOOD guys that don't buy guns get SHOT.

Solution: make it realy easy for GOOD GUYS to be able to defend them selves. The US does this good in the LAW but a lot of US citicens are PUSSYS that are AFRAID of guns. DUDE, american, if you ARE a GOD GUY you'll defend your family and if you ARE a BAD GUY the moment you wield the gun in public, you'll get SHOT by a 100 places before you are even able to SHOOT. What's happening now? BAD GUYS play COD IRL and RANDOM PEOPLE can't defend them selves. This is why GOOD POEPLE die, like all the time in US shootings. Have a nice day.

EDIT BY LINUS - warning given for this post. Users are of course free to have their own opinions about any given topic, but referring to an entire group of people as "PUSSYS" is not acceptable on this forum.

Rig (laptop): MOUNTAIN GTM 17ivy, 17,3'' 1920x1080, i7-3630QM 2,4/3,4 Ghz 4c/8t 6Mb, 16GB RAM, RAID 0 120GB, NVidia GTX675 2GB.

Peripherals: Shitty Laptop cooler, Razer Naga (2010 Edition) and Razer Megalodon.

Does your caps lock live its own life or something?

lol ghosts haunt his caps lock lol

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

lol ghosts haunt his caps lock lol

if his caps keeps doing that there is no way he'll be able to program C.A.D software on a 3D printer. lol 

if his caps keeps doing that there is no way he'll be able to program C.A.D software on a 3D printer. lol 

lol the gun will have like a HUGE trigger and everything else will be really small

( we are just messing with you guy so dont get angry :P)

it looks like a stapler... they can kill people aswell

Character artist in the Games industry.

lol the gun will have like a HUGE trigger and everything else will be really small

( we are just messing with you guy so dont get angry :P)

or worse still

funnygun.jpg

it looks like a stapler... they can kill people aswell

lol makes you wonder why there isn't more stapler related murders. Can see the headlines now "Man stapled to death outside his home"

Edit: Nothing more embarrassing than being killed by this guy:

8EB57E4C.jpg

This could make things more interesting in countries where firearms legislation is a lot stricter than in the states.

I'm just a soul who is up to no good.

lol makes you wonder why there isn't more stapler related murders. Can see the headlines now "Man stapled to death outside his home"

Edit: Nothing more embarrassing than being killed by this guy:

8EB57E4C.jpg

Oh... I'm pretty sure I've seen worse :P

As sick as it sounds I would love to hear an audio recording of the murder.

"Oh hai"

"Whats that?"

"Oh it's a stapler, and look it's smiling at me"

"what are you doing? Get the F*ck off me!"

"Aghghghghghghghghgh click Aghghghghgh click click Aghghghghghgh click click click"

As opposed to the whole "bang" "thud" routine of a gun :lol:

As sick as it sounds I would love to hear an audio recording of the murder.

"Oh hai"

"Whats that?"

"Oh it's a stapler, and look it's smiling at me"

"what are you doing? Get the F*ck off me!"

"Aghghghghghghghghgh click Aghghghghgh click click Aghghghghghgh click click click"

As opposed to the whole "bang" "thud" routine of a gun :lol:

The armed forces could have these 

Yeah my DT teachers were pretty shocked when they found out that they could actually make guns on the 3d printers here at my school.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?