Framework Computer Inc. release schematics for their laptop!

MichaelMouton
6 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

either stuff is repairable as in not soldered on custom parts or it isnt,

Something being soldered is still repairable, in fact solder is a very good choice for a repairable parts as it can be removed and replaced many many times without damaging the board or the parts, unlike glue or resin. 

Reparaiblty is not about something being so easy to repair that you can do it when high and drunk but rather that it is possible to pay a skilled workman to do it without risking breaking the law (getting stolen schematics) to do the job. Of course what is really needed for schematics to be published is the parts supplies (aka intel) to not consider information like the cpu sockets connection to the motherboard as under NDA. 

8 hours ago, williamcll said:

yes but how do I fabricate a new VRAM to replace another broken one?

Make some ✨ Special ✨ sand

✨FNIGE✨

7 hours ago, James Evens said:

At the end of the day money counts. If IC manufacturer see diminishing demand for those stupid NDA parts they will fade away.

I don't see that happening. The think is vendors like to controle the contracts with thier clients.  Parts makers what to have the directly relationship with the OEM that is going to use the part (as this gives them the largest possible margins, no third party involved). The NDA approach guarantees this controle of parts (to the extend that many of them will not even let you re-sell parts you buy from them but don't use up). 

OEMs going directly to the factory, and getting a contract like this, is the best way to ensure they will have deliveries of X units per week over a given pre-determined time scale to support the rest of thier just in time production.

I think there are very few laptop makers that have enough volume that they could effectively make change and most of them would still be constrained by intel/Nvidia/AMD on the big bits.  Maybe Dell, HP, Lenovo could do full schematics for the snapdragons (but I don't think the snapdragon data-sheet if fully public..). Apple have might ironically be in the situation were it is the easiest for them to do this. They would have a few parts that are also under stupid NDAs but they have a lot of buying power and do not need to move the needle on anything are large as intel or Nvidia.

On 5/16/2022 at 10:46 AM, LAwLz said:

I don't really get it.

How are these news "amazing" when it is seemingly a vague document that does not contain information necessary to do repairs? I don't really get why I or anyone else should be excited over this or why it is a good thing.

Isn't "Louis Says" enough for you?

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

25 minutes ago, Video Beagle said:

Isn't "Louis Says" enough for you?

I can't tell if you are being serious or if you are mocking the other people in this thread.

No, "louis says" is not enough for me.

And as the pinned comment on the video says:

I know you address this concern in the video but they have only published 10 pages of something that should be somewhere between 50 and 90 pages. As their README says:

"The Electrical folder contains the pinouts and part numbers of the connectors on the Mainboard.

All of this is a starting point for a broader set of open source Mainboard documentation to enable creation of fully compatible third-party Mainboards in the future."

So no, for now this is not what was expected.

Also interesting to note that this is a Compal mainboard, they have completely hidden the Compal branding in the document, except the title still has the original project and model numbers.

However if ever they do not release the full document, there is a possibility that it leaks through third-party sources (but of course that will not be the expected public release and even less an open-source one).

(above is copy/pasted from what I posted on Discord)

I don't want people (both manufacturers and the general public) to think that this is what the repair community is asking for. And the whole point is that they may or may not release what was asked. So until they actually provide the full schematics, there's not much to celebrate. You can however thank them for releasing part of the design information which is indeed more than most other laptop manufacturers, but this is no schematics.

On 5/24/2022 at 3:34 AM, LAwLz said:

I can't tell if you are being serious or if you are mocking the other people in this thread.

Well, I usually refer to him as a buggy whip repairman, so you can go from there 🧲

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

On 5/16/2022 at 6:46 PM, LAwLz said:

I don't really get it.

How are these news "amazing" when it is seemingly a vague document that does not contain information necessary to do repairs? I don't really get why I or anyone else should be excited over this or why it is a good thing.

marketing

• 2 weeks later...

That’s fucking useless. Board level repair isn’t desirable.

Also whatever Louis “why diagnose a fault when I can charge for another repair” Rossman says about electronics I’m inclined to believe the exact opposite.