Are my Wi-Fi antenna or port broken?

Whateverchan

Recently, my upload speed has been inconsistent for unknown reason. Normally, speed test would show the upload speed to be around 10-11 Mbps. But since a few days ago, sometimes, it would drop down to below 10 or even 5. Not sure if it's the router, the server, or my PC. We do have many devices in the house connecting to the internet at the same time. But before, I still got stable internet speed. Today, sometimes it's 10, 11, but can randomly drop down to within 3 to 9. I was wondering if the antenna needed a reset. So I reset the router, and tried to reseat the antenna on my PC. When I did that just now, I noticed that one of the port where you plug the antenna in is loose. I can plug the antenna in, tighten it, but I can still move it left, right, up, down a bit. The other antenna is tightly plugged in. I do recall having a bit difficulty removing it, perhaps I might have accidentally damaged it. But I clean my PC every week, even the back of the PC and the antenna, so I think this is bound to happen eventually. Maybe?

Question is: is it broken? Or will it stop working eventually? Should I just stop cleaning this part? I've been running speed test for an hour now, and the upload speed hasn't dropped again. It might again, though.

Let me upload a photo of it.

https://i.ibb.co/Lrf7hTh/20220503-022746.jpg

The one on the right. That's the loose one. I can wiggle it even without the antenna connected. Is there any I need to do or can do? Really hope I won't have to deal with any complicated hardware issue again. Thanks in advance.

7 hours ago, Whateverchan said:

Let me upload a photo of it.

https://i.ibb.co/Lrf7hTh/20220503-022746.jpg

The one on the right. That's the loose one. I can wiggle it even without the antenna connected. Is there any I need to do or can do? Really hope I won't have to deal with any complicated hardware issue again. Thanks in advance.

Its extremely common for those sockets to come loose, as long as you do not continue to rotate it then its probably fine.  Its certainly possible the little cable on the inside has disconnected or been twisted to death, though I've had many loose and not killed one yet.

One important thing to check is when that PC is going slow, do other devices too?  What are you using to test your upload speed?  Does moving the PC make a difference as once the socket comes loose you will no longer be able to able to position that antenna as it will flop down (or is the antenna on a cable?).

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

No, not necessarily. Sometimes, my phone would randomly slow down when I'm in the restroom, but it's hard to notice if they slow down at the same time. Especially since I was mainly focusing on the upload speed. Download speed did fluctuate as well. Not as bad, within 100 to 200 mpbs. Pretty random. Perhaps better when there are less devices running... I thought it was odd that a few days ago, sometimes, some websites would give an "unable to connect" page and I have to refresh them. So I go to speed test Ookla and notice this fluctuation. Don't know if this is normal or not.

Moving the PC doesn't seem to matter. Not like I can move it anywhere outside my room. What does seem to help is if I position the antenna at 135 degree instead of 90, the speed often becomes faster. No they are not on a cable. They can be attached to or detached from the connector, but no internet if they are detached.

Should I just stop touching this part?

2 hours ago, Whateverchan said:

Moving the PC doesn't seem to matter. Not like I can move it anywhere outside my room. What does seem to help is if I position the antenna at 135 degree instead of 90, the speed often becomes faster. No they are not on a cable. They can be attached to or detached from the connector, but no internet if they are detached.

Should I just stop touching this part?

Its a tricky one, as it will likely become so loose you can't position them any more.  The drag with this is you may not be able really tighten them back up properly without getting to the other side of the IO shield, though I'd hope the nut on the other side would be recessed in some way that locks it in place so you CAN just tighten the one on the outside, though it looks kinda hard to get pliers in there to do it due to the IO shield itself.

I'd definitely try not to touch it more than absolutely necessary if you can tighten the nut.  You could perhaps try an antenna on a cable, so you can reposition the antennas without touching the back of the PC.  I also always recommend that to keep the antennas further from the PC case that can block some of the WiFi signal.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7