Questions about upgrading from Win7 to Win10

Gravemind

1. I know there's an option to keep all your programs and data, but how much will really be saved? Will things like Steam or iTunes or even Speccy still be in the same places and just work? (Barring any that don't work across different OS's of course.) What about my folders on the Desktop and things like that?

2. Aside from the obvious risks of something simply not going right, will Win10 just work the same way it would if I did a totally clean install?

I'm gonna make backups anyways but it'd be nice to know ahead of time what I can expect.

I won't know you're talking to me unless you reply/quote me.

3 minutes ago, Gravemind said:

I know there's an option to keep all your programs and data, but how much will really be saved?

When the upgrade was originally offered, pretty much all of it. However, since we're so far outside the upgrade window you really don't want to do the in place upgrade, enough has changed to the point I don't trust that the OS wouldn't brick itself. 

4 minutes ago, Gravemind said:

Aside from the obvious risks of something simply not going right, will Win10 just work the same way it would if I did a totally clean install?

Theoretically yes, but again, the Windows 10 of 2015 is not the same Windows 10 of 2022, and I would be very skeptical of the in place upgrade at this point. If you're already doing a backup, you really should just do a clean install.

1. I have done many a upgrade of things like pos systems from 7 to 10 and it keeps basically everything, like apps and settings(well except stuff like default browser).

2. Not really, it generally goes well, but there are some issues, so Id make sure to have a backup of the windows 7 insteall just in case. 

4 minutes ago, Gravemind said:

1. I know there's an option to keep all your programs and data

pretty sure that ship has sailed long ago, and reinstall is your only option.

if it still works.. the process is/was surprisingly seamless, at a previous job i've actually caught a colleague that cut curners on devices that *should* have been reinstalled but werent. basicly the only way we could tell was because it did very strange things to the default color scheme, and some machines had a very broken windows 7 install, which resulted in a very broken windows 10 install.

So we redeploy desktops from 7 to 10 daily and we work with teachers/admins who are not tech savvy. Not much really changes from 7 to 10 in terms of file and folder operation, everything just gets a bit cleaner and structured for the most part.

If you do backups then I would just reinstall programs that you use, you can also do mildly compressed game backups through steam so you don't have to redownload the games. Everything else that works on 7 will work on 10, and you can also run it as 7 through compatibility settings.

Level 2 Tech Support for a Corporation servicing over 12,000 users and devices, AMA

Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 5800x3D | GPU: Sapphire 6900 XT Nitro+ SE | Mobo: Asus x570 TUF | RAM: 32GB CL15 3600 | PSU: EVGA 850 GA | Case: Corsair 450D | Storage: Several | Cooling: Brown | Thermal Paste: Yes

Laptop - Dell G15 | i7-11800H | RTX 3060 | 16GB CL22 3200

Plex - Lenovo M93p Tiny | Ubuntu | Intel 4570T | 8GB RAM | 2x 8TB WD RED Plus 

Got 2 people saying "You'll be fine" and 2 people saying "Don't do it"

😕

I won't know you're talking to me unless you reply/quote me.

9 minutes ago, Gravemind said:

Got 2 people saying "You'll be fine" and 2 people saying "Don't do it"

😕

If you have your crucial data backed up there's no reason not to try. Worst case is you spend some extra time reinstalling programs.

Level 2 Tech Support for a Corporation servicing over 12,000 users and devices, AMA

Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 5800x3D | GPU: Sapphire 6900 XT Nitro+ SE | Mobo: Asus x570 TUF | RAM: 32GB CL15 3600 | PSU: EVGA 850 GA | Case: Corsair 450D | Storage: Several | Cooling: Brown | Thermal Paste: Yes

Laptop - Dell G15 | i7-11800H | RTX 3060 | 16GB CL22 3200

Plex - Lenovo M93p Tiny | Ubuntu | Intel 4570T | 8GB RAM | 2x 8TB WD RED Plus 

I'd also vote for go for it. I've upgraded systems long after the official offer was over. Can't say I've done any recently though.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I'm very much in favor of wiping the drive. Just the idea of such an old system, the years of crap buildup.. I don't care even if the upgrade did succeed, the whole idea feels wrong. 

That system deserves a wipe and clean install.