DAC / AMP that have EQ?

CephDigital

Hi there! 

Currently have an iFi Zen stack (DAC V2 + CAN) paired with the Monolith M1570. These sound best with Oratory1990's EQ profile but I can't apply EQ to all the devices I connect the stack to (PS5, work laptop etc.) so is there anything I can add to my stack to add EQ or any DACs or amps that add manual EQ? 

Main PC: Corsair 900D | ProArt Z690-Creator | Intel 13900K | RTX 4090 | Trident Z5 (2x32GB) | 1TB 980 Pro, 2TB Sabrent Rocket 4+, 2TB 980 Pro, 1TB Sabrent Rocket | HX1200i

Capture PC: Meshify XL | Designare TRX40 | AMD 3960X | 2xRTX 4070 TI | Trident Z (4x16GB) | 2TB 970 Evo Plus, 1TB 970 Evo Plus | Dual HDMI 4K Plus LT, 2xElgato 4K 60 Pro, HX850

Media / Render PC: Corsair 900D (shared) | ASRock X399M | AMD 2970WX | RTX 4070 TI | Trident Z (2x16GB) | 2TB Samsung 970 Evo | 2xElgato HD60 Pro | HX750
Full Room Watercooling: EK X3 400 | EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 | 4xHardware Labs 560GTX | 16xSilentWings 4 Pro  | EVGA 450 B3

Peripherals: Logitech G502 X |  Wooting 60HE | Xbox Elite Controller Series 2 | Logitech G502 Wireless | Logitech MX Keys Mechanical

Displays: Asus XG35VQ | 2xLG 24UD58-B | LG 65UH6030 | Asus VH242H | BenQ GW2480 | HP 22CWA | Kenowa CNC-1080P | Asus VC39H

Audio Interfaces : RME Fireface UFX+, Scarlett 18i20, RME HDSPe RayDAT, RME HDSPe MADI FX, RME ADI-648, RME ADI-192 DD

Audio Playback: 2xYamaha HS5 & Yamaha HS8s | Sennheiser HD820, Sennheiser IE 500 Pro, Ultimate Ears RR CIEMs

21 minutes ago, Ninbura said:

Holy crap that is big. I was thinking more along the lines of a digitally controlled one so that it'd be a reasonable size.

23 hours ago, CephDigital said:

Holy crap that is big. I was thinking more along the lines of a digitally controlled one so that it'd be a reasonable size.

Yeah a lot of audio gear is built to be rack mounted, I'd throw something like this under the desk.

Main PC: Corsair 900D | ProArt Z690-Creator | Intel 13900K | RTX 4090 | Trident Z5 (2x32GB) | 1TB 980 Pro, 2TB Sabrent Rocket 4+, 2TB 980 Pro, 1TB Sabrent Rocket | HX1200i

Capture PC: Meshify XL | Designare TRX40 | AMD 3960X | 2xRTX 4070 TI | Trident Z (4x16GB) | 2TB 970 Evo Plus, 1TB 970 Evo Plus | Dual HDMI 4K Plus LT, 2xElgato 4K 60 Pro, HX850

Media / Render PC: Corsair 900D (shared) | ASRock X399M | AMD 2970WX | RTX 4070 TI | Trident Z (2x16GB) | 2TB Samsung 970 Evo | 2xElgato HD60 Pro | HX750
Full Room Watercooling: EK X3 400 | EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 | 4xHardware Labs 560GTX | 16xSilentWings 4 Pro  | EVGA 450 B3

Peripherals: Logitech G502 X |  Wooting 60HE | Xbox Elite Controller Series 2 | Logitech G502 Wireless | Logitech MX Keys Mechanical

Displays: Asus XG35VQ | 2xLG 24UD58-B | LG 65UH6030 | Asus VH242H | BenQ GW2480 | HP 22CWA | Kenowa CNC-1080P | Asus VC39H

Audio Interfaces : RME Fireface UFX+, Scarlett 18i20, RME HDSPe RayDAT, RME HDSPe MADI FX, RME ADI-648, RME ADI-192 DD

Audio Playback: 2xYamaha HS5 & Yamaha HS8s | Sennheiser HD820, Sennheiser IE 500 Pro, Ultimate Ears RR CIEMs

MiniDSP is an option. Works well enough, though it isn't the lowest noise thing out there. XTA has some very nice hardware that can do it too and will likely be lower noise, but it's also rackmount and is pretty spendy (> $2k). You could also do it using Soundweb London boxes, but you run into the same problem with cost and form factor, plus you add fan noise to your problem. 

Unfortunately, doing it in software (DSP) takes some heavy-lifting, and that limits how cheap it is to implement. It's better than trying to do it with hardware, as a decent stereo parametric EQ is going to set you back many hundreds of dollars and won't be small.

I'm working on a digitally controlled analog parametric EQ project, but I won't realistically have that done for another year given the amount of real work I have to get done, and we're coming up on the lowered-productivity (sailing) season. 

Generally you'd want to avoid hardware EQ unless you NEED to use it. Especially if you aren't willing to spend several grand on pro level gear.

For an all in one with EQ, you'd want to look at the RME ADI-2. That has a lot of DSP features built in including parametric EQ.

If wanting to use a different DAC, one of the MiniDSP products would work

Video reviews: https://youtube.com/goldensound Written reviews and measurements: https://goldensound.audio
Current Main Setup: Roon -> HQPlayer -> Intel NUC -> Intona 7055-C Isolator -> Holo Audio May KTE DAC-> Holo Serene KTE preamp -> Benchmark AHB2 / Woo WA33
Most used headphones: Hifiman Susvara, Abyss 1266 Phi TC, Sennheiser HD800-S

On 4/27/2022 at 6:37 AM, CephDigital said:

Hi there! 

Currently have an iFi Zen stack (DAC V2 + CAN) paired with the Monolith M1570. These sound best with Oratory1990's EQ profile but I can't apply EQ to all the devices I connect the stack to (PS5, work laptop etc.) so is there anything I can add to my stack to add EQ or any DACs or amps that add manual EQ? 

Honestly, it will be cheaper to change the headphones you use than it will be to implement hardware EQ

On 4/29/2022 at 11:37 AM, GoldenOne said:

Generally you'd want to avoid hardware EQ unless you NEED to use it. Especially if you aren't willing to spend several grand on pro level gear.

For an all in one with EQ, you'd want to look at the RME ADI-2. That has a lot of DSP features built in including parametric EQ.

If wanting to use a different DAC, one of the MiniDSP products would work

RME's Babyface Pro is cheaper than their ADI-2 and has DSP with EQ. It's only a 3-band EQ per-channel, but with a loopback cable on the ADAT port you can apply an EQ to the input and output giving you 9 bands. Technically if you keep looping the signal back you can have up to 27 bands by the time it comes out of the phones output. The delay on physical loopback with RME interfaces is so low that it's imperceivable.

The Babyface Pro is also more capable in terms of routing, IO, when comparted to the ADI-2. Of course the ADI-2 has the highest end phone output, but for OP's headphones of choice the output on the Babyface should be plenty. 

Almost all my audio gear is RME (MADI FX, UFX+, RayDAT, ADI-192 DD, ADI-648) and I highly recommend it. Didn't even think to suggest it as price for their cheapest interface with DSP is outrageously expensive for most people, but I guess that's what you're saying.

• 1 year later...

A little late, but since I'm getting this question quite a lot recently: The Qudelix 5K is the most affordable DAC/amp with integrated DSP (EQ) that I know of. It sells for around 100 bucks, has enough power for most headphones and most importantly, has 20 bands of parametric EQ available.

You'll mostly find me on Reddit

3 hours ago, oratory1990 said:

A little late, but since I'm getting this question quite a lot recently: The Qudelix 5K is the most affordable DAC/amp with integrated DSP (EQ) that I know of. It sells for around 100 bucks, has enough power for most headphones and most importantly, has 20 bands of parametric EQ available.

Schiit Audio also makes the Loki Mini+ for tone controls (only 4 knobs though).

Surprised no one mentioned this option.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

Schiit has some options if your in the states

Loki Mini+

Lokius

Loki Max

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

• 2 months later...
On 8/24/2023 at 6:36 PM, saintlouisbagels said:

Schiit Audio also makes the Loki Mini+ for tone controls (only 4 knobs though).

Surprised no one mentioned this option.

The Loki is not a parametric EQ, it has fixed frequency and q-factor parameters, you can only change the gain.  

That's nice to do some broad changes, but insufficient to tackle the idiosyncracies of your headphone

You'll mostly find me on Reddit

On 8/24/2023 at 1:41 PM, oratory1990 said:

Thought this was a new thread for a moment but this is still the correct answer, nuts just how brilliant that little thing really is. Would recommend it over pretty much all desktop dac/ amps in similar budget, plus it has the option of bluetooth and a great companion app to go with it