will we ever reach a point where GPUs are more efficient rather than power hungry?

Deathless401

now yes i know there is some sort of efficiency which has been going differentiates each gpu generation fro another and yes thers been a huge progress year by year BUT my main concern is power usage like seriously weve gone frome the days of 240watt is all you need to my 700 watt and then there was 1200 watt is overkill for any build or you can get away less than that, and then today our latest graphic cards hog more power than an entire household! pardon my exageration but really like this something that has a hude affect on the environment, our resources and my electricity bill! did i miss something? is there something im forgetting like the reason why theres a constant correlation of uptake in power usage with perfomance and maybe that corrolation will stay steady forever? 
this came up in my head when i was about to decide to do an upgrade until i realized the bill and cooliong cost

I think this pretty much applies to all computers in general
Like our phones are so strong samsung rather thermal throttle its phines to prevent hurting the device and increasing its lifespan

And same with hp and their pc( i really hope im making sense)

Surely they will. But issue with your argument is that, nothing actually pulls their rated power all the time. Sure if you are mining or gaming 24/7 it should make a noticeable impact especially at higher tier cards but other than that I can argue that performance per watt is better than ever but its just that cards are a lot more powerful nowadays.

My RTX3070 idles at the same or lower power consumption than my GTX970, 3070 also pulls around 30-40w more at full tilt but provides around 2.5x the performance.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

15 minutes ago, Levent said:

Surely they will. But issue with your argument is that, nothing actually pulls their rated power all the time. Sure if you are mining or gaming 24/7 it should make a noticeable impact especially at higher tier cards but other than that I can argue that performance per watt is better than ever but its just that cards are just a lot more powerful nowadays.

My RTX3070 idles at the same or lower power consumption than my GTX970, 3070 also pulls around 30-40w more at full tilt but provides around 2.5x the performance.

i want to upgrade because im doing 3d animations for science stuff , like you know the things which were told to imagine it happens like this, yeah thats what im trying to do, bring that imagine to real life for better understanding so a powerful gpu i need and my point still stands

8 minutes ago, Deathless401 said:

i want to upgrade because im doing 3d animations for science stuff , like you know the things which were told to imagine it happens like this, yeah thats what im trying to do, bring that imagine to real life for better understanding so a powerful gpu i need and my point still stands

I am having extremely hard time trying to make sense of this post and I am not going to try. Any way, so far hardware is evolving towards more powerful components but also getting efficient however software is also getting more demanding so there is more demand for powerful hardware (resulting in power over lower energy consumption).

Word you are looking for is "low power consumption" not efficiency.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

my 3070  uses like 100-150w on average, im pretty sure it still performs better than previous gen cards at same power usage. 

So we're already kinda there, its just people are chasing numbers and they *want* 450w+ monsters, see EVGA especially, with extra power hungry bios etc.

Truth is "efficiency" doesn't sell, but we're already there anyways,  in theory.

13 hours ago, Deathless401 said:

lets forget for a moment how incredible vague this is, you still dont need the most power-hungry kingpin 3090ti for that, an undervolted 3060 would probably do, but do you *want* that?

I have my doubts lol.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Not sure what you talking about, most current gen desktop GPU dominate "energy efficiency" race. 

energy-efficiency.png

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |