PC not starting after lapping IHS

SmartArrow

Hi. I have Lenovo Idea Centre T540-15ICB G system with i7-9700 in it and started having issues with thermals. Tried re-paisting and different cooler same result. Idle 40°C load 87°C. Decided to lapp the IHS for proper contact whit cooler but after reassembly system not initializing. What can I doo to fix it?

How much did you lap? also how did you lap? wet or dry?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

36 minutes ago, SmartArrow said:

Hi. I have Lenovo Idea Centre T540-15ICB G system with i7-9700 in it and started having issues with thermals. Tried re-paisting and different cooler same result. Idle 40°C load 87°C. Decided to lapp the IHS for proper contact whit cooler but after reassembly system not initializing. What can I doo to fix it?

Next time don't lap it lol. First off 87c is completely fine, if it was 100c then maybe, but definitely not at 87. And modern CPUs don't need to be lapped anyways, just don't do it. If you want to go extreme with thermals, just use liquid metal, but don't lap.

To say how to fix it we would need more information. Maybe you damaged your cpu when lapping and need a new one? Maybe you just accidentaly unplugged a power cable. Unplug and replug all the motherboard cables just to be sure.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

Are you sure you got it completely cleaned off after lapping? As mentioned what was your lapping process?  Are you sure you didn't knock any surface mount components off of it the bottom when lapping (while trying to hold it)?

Lapping the CPU shouldn't have hurt it, it would have been something in the process, damage during the process, putting it back in wet, not cleaning it properly, etc. Even an uneven lapping job should just make it run hot, not fail to boot. So what does the system do, fans spin, anything?

Share more info please, like said above.

Cus now the answer is, remove the water from the socket. 😄

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Was wet lapping with 1000 gread sand paper. Cleaned everything with 97% isopropyl alcohol. My guess is when I lapped there was an gap between IHS and the chip itself and possibly metal chave and water infiltrated. So most likely will need one new CPU. I don't know what caused this fail but never more of lapping and with CPU prices rising the replacement will not be soon.

PC turns on but not posting.

6 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

Are you sure you got it completely cleaned off after lapping? As mentioned what was your lapping process?  Are you sure you didn't knock any surface mount components off of it the bottom when lapping (while trying to hold it)?

Lapping the CPU shouldn't have hurt it, it would have been something in the process, damage during the process, putting it back in wet, not cleaning it properly, etc. Even an uneven lapping job should just make it run hot, not fail to boot. So what does the system do, fans spin, anything?

Everything is normal except no post neater boot.

8 hours ago, Levent said:

How much did you lap? also how did you lap? wet or dry?

Just a little bit. Enough to bearly see the copper below. Wet lapping with 1000 gread paper.

And what best replacement for LGA1151 socket? Maby the i7-9700F because I have the gtx1650 and the F variant is without integrated graphics? And KF is more expensive and I only have 200W for the hole system and the stock bios don't allow over-clocking neater XMP profiles for RAM.