Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Future Plan: use functional laptop parts in a PC build

Budget (including currency): My budget would vary, although I would like to stay under 1000$

Country: US

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Steam games like Elden ring, Nier: Replicant, or GTA V.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): I currently have a ROG Zephyrus laptop that has 240hz/3ms monitor, 16gb RAM, Intel core i7 10th gen(intel core i7-10750H cpu @ 2.60GHz  2.59GHz), nvidia rtx 2070 max-q, and 1TB HDD. Additionally, I have an acer monitor 75 hz refresh rate, a wireless usb Logitech mouse, and a usb MSI full keyboard.

 

In the future I would like to be able to salvage as much from this particular laptop as possible and buy things as needed, which I presume would be things such as: a case, some additional fans (since my laptop has been in the 60-90 Celsius range entering summer weather), a power supply, and some other parts. 

I have not built my own PC before and find it challenging to pick a case, that will house all the components I need, on newegg. So, I am looking for tips on how to pick parts on newegg and tell if they will fit together before purchasing as well as suggestions on other PC parts that I would need to make this work when the time comes.

 

Thanks in advance,

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, i wouldn't bother.

You'd need to build your own standoffs to have the motherboard in the case.

By the time you need to move on from the laptop, it'd make more sense to just buy a low end PC that will likely have the same performance.

 

IMO if you want to use the laptop as a desktop, just sit it on a cooling pad, attach your cables and go.

 

Welcome to the forum.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: AMD Radeon 6700XT 12GB PSU: Corsair SF600 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

 

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Al_ said:

In the future I would like to be able to salvage as much from this particular laptop as possible

That would not be much. The CPU and graphics card are built in, the power supply is not an ATX power supply it's a laptop power supply, the ram is sodimm instead of standard dimm.

 

I recommend saving money to get a proper desktop, you can manage a pretty decent upgrade for $1500

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Al_ said:

Budget (including currency): My budget would vary, although I would like to stay under 1000$

Country: US

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Steam games like Elden ring, Nier: Replicant, or GTA V.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): I currently have a ROG Zephyrus laptop that has 240hz/3ms monitor, 16gb RAM, Intel core i7 10th gen(intel core i7-10750H cpu @ 2.60GHz  2.59GHz), nvidia rtx 2070 max-q, and 1TB HDD. Additionally, I have an acer monitor 75 hz refresh rate, a wireless usb Logitech mouse, and a usb MSI full keyboard.

 

In the future I would like to be able to salvage as much from this particular laptop as possible and buy things as needed, which I presume would be things such as: a case, some additional fans (since my laptop has been in the 60-90 Celsius range entering summer weather), a power supply, and some other parts. 

I have not built my own PC before and find it challenging to pick a case, that will house all the components I need, on newegg. So, I am looking for tips on how to pick parts on newegg and tell if they will fit together before purchasing as well as suggestions on other PC parts that I would need to make this work when the time comes.

 

Thanks in advance,

 

 

The only thing you'll realistically be able to salvage from a laptop to use in a desktop are the drives (both M.2 and SATA), and WiFi cards. I would just keep the laptop as is and use it as a secondary desktop if you do end up buying another tower. 

 

My old IdeaPad for instance is just that. Because the hinge mounts exploded, the display is effectively stuck open. So it's just now a Hackintosh that sits long term in my room. 

AMD FX™ 6300 @ 4.51 GHz | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB OC | 24GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB WD Green 1.5TB | ASUS Xonar DG | Windows 10 Pro

Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5  | ASUS ProArt PA238QR

Intel Core™ i7-7600U | Seagate 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 850 G4

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina  Lenovo IdeaPad P580

iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 15.4.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 15.4.1) |  iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't worry about those temps, they're fine for a laptop.  The chips are generally meant to run at up to 100C, and they'll lower voltage on their own to stay under.  Worst comes to worst they'll just shut off before anything could actually be damaged, but even then , that never happens, they just slow down to stay cool.

The sign is a subtle joke. The shop is called "Sneed's Feed & Seed", where feed and seed both end in the sound "-eed", thus rhyming with the name of the owner, Sneed. The sign says that the shop was "Formerly Chuck's", implying that the two words beginning with "F" and "S" would have ended with "-uck", rhyming with "Chuck". So, when Chuck owned the shop, it would have been called "Chuck's Feeduck and Seeduck".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Al_ said:

In the future I would like to be able to salvage as much from this particular laptop as possible and buy things as needed, which I presume would be things such as: a case, some additional fans (since my laptop has been in the 60-90 Celsius range entering summer weather), a power supply, and some other parts. 

I have not built my own PC before and find it challenging to pick a case, that will house all the components I need, on newegg. So, I am looking for tips on how to pick parts on newegg and tell if they will fit together before purchasing as well as suggestions on other PC parts that I would need to make this work when the time comes.

 

Thanks in advance,

 

 

 

8 hours ago, dizmo said:

Honestly, i wouldn't bother.

You'd need to build your own standoffs to have the motherboard in the case.

Yeah me too its just not worth it spending all the time and money on it, if i were you i would sell the laptop cuz you'd get a decent price for it now as opposed to a few years later and build a whole new gaming setup. You can build a pretty good gaming setup for under $1000 rn with a mix of used and new components

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

Don't worry about those temps, they're fine for a laptop.  The chips are generally meant to run at up to 100C, and they'll lower voltage on their own to stay under.  Worst comes to worst they'll just shut off before anything could actually be damaged, but even then , that never happens, they just slow down to stay cool.

Thanks, I did not know that. The keys on my laptop would get very hot hence the additional keyboard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×