Best SSD upgrade for ps5

irishbeast
Go to solution Solved by JR1911,

I got an SN850 (2Tb) too and it has worked flawlessly so far, had it for about 6 months. It's the drive Mark Cerny got on his PS5 too so I figured it was a safe bet :). 

Also got a be quiet MC1 cooler for it (don't buy the MC1 Pro as that one won't fit).

Saw an LTT video about upgrading storage which got my attention as I recently bought a PS5. Was practically full in a day and packed in last weekend. 

I must say hats off to Sony for sorting the refund so quick. Basically the HDMI stopped working. I sent it back (free of charge end of last week) and received a new console today (possibly a reburb but don't care) today - Amazing service and credit where its due.

That's not the point of this thread though. I want to upgrade the storage so that I can install more ps5 games. I have a few SSD drives (m2 and regular) but told they will only work on ps4 games.

I really want another 1TB at least, maybe 2 depending on cost and wondered if anyone had some good  suggestions? Some say "ps5 compatible" but I want one that is fast enough to run ps5 games from like the drive currently in the digital version does. Can anyone make good suggestions/ recommendations or generally give some good advice about the specific type I need?

Don't want to spent huge money but maybe £120 ( $150 USB). definitely increase the budget but don't want the extra storage costing the same as the console did!

Thanks

before you go onto a forum and ask for advice how about you try the good ole youtube. 😉

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

You mean the biggest sales platform known to man. Brilliant idea! Never thought of that!

Anyone got useful input from experience?

The PS5 requires that you use a Gen 4 SSD, and it recommends that the SSD be at least 5GB/s read and write (whether it actually needs that amount of speed currently is debatable though). This does limit the amount of drives you can use in that system pretty dramatically to only high end drives like the Samsung 980 Pro, WD SN850, Sabrent Rocket 4 plus, Crucial P5 Plus, etc. For your budget, you're gonna be limited to 1TB SSDs. 

18 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The PS5 requires that you use a Gen 4 SSD, and it recommends that the SSD be at least 5GB/s read and write (whether it actually needs that amount of speed currently is debatable though). This does limit the amount of drives you can use in that system pretty dramatically to only high end drives like the Samsung 980 Pro, WD SN850, Sabrent Rocket 4 plus, Crucial P5 Plus, etc. For your budget, you're gonna be limited to 1TB SSDs. 

Thanks for that. Very helpful

Will have a look now. BUdget is not set my any menas. Just indicative really. From my PC gaming experience even 2TB doesn't go that far but I'mnot really that hardcore with games. I'm just a fool who spends too much money in tech! The 1TB in the PS5 gets eaten up very quickly and I don't want to be deleting and re-downlaoding games. Its ok when I am at my place on a 500mg connection. When I'm at the girlfriends its basically 2 cups connected by a piece of string! 🙂

I wound up getting the SN850 after a fair amount of research. There's a lot of great drives available, I know people like the 980 PRO as well, but the SN850 seemed the most consistent and, at the time, was about $40 cheaper. 

I got an SN850 (2Tb) too and it has worked flawlessly so far, had it for about 6 months. It's the drive Mark Cerny got on his PS5 too so I figured it was a safe bet :). 

Also got a be quiet MC1 cooler for it (don't buy the MC1 Pro as that one won't fit).

Cheers all. Just ordered the 1TB version. 27% off on amazon.co.uk.

Not too shabby!