Headphones recommendation

ttonk81

I'm in the market for some new headphones so looking for some recommendations.

They will be mostly used for gaming but occasionally music and voice chat also.

I don't need a mic build in as I have a Elgato Wave 3

They need to be 3.5mm jack so I can plug them into the back of the Wave 3

I am not worried about RGB. Its not a deal breaker either way.

Ideally if possible I would like wireless headphones with a charging base station. USB dongle is no use as I want to connect them via the Wave 3 so would need 3.5mm connection from base station.

If its not possible with wireless using 3.5mm then wired is fine.

What do you recommend ?

Depends on what you're looking for as far as sound quality. I have a pair of of Sony MDR-ZX110s. Inexpensive and surprisingly good sound quality for the price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NJ2M33I

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

1 hour ago, An0maly_76 said:

Sony MDR-ZX110s. Inexpensive and surprisingly good sound quality for the price.

If you've heard nothing else notable for the price maybe. A pocketful of change more will buy you a set that is miles better. Koss KSC-75's are the undisputed champions of the sub ~$50 price category, and legitimately have no competition.

Being that we have no reference for your budget, here's everything I'd recomment up to $500, lol:

$20-$50

Koss KSC-75

$50-$100

Shure SRH440A

Philips SHP 9500

Takstar Pro82 / Cooler Master MH751

$100-$200

HiFiMan HE400SE

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro / TYGR 300R

$200-$350

AKG K612 Pro

Sennheiser HD6XX or HD650

Audio Technica ATH-R70x

$350-$500

HiFiMan Sundara

$500-$700

HiFiMan Edition XS

[Main Desktop]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti (FTW3 Ultra)  MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon (X470)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 (2x8GB)

COOLER: Arctic LiquidFreezer II 280 STORAGE: G.SKILL Phoenix FTL 240GB SSD, Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, Toshiba 2TB HDD, Seagate 4TB HDD

PSU: EVGA GQ-1000W 80+ Gold  CASE: The MESHMOD v1.0 (Custom Deepcool Matrexx 70 chassis)  MONITOR: AOC 24G2 144Hz (IPS) 

MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO (wired)  KEYBOARD: Rosewill K81 RGB (Kailh Brown)  HEADPHONES: HiFiMan Ananda, Drop x Sennheiser HD6XX

IEMS: 7Hz Timeless, Tin Audio T2, Blon BL-03, Samsung/AKG Galaxy Buds Pro  STUDIO MONITORS: Mackie MR524, Mackie MRS10  MIC: NEAT Worker Bee  

INTERFACE: Focusrite Scarlett Solo  AMPLIFIER: SMSL SP200 THX AAA-888, XDUOO XD-05 Basic  DAC: SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII (upgraded AK4493 Version)

WHEEL: Logitech G29 + Logitech G Shifter

[Stream Encoder]

CPU: AMD FX-9590  GPU: Sapphire R9 390X (Tri-X OC)  MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 (AM3+)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 (2x8GB)

COOLER: EVGA CLC 280 PSU: MSI A750GF 80+ Gold CASE: Phanteks P400A Digital

[Garage]

CAR: 2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX (EM2)  ENGINE: D17A1, planned K20A2 swap  INTAKE: DIY Solutions Short RAM  HEADERS: Motor1 4-2-1 with Cat-Delete

EXHAUST: Yonaka 2.5" Cat-Back with 3.5" tip (YMCB-CIV0105)  COILOVERS: MaXpeedingrods adjustable  RIMS: Core Racing Concept Seven Alloys (15x6.5)

RECEIVER: Kenwood DPX304MBT  SOUND DEADENING: Damplifier Pro Deadening Mats  SOUND DAMPENING: Custom solution, layers of thick insulation

DOOR SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-P710PS 6.5" Components  WINDOW LEDGE SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-6996PS 6x9" 5-Ways

1 hour ago, An0maly_76 said:

***(I have a pair of)*** Sony MDR-ZX110s. Inexpensive and surprisingly good sound quality for the price.

3 minutes ago, OfficialTechSpace said:

If you've heard nothing else notable for the price maybe. A pocketful of change more will buy you a set that is miles better. Koss KSC-75's are the undisputed champions of the sub ~$50 price category, and legitimately have no competition.

I DID say that's what I have. I really wish people would quote me in full, instead of just what suits them.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

2 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

I DID say that's what I have. I really wish people would quote me in full, instead of just what suits them.

Seemed irrelevant to the point I was making. Made the conscious decision to cut out the bloat I wasn't responding to. Nobody disputed whether or not you had them.

[Main Desktop]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti (FTW3 Ultra)  MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon (X470)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 (2x8GB)

COOLER: Arctic LiquidFreezer II 280 STORAGE: G.SKILL Phoenix FTL 240GB SSD, Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, Toshiba 2TB HDD, Seagate 4TB HDD

PSU: EVGA GQ-1000W 80+ Gold  CASE: The MESHMOD v1.0 (Custom Deepcool Matrexx 70 chassis)  MONITOR: AOC 24G2 144Hz (IPS) 

MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO (wired)  KEYBOARD: Rosewill K81 RGB (Kailh Brown)  HEADPHONES: HiFiMan Ananda, Drop x Sennheiser HD6XX

IEMS: 7Hz Timeless, Tin Audio T2, Blon BL-03, Samsung/AKG Galaxy Buds Pro  STUDIO MONITORS: Mackie MR524, Mackie MRS10  MIC: NEAT Worker Bee  

INTERFACE: Focusrite Scarlett Solo  AMPLIFIER: SMSL SP200 THX AAA-888, XDUOO XD-05 Basic  DAC: SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII (upgraded AK4493 Version)

[Stream Encoder]

CPU: AMD FX-9590  GPU: Sapphire R9 390X (Tri-X OC)  MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 (AM3+)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 (2x8GB)

[Garage]

CAR: 2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX (EM2)  ENGINE: D17A1, planned K20A2 swap  INTAKE: DIY Solutions Short RAM  HEADERS: Motor1 4-2-1 with Cat-Delete

EXHAUST: Yonaka 2.5" Cat-Back with 3.5" tip (YMCB-CIV0105)  COILOVERS: MaXpeedingrods adjustable  RIMS: Core Racing Concept Seven Alloys (15x6.5)

RECEIVER: Kenwood DPX304MBT  SOUND DEADENING: Damplifier Pro Deadening Mats  SOUND DAMPENING: Custom solution, layers of thick insulation

DOOR SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-P710PS 6.5" Components  WINDOW LEDGE SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-6996PS 6x9" 5-Ways

1 hour ago, OfficialTechSpace said:

Being that we have no reference for your budget, here's everything I'd recomment up to $500, lol:

$20-$50

Koss KSC-75

$50-$100

Shure SRH440A

Philips SHP 9500

Takstar Pro82 / Cooler Master MH751

$100-$200

HiFiMan HE400SE

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro / TYGR 300R

$200-$350

AKG K612 Pro

Sennheiser HD6XX or HD650

Audio Technica ATH-R70x

$350-$500

HiFiMan Sundara

$500-$700

HiFiMan Edition XS

Thankyou

I left the price off as to be honest I am not sure currently what my budget is. £300 would probably be my absolute max
Ill have a look through the recommendations 

11 hours ago, ttonk81 said:

I'm in the market for some new headphones so looking for some recommendations.

They will be mostly used for gaming but occasionally music and voice chat also.

I don't need a mic build in as I have a Elgato Wave 3

They need to be 3.5mm jack so I can plug them into the back of the Wave 3

I am not worried about RGB. Its not a deal breaker either way.

Ideally if possible I would like wireless headphones with a charging base station. USB dongle is no use as I want to connect them via the Wave 3 so would need 3.5mm connection from base station.

If its not possible with wireless using 3.5mm then wired is fine.

What do you recommend ?

Takstar Pro 82 would be my recommendation; been using them for the last 4 years:

Excellent comfort (my main priority)

Sound good, (with bass ports closed; low bass is tight, controlled, and punchy without bleeding into mids)

detachable cable

3.5mm with 1/4 trs adapter included

flight case for transport

Excellent adjustability (smallest setting could fit on a toddler, while the largest setting work work for even the biggest heads)

Only downside is that the pads aren't replaceable (glued on) and they start to flake quite quickly

I was looking at the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro / TYGR 300R but I noticed a lot of the recommended headphones are open backed.

If I understand this correctly this means that the sound from them will be heard in the room, would this not interfere and be picked up by the microphone?

If so, what closed back headphones would be recommended? 

5 hours ago, ttonk81 said:

I was looking at the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro / TYGR 300R but I noticed a lot of the recommended headphones are open backed.

If I understand this correctly this means that the sound from them will be heard in the room, would this not interfere and be picked up by the microphone?

If so, what closed back headphones would be recommended? 

If you're tracking vocals, sure, that's a realistic concern.

I would not worry about it for a chat application. Even with speakers I usually get away with it, and with open-back headphones it's not an issue. Almost all of these applications have pretty good algorithms to address this issue.

Depending on the genre - some (many?) headphones might be very tiring or worse. If you play smth with a lot of shooting and attention to player positions (PUBG, CS etc) - be prepared to eq them, so you won’t go deaf from all the shooting or miss all cues of people coming up to you.

However, this might cause some imaging/soundstage changes that will make sound positioning worse.

Mic/software can do a descent job filtering noise from the room and/or open back headphones… unless it’s very noisy… then NVidia RTX Voice is you best bet.

Go for the open back unless your room is noisy (blasting loud volume into your ears) or you need privacy (sharing your desk).

My desk is in my living room so ideally need closed back so as to not interfere with anyone watching tv etc

46 minutes ago, ttonk81 said:

My desk is in my living room so ideally need closed back so as to not interfere with anyone watching tv etc

Lol. A living room if different than a library, you won't disturb anyone. Unless you play your cans at an earpiercing level, nobody will even notice. Cross that concern off the list ❌

The only difference between closed & open-back cans is that one has a bunch of detrimental drawbacks, such as reflections and unnatural tibre. The other leaks a bit more sound, but drops the other detriments like a hot potato. These aren't earspeakers or giant planar driver headphones, these are Beyerdynamics with 45mm transducers. There are also other potential benefits, but depending upon the headphone's design they may or may not take advantage of them. Soundstage is one, but Sennheiser makes a good example of how it's possible to not have a wider soundstage even with an open-back design. It's inconsistent across designs, but worth it for the most part.

[Main Desktop]

[Stream Encoder]

[Garage]

2 hours ago, OfficialTechSpace said:

Lol. A living room if different than a library, you won't disturb anyone. Unless you play your cans at an earpiercing level, nobody will even notice. Cross that concern off the list ❌

The only difference between closed & open-back cans is that one has a bunch of detrimental drawbacks, such as reflections and unnatural tibre. The other leaks a bit more sound, but drops the other detriments like a hot potato. These aren't earspeakers or giant planar driver headphones, these are Beyerdynamics with 45mm transducers. There are also other potential benefits, but depending upon the headphone's design they may or may not take advantage of them. Soundstage is one, but Sennheiser makes a good example of how it's possible to not have a wider soundstage even with an open-back design. It's inconsistent across designs, but worth it for the most part.

AHH ok thankyou 🙂

I was imagining open back headphones to be like having speakers on your shoulders and so everyone would hear easily the sound.