Hooking up an Xbox to a NAS / Mass Storage?

Hey all,

It's no secret that modern AAA Xbox games are huge [insert COD jokes here]. Pair that with consoles having 1-2TB of storage, or just 360GB on the Xbox Series S, the storage really fills up quick.

Is it possible to combat this by connecting an Xbox One / Series console to a form of mass storage?

This question sounds pretty dumb and all, but whether or not this is possible really interests me.

-Nicole

You can just upgrade the hdd by yourself.

as far as i know you can't store the game in nas.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

27 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

You can just upgrade the hdd by yourself.

as far as i know you can't store the game in nas.

Yeah, but I'm talking about something crazy like 50+TB of storage.

You would need the ability to map the "local drive" to a network share. I don't think the Xbox lets you do that.

The closest you could get is a USB 3 RAID enclosure.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

33 minutes ago, dotnetcole said:

Yeah, but I'm talking about something crazy like 50+TB of storage.

You are mad, you don't need 50TB for game drive.

You can just redownload old games at any time.

The best you can do is getting a usb nas.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

3 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

You are mad, you don't need 50TB for game drive.

You can just redownload old games at any time.

Depends on their internet. If they have a 50TB library, their internet would be a huge issue, and the stupid expansion card is stupid expensive.

52 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Depends on their internet. If they have a 50TB library, their internet would be a huge issue, and the stupid expansion card is stupid expensive.

well luckily in urban area you can get at least 100mbps now. and ofcourse i'm not talking about downloading them all at once.

Xbox One systems and the Series systems have a limit of 16TB per external drive. You can't use any sort of FTP/NAS solution on them either. 

• 9 months later...

All of you are wrong. Xbox has a Network Transfer protocol through the Games & Apps Management interface. Only works between two Xbox’s on the same network (Supports Xbox One and above). If we are able to figure out:

1) How to advertise a Samba network share as an Xbox on the network

2) Set authentication

2) Figure out file system requirements

3) Initiate a transfer from the server to the Xbox (and vice versa)

Obviously this will take me some time, but if I have a team, I would be happy to partner up to figure this out. Who knows, maybe the Smartglass team has already figured it out

EDIT: All GitHub projects for Smartglass-Core have been archived?

Edited by DeBoy

On 2/17/2023 at 3:39 PM, DeBoy said:

All of you are wrong. Xbox has a Network Transfer protocol through the Games & Apps Management interface. Only works between two Xbox’s on the same network (Supports Xbox One and above). If we are able to figure out:

1) How to advertise a Samba network share as an Xbox on the network

2) Set authentication

2) Figure out file system requirements

3) Initiate a transfer from the server to the Xbox (and vice versa)

Obviously this will take me some time, but if I have a team, I would be happy to partner up to figure this out. Who knows, maybe the Smartglass team has already figured it out

EDIT: All GitHub projects for Smartglass-Core have been archived?

You are aware that series optimised games can only be run from either the internal storage or the proprietary storage card and that even the wired network won't be able to get the throughput that either of the two devices gets (you're also going to cap out at around 500mb/s if the NAS is using SATA SSDs).

The only way I can see in getting around the whole issue with limits on SATA based devices is to use NVMe SSDs in a USB3 enclosure instead (as they would have speeds equal to the internal storage and would be able to get those speeds on USB3) unless M$ decided to neuter USB 3 speeds to stop people from trying that.

• 8 months later...
On 2/18/2023 at 11:40 AM, demonix00 said:

You are aware that series optimised games can only be run from either the internal storage or the proprietary storage card and that even the wired network won't be able to get the throughput that either of the two devices gets (you're also going to cap out at around 500mb/s if the NAS is using SATA SSDs).

The only way I can see in getting around the whole issue with limits on SATA based devices is to use NVMe SSDs in a USB3 enclosure instead (as they would have speeds equal to the internal storage and would be able to get those speeds on USB3) unless M$ decided to neuter USB 3 speeds to stop people from trying that.

I’m not trying to run games from the NAS. I would like them to be in a local holding area. When I need them on my main box, I just transfer them over the network locally.

It doesn’t matter anymore, I achieved this with an old Xbox One. The old Xbox auto-updates all of my games for me; whenever I need to swap games, I just transfer them over the network to the old console. Works way better than I thought it would

On 5/2/2022 at 9:29 AM, DANK_AS_gay said:

If they have a 50TB library, their internet would be a huge issue, and the stupid expansion card is stupid expensive.

If they can afford a NAS that could hold 50tb
the card is cheap in comparision

23 hours ago, BrandonLatzig said:

If they can afford a NAS that could hold 50tb
the card is cheap in comparision

True, it's just expensive for what you're getting. Although the WD one is on sale for 130$ right now, and is actually competitive with an equally priced 1tb nvme.

1 hour ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

True, it's just expensive for what you're getting. Although the WD one is on sale for 130$ right now, and is actually competitive with an equally priced 1tb nvme.

And if I am going to be honest.

Only cod is like

Stupid big, because they need uncompressed textures for guns and models

On 11/3/2023 at 8:55 AM, LeRevenir said:

ROFL, who uses a console for first person shooters?!? 

Did you really just make an account to do this?