First Build critique my part list please?

Budget (including currency):  2000$USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 3D modeling in Blender, Unity, Photoshop, Illustrator, Video editing, Music Writing & Editing, VRChat, & Minecraft

Other details So this is my first ever official build. I have changed out parts on previous PCs and done a lot of weird tech work so this shouldn't be too far out of my range. My old acer laptop isn't keeping up with my workflow and it didn't support VR gaming so I've been looking to upgrade. 

It is very important to me that it can run VRchat and other VR games somewhat comfortably

If it can't then I'll probably hold back from upgrading till I have the budget for it

So with that in mind here's the PC part picker page

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mPPJyK

(I'm hoping that's allowed to be posted here and works fine? If not I can type it out instead)

Swap the board for a MSI B660 Pro if you don't overclock in which case you should get a non K CPU. If you do overclock you need a Z690

Also I'm not sure how it will perform for workloads like this, but you might want to switch to a 6600 XT. It's more powerful (between 3060 and 3060 Ti) and has more VRAM. And it should be much better for VR.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/tWJgXL/xfx-radeon-rx-6600-xt-8-gb-speedster-swft-210-video-card-rx-66xt8dfdq

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/KKbTwP/msi-pro-b660m-a-ddr4-micro-atx-lga1700-motherboard-pro-b660m-a-ddr4

Edit: Ronothan has a good list, check that

Edited by Pixelfie

32 minutes ago, Meowkyuun said:

(I'm hoping that's allowed to be posted here and works fine? If not I can type it out instead)

Typing out the basics is somewhat helpful just to see everything at a quick glance, but the PCPartPicker link is what you want.

OK, on to the actual parts list. There are a number of things I see wrong with it.

1. You went with a cooler that is just not enough for a 12th gen i7. The Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 is currently $41 on Amazon and will do a pretty good job of keeping that chip cool at stock.
  2. A cooler will come with good enough thermal paste. You'd be spending $10 for maybe 1-2C improvements if you're lucky, odds are you won't even notice.
  3. You went with a B660 board and a 12700KF, a pairing that doesn't really make sense. If you don't want to overclock, the 12700(F) is cheaper and performance is near identical at stock, and if you want to overclock you need a Z690 board. You need to change one of them. With how temperamental 12th gen OC is, I'd suggest sticking to a 12700F and a B660 board and saving yourself $40
  4. I would get a better motherboard. The 12700 draws a lot of power, and a lot of the cheaper B660 boards can't handle it. The B660M-A Pro from MSI should do the trick, and it's currently cheaper.
  5. For a system of this budget, I'd want a better case. The P300A is $10 more and a very solid case (though I'd probably wait for it to go on sale, it's IMO worth more like $70 than $80).
  6. A 3060 is only $10 more and a bit better performing. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GD2kJM

This system is slightly cheaper than the original system and a bit faster with higher quality parts. That said, you did say you have a budget of $2000, so you can up that GPU to something more along the lines of a 3080 and still be in budget.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nvn28r

Wow... Thanks for such an in depth reply, you've really saved me a lot of time and money. I'm glad you put together the PCPartPicker list too I wouldn't have known where to find some of those components. I think I'll take your advice and go with the more expensive GPU since all the other changes make it way under budget.

Thank you both for the quick replies. I'm glad you guys explained why things needed changed too not just what to change.

Anything else I should keep in mind to purchase beforehand or for the build itself?

11 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

Add two intake fans if you pick 300A as a case. It only comes with one exhaust fan.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/68WfrH/arctic-p12-563-cfm-120-mm-fan-acfan00120a

At that point i think you should just be getting a more expensive case that has complete airflow already like df700 flux, lancool 215, etc. And imo p300a is only worth ~60$ just for the fact that it dont come with any fans other than a rear fan, maybe if it was priced closer to 60$ itd be a decent buy but even then you can still find cases with complete or nearly complete airflow even in that pricerange

everything said above is true, only thing I have to say is that you shouldn't pay for windows, make an install media and use that instead. I did notice that it was set to no price so that might have been the idea and it was just to show that you were going to use windows 10.

• CPU
    i7 9700k
  • Motherboard
    MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
  • RAM
    2x - G.Skill Trident Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-4000 CL19 Memory
  • GPU
    MSI GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB VENTUS 3X OC Video Card
  • Case
    NZXT H710i
  • Storage
    Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive, Inland 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
  • PSU
    Corsair RMx 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
  • Display(s)
    Asus TUF Gaming VG279QM 27.0" 1920x1080 280 Hz Monitor, Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz Monitor
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken Z73 73.11 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler, Also 10 NZXT Aer F fans,
    ACIDALIE M.2 Heatsink,SSD Cooler for Pcie NVMe or SATA M2 2280 SSD Cooling with Fan, for ssd
  • Keyboard
    Custom GMMK Pro with Kailh Creams and Inukuma Keycaps
  • Mouse
    SteelSeries Aerox 3 Bluetooth Wireless Optical Mouse
  • Sound
    Klipsch - Reference Series 5-1/4" 340-Watt Passive 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers, Denon AVC-3000, with (GDSTIME Rounter TV Box Cooling Fans 480mm) for music, SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless Headset for gaming
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 (unactivated)
  • Laptop
    Apple Macbook Air
  • Phone
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro (Mous Carbon Fiber Case)

12 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

At that point i think you should just be getting a more expensive case that has complete airflow already like df700 flux, lancool 215, etc. And imo p300a is only worth ~60$ just for the fact that it dont come with any fans other than a rear fan, maybe if it was priced closer to 60$ itd be a decent buy but even then you can still find cases with complete or nearly complete airflow even in that pricerange

Good point, I wasn't particularly set on that case just yet anyways so I think I will go with the DF700 flux you suggested. Thanks for the advice!

12 hours ago, Jeppes said:

Add two intake fans if you pick 300A as a case. It only comes with one exhaust fan.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/68WfrH/arctic-p12-563-cfm-120-mm-fan-acfan00120a

I'll be going with Somerandomtechyboy's advice this time around though I will be sure to keep that in mind for future builds! Thanks for the advice!

12 hours ago, xxx.sps said:

everything said above is true, only thing I have to say is that you shouldn't pay for windows, make an install media and use that instead. I did notice that it was set to no price so that might have been the idea and it was just to show that you were going to use windows 10.

Yep! That's what I had thought. I had heard there are ways to get windows for free legally and figured I'd look more into that rather than just purchasing one. Thanks for confirming though that'll be a great help

So with that in mind here's the current build; https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DTmFsL

Thank you all so much for the advice! I'm feeling a lot more confident in this build and I can't wait to get on it!

Is there anything else I should consider changing? And this is VR ready?

7 hours ago, Meowkyuun said:

Good point, I wasn't particularly set on that case just yet anyways so I think I will go with the DF700 flux you suggested. Thanks for the advice!

I'll be going with Somerandomtechyboy's advice this time around though I will be sure to keep that in mind for future builds! Thanks for the advice!

Yep! That's what I had thought. I had heard there are ways to get windows for free legally and figured I'd look more into that rather than just purchasing one. Thanks for confirming though that'll be a great help

So with that in mind here's the current build; https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DTmFsL

Thank you all so much for the advice! I'm feeling a lot more confident in this build and I can't wait to get on it!

Is there anything else I should consider changing? And this is VR ready?

I would think it is probably is VR ready and I don't think I would change a thing. Nice parts list.

• CPU
    i7 9700k
  • Motherboard
    MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
  • RAM
    2x - G.Skill Trident Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-4000 CL19 Memory
  • GPU
    MSI GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB VENTUS 3X OC Video Card
  • Case
    NZXT H710i
  • Storage
    Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive, Inland 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
  • PSU
    Corsair RMx 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
  • Display(s)
    Asus TUF Gaming VG279QM 27.0" 1920x1080 280 Hz Monitor, Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz Monitor
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken Z73 73.11 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler, Also 10 NZXT Aer F fans,
    ACIDALIE M.2 Heatsink,SSD Cooler for Pcie NVMe or SATA M2 2280 SSD Cooling with Fan, for ssd
  • Keyboard
    Custom GMMK Pro with Kailh Creams and Inukuma Keycaps
  • Mouse
    SteelSeries Aerox 3 Bluetooth Wireless Optical Mouse
  • Sound
    Klipsch - Reference Series 5-1/4" 340-Watt Passive 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers, Denon AVC-3000, with (GDSTIME Rounter TV Box Cooling Fans 480mm) for music, SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless Headset for gaming
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 (unactivated)
  • Laptop
    Apple Macbook Air
  • Phone
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro (Mous Carbon Fiber Case)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XGV28r
non overclockable cpu and mbd
decent cooler
4x16 3200 cl16 memory (you can downgrade to 4x8 3200 cl16 aswell, 64gb of ram is super overkill)
better m.2 drive for less
3070ti (good gpu, could upgrade to 3080 if you can find one for a decent price)
decent case
better specced psu
extra fans for the case

On 5/3/2022 at 3:15 PM, Awesomon2234 said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XGV28r
non overclockable cpu and mbd
decent cooler
4x16 3200 cl16 memory (you can downgrade to 4x8 3200 cl16 aswell, 64gb of ram is super overkill)
better m.2 drive for less
3070ti (good gpu, could upgrade to 3080 if you can find one for a decent price)
decent case
better specced psu
extra fans for the case

Uhh I don't intend to offend but just giving me a list doesn't help when I've already got one to put it up to, an explanation for each choice would go much further for me cause I'm still trying to figure things out as is..

8 hours ago, Meowkyuun said:

Uhh I don't intend to offend but just giving me a list doesn't help when I've already got one to put it up to, an explanation for each choice would go much further for me cause I'm still trying to figure things out as is..

aight so ill try my best here
CPU the only difference between this one and the one you had is it isnt overclockable meaning a. its cheaper and b. overclocking is when you push the parts past their factory speeds the one you had was overclockable (if it has a K in the name its overclockable) but the motherboard wasnt an overclockable board, you need a Z690 board to overclock a cpu

RAM 3200 speed ram is a good speed, CL or cas latency plays a good part in speed of ram aswell less CL the better. (for example a 3200 cl16 kit will perform about the same as a 3600 cl18 kit) 16gb of ram is good for gaming, 32gb is a little overkill for just gaming but closer to what you want for videoediting blender work etc. 64gb is WAYY overkill which is how much i gave you, hence why i said you could downgrade to 4x8gb.

SSD the Crutial P2 is the lesser version of the Crutial P5 and for $10 more its way worth it, its way faster than the P2

GPU Nvidia 2000 series is decent but cant compete with 3000 series, 3070ti is one of the best GPU's on the market rn, the only things that are better are 3080 series, 3090 series, RX 6900, and rumoured 4000 series which will be released later this year and are rumoued to be way better than 3000 series

The case you chose doesnt have great airflow, it isnt mesh and the side panel is acrylic meaning it will get super dirty quickly. the one i chose is a cheap mesh case with tempered glass side panel. its also ATX case for the ATX motherboard i chose for you. M Atx is ok for most applications especially if you are on a budget but if you can afford it get ATX. unless you specifically like small form factor

The psu you specced isnt bad just overspecced and more money than you need to spend, for a build like this 750w is enough, corsair is good but overpriced the MSI one i specced out is A tier on PSU cultists list (List showing most psu's and how good they are https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/) }

Case only had 1 fan so i got you 3 rgb fans to fill the other slots
The CPU cooler is one of the best air coolers on the market, it comes in several colors and there is an ARGB version, it also comes with thermal paste already so you dont need to get it seperatly

i must've been tired when i wrote that original message as i usually explain in at least a little more detail, no offense taken. overall this pc is way better than the one you specced

11 hours ago, Awesomon2234 said:

aight so ill try my best here
CPU the only difference between this one and the one you had is it isnt overclockable meaning a. its cheaper and b. overclocking is when you push the parts past their factory speeds the one you had was overclockable (if it has a K in the name its overclockable) but the motherboard wasnt an overclockable board, you need a Z690 board to overclock a cpu

RAM 3200 speed ram is a good speed, CL or cas latency plays a good part in speed of ram aswell less CL the better. (for example a 3200 cl16 kit will perform about the same as a 3600 cl18 kit) 16gb of ram is good for gaming, 32gb is a little overkill for just gaming but closer to what you want for videoediting blender work etc. 64gb is WAYY overkill which is how much i gave you, hence why i said you could downgrade to 4x8gb.

SSD the Crutial P2 is the lesser version of the Crutial P5 and for $10 more its way worth it, its way faster than the P2

GPU Nvidia 2000 series is decent but cant compete with 3000 series, 3070ti is one of the best GPU's on the market rn, the only things that are better are 3080 series, 3090 series, RX 6900, and rumoured 4000 series which will be released later this year and are rumoued to be way better than 3000 series

The case you chose doesnt have great airflow, it isnt mesh and the side panel is acrylic meaning it will get super dirty quickly. the one i chose is a cheap mesh case with tempered glass side panel. its also ATX case for the ATX motherboard i chose for you. M Atx is ok for most applications especially if you are on a budget but if you can afford it get ATX. unless you specifically like small form factor

The psu you specced isnt bad just overspecced and more money than you need to spend, for a build like this 750w is enough, corsair is good but overpriced the MSI one i specced out is A tier on PSU cultists list (List showing most psu's and how good they are https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/) }

Case only had 1 fan so i got you 3 rgb fans to fill the other slots
The CPU cooler is one of the best air coolers on the market, it comes in several colors and there is an ARGB version, it also comes with thermal paste already so you dont need to get it seperatly

i must've been tired when i wrote that original message as i usually explain in at least a little more detail, no offense taken. overall this pc is way better than the one you specced

Oh okay thank you, that was a very quick and thorough response. Currently I'm in a bit of a tough spot financially so I'm kind of considering the cheaper option, though if it's that much of a performance difference I might save up a bit for that more expensive system. I'll check some benchmarks online and weigh it out. Thanks for your input though.

Edit: I just checked the lists again, I have no idea where I got the idea that one was that much more expensive than the other.. so I guess it's just a matter of deciding which would work better for me