CAT6e cable not working from modem to laptop?

jgilbreath77

Hello! I’ve made a CAT6e patch cable. The cable works fine when run between a modem and router, but doesn’t work when run from modem to laptop. Is their a standard reason this would be the case?

Thank you!

Edited by jgilbreath77
Grammar

Generally a modem will pass a public IP to the first thing that asks (your router in this case) and won't hand out a new address until rebooted in most cases. You really don't want to plug directly into the modem though because if your laptop gets the public IP then nothing else will get connectivity to the internet AND your PC is going to be ripe for attack being directly exposed on the internet in most cases.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 hours ago, Lurick said:

Generally a modem will pass a public IP to the first thing that asks (your router in this case) and won't hand out a new address until rebooted in most cases. You really don't want to plug directly into the modem though because if your laptop gets the public IP then nothing else will get connectivity to the internet AND your PC is going to be ripe for attack being directly exposed on the internet in most cases.

Gotcha, the router was the first device plugged into the modem.

So, all other future device I add to my network, via Ethernet should be connected to the router. Is that correct?

If I plan to expand my network later (network switch) should that be connected to the router as well?

Does plugging into the router impact connection speeds at all? Both my router and modem are capable of 2gbps. 

Thank you, so much!

6 hours ago, jgilbreath77 said:

So, all other future device I add to my network, via Ethernet should be connected to the router. Is that correct?

If I plan to expand my network later (network switch) should that be connected to the router as well?

Does plugging into the router impact connection speeds at all? Both my router and modem are capable of 2gbps. 

Thank you, so much!

If you want stuff to work, yes. The router is what gives out IP addresses. Modem --->Router--->everything else. If you need more ports, add the switch somewhere after the router.

This is for 99% of people. There will always be exceptions. But I doubt you will be one of them.

10 hours ago, jgilbreath77 said:

Thank you, so much!

Correct, you'll want to use a switch if you want more ports to expand the router but yes, modem > router > switch | clients | etc

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 hours ago, Lurick said:

Correct, you'll want to use a switch if you want more ports to expand the router but yes, modem > router > switch | clients | etc

Perfect! Thank you so much for the insight. 

8 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

If you want stuff to work, yes. The router is what gives out IP addresses. Modem --->Router--->everything else. If you need more ports, add the switch somewhere after the router.

This is for 99% of people. There will always be exceptions. But I doubt you will be one of them.

Thank you for the info, much appreciated 🙂