HP M234 cartidge amber light on - can't print

Oddvar Ashborn

Hello there folks,

i just bought a new toner for said printer, not original, and i've installed the chip from the original toner. Problem is, i can copy/print a paper using the scanner, but i can't print anything from the PC because, it being the old chip, it gives me "print error" most likely due to the fact that it's believed to be empty. The cartridge amber light keeps blinking.

How do i bypass this (force print)? Or make the printer think the cartridge is fuller (reset toner status)?

Thanks!

i9 9900KS @5.0Ghz | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | EVGA RTX 2080S FTW3 ULTRA | ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING | Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz CL15 | Samsung 970EVO 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 512GB | 2xHDD Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Enermax Platimax 1500W | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE

So it’s a toner cartridge you are taking about so it’s a laser printer not an ink jet as I was thinking of when you said “cartridge”. It’s getting power, because yellow light.  Not knowing the make or model or anything it’s real hard to look up.  DRM on printers sucks really hard. I normally associate abusive DRM with ink jet, but I also haven’t bought a printer in a long time.  I don’t know how to get around that one but it is probably well researched and documented if there is a way.  It does happen occasionally that the people who make them are so greedy they make mistakes.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

So it’s a toner cartridge you are taking about so it’s a laser printer not an ink jet as I was thinking of when you said “cartridge”. It’s getting power, because yellow light.  Not knowing the make or model or anything it’s real hard to look up.  DRM on printers sucks really hard. I normally associate abusive DRM with ink jet, but I also haven’t bought a printer in a long time.  I don’t know how to get around that one but it is probably well researched and documented if there is a way.  It does happen occasionally that the people who make them are so greedy they make mistakes.

Unfortunately i've googled quite a lot before opening this thread, and nothing came up. I can just print if i make a copy with the scanner, but if i try to print something from the PC, print error.

i9 9900KS @5.0Ghz | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | EVGA RTX 2080S FTW3 ULTRA | ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING | Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz CL15 | Samsung 970EVO 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 512GB | 2xHDD Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Enermax Platimax 1500W | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE

1 minute ago, Oddvar Ashborn said:

Unfortunately i've googled quite a lot before opening this thread, and nothing came up. I can just print if i make a copy with the scanner, but if i try to print something from the PC, print error.

Then there currently may not be.  The trick I think is to not buy a printer with drm on it in the first place

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

38 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Then there currently may not be.  The trick I think is to not buy a printer with drm on it in the first place

I didn't even know there was such a thing

31 minutes ago, Oddvar Ashborn said:

I didn't even know there was such a thing

There may not be any more on the consumer level.  I assure you at the enterprise level they don’t put up with that.  It used to be that NO printer had drm.  There was a time when Cannon refused to put DRM on their printers and simply sold them as hardware instead.  These days I understand they are one of the worst offenders. Mining the brand. It used to be epson.

17 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

There may not be any more on the consumer level.  I assure you at the enterprise level they don’t put up with that.  It used to be that NO printer had drm.  There was a time when Cannon refused to put DRM on their printers and simply sold them as hardware instead.  These days I understand they are one of the worst offenders. Mining the brand. It used to be epson.

This just makes me hate printers even more...