Can't find CPU Fan LED plug in, Gigabyte X470 Motherboard ,help please.

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,

That board doesn't have that, it's a board designed for 12V LEDs, not 5V addressable like what's found on that cooler. 

I know someone does make an adapter for it, but whether or not you want to buy it is up to you. 

As for that poll (no idea why it's on this post but sure), anything under $1000 I'd consider budget, mostly because you're starting to have to sacrifice stuff to stay under budget. There are varying degrees of budget, you can go full scrapyard wars and build a system with a 1070 and i7 4790 for $300 (I've done it and will continue to do it), it's just that IMO the limit at which you can get something that you don't really have any major compromises (bad case, little storage, only 4 CPU cores, etc.) is $1000. 

A Budget home built PC is...  

2 members have voted

1. 1. A Budget home built PC is...

• Under $700
    • $701 to $999
    • $1,000-$1,200
    • Anything under $2,000

The motherboard is Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AM4, and the CPU Cooler is VETROO V5. I cannot locate where to connect the LED to the MOBO. It is 4 pin Wide but has 1 missing on purpose.

xoxx pattern, cannot find anything on the MOBO that has this missing pin pattern.

Please help, thank you.

That board doesn't have that, it's a board designed for 12V LEDs, not 5V addressable like what's found on that cooler. 

I know someone does make an adapter for it, but whether or not you want to buy it is up to you. 

As for that poll (no idea why it's on this post but sure), anything under $1000 I'd consider budget, mostly because you're starting to have to sacrifice stuff to stay under budget. There are varying degrees of budget, you can go full scrapyard wars and build a system with a 1070 and i7 4790 for $300 (I've done it and will continue to do it), it's just that IMO the limit at which you can get something that you don't really have any major compromises (bad case, little storage, only 4 CPU cores, etc.) is $1000. 

8 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

THANK GOD you have told me the board doesn't have this because I've looked at the board and the manual 20 times even looked at the board with a magnifying glass..

The poll was for some fun....  I recall the days when $1K was excessive to spend on a computer home built or pre-built in a box from say 1983-1987 era..

But I am old, 52, ancient.

Thanks again for ending my looking.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/17/2022 at 1:31 PM, RONOTHAN## said:

HOLD ON..I hope you and some others have the long term memory to remember this thread. I've checked the manual for my motherbaord and I think it does support the RGB/LED for that Vetroo V5 Cooler.

Motherboard is, Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD board.

This a check back about rgb/led on my Vetroo V5 cpu cooler that comes with a 4-pin led/rgb wire connector.

Under the heading #7 in the manual, the pdf.

7) LED_CPU (CPU Cooler LED Strip/RGB LED Strip Header)

On page 15 it seems to show supprt for CPU LED and shows a header which 12 volts.

Am I correct?

The Vetroo V5 cpu air cooler has a 4 pin connector for led/rgb but I was told by replies here that it won't work on my board. I don't want to try this for fear of even coming close to damaging the device of the motherboard.

I'd appreciate any info.

Attached is the section on Page 15 of the Manual.1824873089_CPURGB.LEDVETROO_JPG.jpg.f7cccc00d54fbb08b4dc212860390585.jpg

23 minutes ago, RaputerXpert said:

HOLD ON..I hope you and some others have the long term memory to remember this thread. I've checked the manual for my motherbaord and I think it does support the RGB/LED for that Vetroo V5 Cooler.

Motherboard is, Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD board.

This a check back about rgb/led on my Vetroo V5 cpu cooler that comes with a 4-pin led/rgb wire connector.

Under the heading #7 in the manual, the pdf.

7) LED_CPU (CPU Cooler LED Strip/RGB LED Strip Header)

On page 15 it seems to show supprt for CPU LED and shows a header which 12 volts.

Am I correct?

The Vetroo V5 cpu air cooler has a 4 pin connector for led/rgb but I was told by replies here that it won't work on my board. I don't want to try this for fear of even coming close to damaging the device of the motherboard.

I'd appreciate any info.

Attached is the section on Page 15 of the Manual.1824873089_CPURGB.LEDVETROO_JPG.jpg.f7cccc00d54fbb08b4dc212860390585.jpg

Yes the motherboard does have a 4 pin fan header on it, but the problem is the cooler doesn't have a 4 pin connector. If you look, the cooler has the space for 4 pins, but there are only holes for 3 of the pins. That connector (4 pins with one of the pins empty) is referred to as the 3 pin ARGB header, which your board does not have. Plus, you can't just get a straight adapter for them because the RGB connector runs off 12Vo and the ARGB connector runs off 5Vo, and overvolting the LEDs like that can cause them to blow up very quickly. 

GitHub - madninjaskillz/MadLed: Simple LED control for multiple 3 pin RGB  fans based on WS281X for Arduino (Uno) Boards

This should be what the connector on the Vetroo V5 looks like, and this connector does not work on the connector from the manual. 

There are adapters out there IIRC, though I don't remember any of them being particularly good. 

On 6/8/2022 at 9:26 PM, RONOTHAN## said:

Yes the motherboard does have a 4 pin fan header on it, but the problem is the cooler doesn't have a 4 pin connector. If you look, the cooler has the space for 4 pins, but there are only holes for 3 of the pins. That connector (4 pins with one of the pins empty) is referred to as the 3 pin ARGB header, which your board does not have. Plus, you can't just get a straight adapter for them because the RGB connector runs off 12Vo and the ARGB connector runs off 5Vo, and overvolting the LEDs like that can cause them to blow up very quickly. 

GitHub - madninjaskillz/MadLed: Simple LED control for multiple 3 pin RGB  fans based on WS281X for Arduino (Uno) Boards

This should be what the connector on the Vetroo V5 looks like, and this connector does not work on the connector from the manual. 

There are adapters out there IIRC, though I don't remember any of them being particularly good. 

Well Crap! The story of my sad, lonely, irredeemable life fooled yet again to clown town again!.

1. Well, is there something CHEAP with RGB to throw some short strip of LED light to let me see the fan is rotating?

2. Also, CPU_OPT says it's for the Pump if you have Liquid cooling but, can it be simply used for another CPU fan instead?

And thanks for the detailed help's.

1 hour ago, RaputerXpert said:

1. Well, is there something CHEAP with RGB to throw some short strip of LED light to let me see the fan is rotating?

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-RGB-Controller-Illumination-Motherboard/dp/B089YT49LL/ref=asc_df_B089YT49LL/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=533458241275&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6005061989418271931&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9052110&hvtargid=pla-1259905316118&psc=1

This should let you control the cooler's RGB directly for relatively cheap.

1 hour ago, RaputerXpert said:

2. Also, CPU_OPT says it's for the Pump if you have Liquid cooling but, can it be simply used for another CPU fan instead?

Yes, the pump headers are usually just designed to be able to handle more current so they can run higher power things like pumps. They can still run regular CPU fans though.

On 6/11/2022 at 10:45 AM, RONOTHAN## said:

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-RGB-Controller-Illumination-Motherboard/dp/B089YT49LL/ref=asc_df_B089YT49LL/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=533458241275&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6005061989418271931&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9052110&hvtargid=pla-1259905316118&psc=1

This should let you control the cooler's RGB directly for relatively cheap.

Yes, the pump headers are usually just designed to be able to handle more current so they can run higher power things like pumps. They can still run regular CPU fans though.

Mucho many thanks!😀