Why is my SSD running much much cooler after installing a heatsink for it?

I know it might seem like a stupid question but I don't understand how it would run around 50-60°C to 30-40°C? Perhaps I need to change the airflow and possibly increase fan speed? From my understanding, heatsinks for SSD doesn't make much of a difference. I'm currently using my AIO cpu cooler as an exhaust.

Upgrade in the making

MY CURRENT PC - GIGABYTE B550 Aorus Pro V2 | Ryzen 9 5900X | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB 3200MHz C16 | RTX 3070 Ti VENTUS 3X | 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4.0 NVMe | 1TB SAMSUNG 980 NVMe 3.0 | RM750x Corsair | Corsair iCUE H150i Elite CAPELLIX | Corsair iCUE 7000X RGB 

It doesn't make much of a difference... As far as performance goes. (though 60 is a bit high IMO, is this a limited airflow case with plenty of glass panels wiith very few actual intake?)

But obviously, if you put a chunk of metal on a heat generating chip, it will run cooler than if it didn't have it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

It may also be a thermal sink so under constant loading you may see temperatures that are 10 or so degrees below previously encountered.

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

that seems to be heatsink working as intended. what was the problem?

maybe your SSD wasnt able to dissipate heat properly without it, or located in bad place for dissipating heat. 

The heat is produced in a very small concentrated place, in the ssd controller chip. The flash memory chips don't produce that much heat. 

With only the sticker spreading some heat across the ssd, there's not much heat transfer so the temperature stays up. 

With the heatsink applied, heat can go from controller chip directly into the cold metal above and then spread across the fins of the heatsink. The heatsink acts like a cold bottle, it takes a long time for the heat from the chip to heat up the metal chunk, and there may also be some natural air movement through the case which moves air through the heatsink fins taking the minute heat increase away.