Photo editing system... with a twist

The_2PC

Budget (including currency):  up to 6-7K USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Not sure what the software is called

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I'll keep it simple, I'm designing a build for someone, but the task they are doing is something I'm not at all familiar with. They do design and construction, and as part of their process they take hundreds to thousands of aerial photos with a drone, then stitch them together with some software to make a large map or something, idk exactly what they use this for. I am not sure what the software is called, I'm trying to get that info from them, but in the meantime I wanted to see if anyone here is familiar with either the software options that are available for such a task, or what system resources are needed for this kind of thing. I don't know what camera they use or the resolution, but I do know they are all jpgs. They called a local computer company that quoted them 7.2k USD for an epyc 7443, 256GB, an RTXA2000, a supermicro mobo and a 2tb nvme to boot.

My first instinct was a threadripper, maybe 2970WX. but when it comes to RAM and GPU, I'm a little unsure how to proceed. If anyone has any experience or insight for this sort of workload I'm all ears!

If EPYC is being quoted, it's for the insane amount of PCIE Lanes.

There's got to be something in the build using it, as the parts you list are only around half the cost.

I don't think they quoted epyc for any reason other than it's got lots of cores, decently fast, and costs a lot. I assume this place does a hell of a markup if they are charging that much. I think they are sorta throwing the best stuff they can find at it and hoping that it works for what they want. I'd much prefer to find out exactly what sort of resources they need for such a task, build a much more reasonable and cost effective system, and impress the hell out of them in the process.

I guess it probably all comes down to the software and how exactly it accomplishes this. With hundreds of pictures my first guess what a program that automates this by recognizing which photos match up using some algorithm. Or maybe it's way simpler and uses timestamps or something? Idk, like I said this is a totally new kind of workload that I know very little about.

LTT did a video on a piece of software that mosaic'd a ton of photos, and it literally took a high end laptop overnight to run it.

uhhhhh  *googles* 

Also:  If you want someone to see your reply, quote them.

i think stitching photos will not be cpu heavy, but probably memory heavy.

as you see in the video, a laptop can do the job, albeit slow.

so yeah a threadripper with 128 gb should be good enough. 

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Update for anyone interested, the software is Pix4D. For anyone that might come across this in the future, here's the system requirements .

I think my threadripper + 128GB RAM idea is going to be a solid setup. They suggest 64GB for very large projects (1000-2000 pics) but I still think 128 is the way to go for the sake of future proofing. Apparently GPU requirements are very low, anything nvidia with at least 4GB. Im thinking a T1000. A series seems like overkill, and they have had issues with Quadros performing poorly with the software. Supposedly there are some settings to get around this, but I'd prefer something less likely to cause them problems in the future.

Hopefully someone else in the future finds this helpful

Cheers everyone

17 minutes ago, The_2PC said:

Update for anyone interested, the software is Pix4D. For anyone that might come across this in the future, here's the system requirements .

I think my threadripper + 128GB RAM idea is going to be a solid setup. They suggest 64GB for very large projects (1000-2000 pics) but I still think 128 is the way to go for the sake of future proofing. Apparently GPU requirements are very low, anything nvidia with at least 4GB. Im thinking a T1000. A series seems like overkill, and they have had issues with Quadros performing poorly with the software. Supposedly there are some settings to get around this, but I'd prefer something less likely to cause them problems in the future.

Hopefully someone else in the future finds this helpful

Cheers everyone

This link might help a bit.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Pix4D-207/Hardware-Recommendations