Why does USB TP-Link BT adapter work better than Intel on-board BT?

Longbow1

So i build a new rig using a MSI mobo that has the ax201 onboard.  I have some bose earbuds that i use to listen to music.  When using the onboard it will randomly disconnect.  But if i plug in my old TP-Link usb BT adapter it work flawlessly.  Can anyone give a explaination?

Thanks

I found many complaints from onboard BT is the user didn't realize the antennas were also used for the Bluetooth. Just had them disconnected. 

The AX200 in my B550i is rock solid across my damn house. 

but i have the antenna connected.  I had the tp-link and the Ax201 fully installed at smae time.  I just dont understand.  BTY, i just a new asus ax card with BT 5.2.  what is the differnce for a average user?  can you use a wifi adapter that has both BT and wifi on the same cards?  Using the same antennas?  Or does it have to be seperate antennas?  Never used a wifi card that has BT onbaord.

Thanks

Its the same antennas. The Intel AX2xx chips commonly installed on motherboards and add-in cards all use the one set of antennas for both Wifi and Bluetooth. 

1 hour ago, Longbow1 said:

ust dont understand

Simple Bluetooth is low powered compared to WiFI. Any WIFi signals using the same channel as Bluetooth will cause interference. Add in the fact that most WIFi/Bluetooth cards built in are going to have antennas directly connected to the motherboard. Directly behind the case of the PC, which is generally made of steel, aluminum and or glass. All of that interferes with the signal getting to and from the device. The USB dongle is likely connected in to a front USB port, allowing Antennas clear line of sight to the device. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

9 hours ago, Donut417 said:

most WIFi/Bluetooth cards built in are going to have antennas directly connected to the motherboard. Directly behind the case of the PC, which is generally made of steel, aluminum and or glass. All of that interferes with the signal getting to and from the device. The USB dongle is likely connected in to a front USB port, allowing Antennas clear line of sight to the device. 

^^^ This

This is why some manufacturers like ASUS includes antennas on a cable, so you can put it on the top of your PC.  Though their antennas suck as they fall over too easily (so I used self-adhesive velcro), the magnetic ones are better.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7