Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can the motherboard GPU slot get damaged from removing and putting GPU often?

I had to remove and re seat my GPU about 5 times yesterday (don’t judge me I was testing stuff) and today I got RMA so I had to install a new one again. 
 

I’ll have to remove it again soon to put a CPU cooler. I’m not planning on removing it often after that but I’m just wondering if this can cause damage if done too often. Are there any ratings for how many times you can do it? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Victor Jones said:

I’m just wondering if this can cause damage if done too often. Are there any ratings for how many times you can do it? 

Yes, it can cause damage over time. But to be more accurate, it's not from doing it too often, but from the cumulative number of times that it is done. That's just physics.

 

And I'm also interested to know if there is some kind of rating. I assume durability is taken into account when standardized connectors are decided on.

BabyBlu (Primary): 

  • CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB NVME, 3x ADATA Ultimate SU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB
  • OS: Windows 10 Pro

Roxanne (Wife Build):

  • CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ Per Core 5.0GHz - 5.0GHz - 4.9GHz - 4.8GHz, Cache @ 4.6GHz, relidded with LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, With Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7
  • OS: Windows 10 Pro

BigBox (HTPC):

  • CPU: Ryzen 5600G @ 4640MHz
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 4400MHz 17-17-17-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC @ 1800MHz & .812V
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: Silicon Power A80 1TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF 600 Gold
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper with Noctua A12x15 PWM Chromax Black
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.2.2 Atmos setup.
  • OS: Windows 10 Pro

Harmonic (Game/Plex/Other Server):

  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 48GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Antec Three Hundred
  • Storage: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME, Blu-Ray Drive
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S with 2X Fractal Venturi HP-12
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None
  • OS: Windows 10 Pro

NAS:

  • Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Hairless Monkey Boy said:

Yes, it can cause damage over time. But to be more accurate, it's not from doing it too often, but from the cumulative number of times that it is done. That's just physics.

 

And I'm also interested to know if there is some kind of rating. I assume durability is taken into account when standardized connectors are decided on.

It can’t be a double digit number then. It wouldn’t make sense. I have the Z590M Gaming X and it seems pretty sturdy. I’d think the slot is also at least half decent. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Victor Jones said:

It can’t be a double digit number then.

No, certainly not. If I had to guess, I would say the number is in the hundreds.

BabyBlu (Primary): 

  • CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB NVME, 3x ADATA Ultimate SU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB
  • OS: Windows 10 Pro

Roxanne (Wife Build):

  • CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ Per Core 5.0GHz - 5.0GHz - 4.9GHz - 4.8GHz, Cache @ 4.6GHz, relidded with LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 with LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, With Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7
  • OS: Windows 10 Pro

BigBox (HTPC):

  • CPU: Ryzen 5600G @ 4640MHz
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 4400MHz 17-17-17-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC @ 1800MHz & .812V
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: Silicon Power A80 1TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF 600 Gold
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper with Noctua A12x15 PWM Chromax Black
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.2.2 Atmos setup.
  • OS: Windows 10 Pro

Harmonic (Game/Plex/Other Server):

  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 48GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Antec Three Hundred
  • Storage: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME, Blu-Ray Drive
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S with 2X Fractal Venturi HP-12
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None
  • OS: Windows 10 Pro

NAS:

  • Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

The guaranteed insertion count for cpu sockets is as low as 20-50 

 

For pci-e slots, it's in the hundreds.... problem is the gold plating on the pins eventually rubs off as you insert and take out the cards and then the pins can oxidize or get dirty and at the same time pins can lose that elasticity and may no longer put enough contact pressure with the edge connector of the video card, so you get imperfect contacts. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, mariushm said:

The guaranteed insertion count for cpu sockets is as low as 20-50 

 

For pci-e slots, it's in the hundreds.... problem is the gold plating on the pins eventually rubs off as you insert and take out the cards and then the pins can oxidize or get dirty and at the same time pins can lose that elasticity and may no longer put enough contact pressure with the edge connector of the video card, so you get imperfect contacts. 

 

 

I didn’t know the MB slot had gold pins. Or are you referring to the GPU gold pins?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

cardedge connectors are probably among the most reliable connectors used on the inside of a computer. the first supplier i found numbers on rates their connectors for a minimum of 50 cycles. so take that as a very safe minimum before wear may potentially end up being of concern.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

cardedge connectors are probably among the most reliable connectors used on the inside of a computer. the first supplier i found numbers on rates their connectors for a minimum of 50 cycles. so take that as a very safe minimum before wear may potentially end up being of concern.

I mean I did yank my old GPU from my MB pretty hard that even the lever came off (I snapped it back into place) but since my new GPU works I haven’t done any damage 

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Victor Jones said:

I mean I did yank my old GPU from my MB pretty hard that even the lever came off (I snapped it back into place) but since my new GPU works I haven’t done any damage 

  

nothing will protect a product against user stupidity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, manikyath said:

nothing will protect a product against user stupidity.

9 minutes ago, manikyath said:

nothing will protect a product against user stupidity.

ha-ha. 
 

if you want to educate yourself about my case read my other post about this.
 

I had thought I had released the lever but I hadn’t. Due to the tall heatsinks on my motherboard and the size of my card, it’s hard to release it as well as tell if it’s been released. 
 

If you’re planning on commenting more on my posts without any useful advice, please don’t post at all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Victor Jones said:

I didn’t know the MB slot had gold pins. Or are you referring to the GPU gold pins?

The pins in the slot are usually gold flash or gold plated. The edge connectors on video cards are usually gold plated ... but the amount of actual gold is very little, it's almost not worth melting the pins to get the gold. 

We're talking 30" u (0.76um) of gold plating.

 

See https://suddendocs.samtec.com/catalog_english/pcie-g4.pdf

 

Amphenol does gold flash, 0.38uf and 0.76um plating : https://cdn.amphenol-cs.com/media/wysiwyg/files/drawing/ccee0164x1140xxx.pdf

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Hairless Monkey Boy said:

No, certainly not. If I had to guess, I would say the number is in the hundreds.

I have a x79 gigabyte ultra deluxe board that I've used for testing ddr4 and gpu's since 2017. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm at quadruple digits on it. Do keep in mind I am always somewhat gentle with it. The plastic clips have broken off from the ram slots and pcie covers long ago but still works fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mariushm said:

The pins in the slot are usually gold flash or gold plated. The edge connectors on video cards are usually gold plated ... but the amount of actual gold is very little, it's almost not worth melting the pins to get the gold. 

We're talking 30" u (0.76um) of gold plating.

 

See https://suddendocs.samtec.com/catalog_english/pcie-g4.pdf

 

Amphenol does gold flash, 0.38uf and 0.76um plating : https://cdn.amphenol-cs.com/media/wysiwyg/files/drawing/ccee0164x1140xxx.pdf

 

I see. Well I am fine for now. But I’ll be gentle and limit taking it out to a minimum 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I have a x79 gigabyte ultra deluxe board that I've used for testing ddr4 and gpu's since 2017. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm at quadruple digits on it. Do keep in mind I am always somewhat gentle with it. The plastic clips have broken off from the ram slots and pcie covers long ago but still works fine.

I try to be gentle too. But sometimes with big cards it’s hard to align everything so there is some rubbing that happens while you try to seat it.  That doesn’t seem abrasive though. 
 

The only non gentle thing I have done is yanking it out without realizing that lever isn’t released. But it’s still okay. 
 

thanks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×