is hotas an advantage

torogitar

I just wondered if having a hotas setup will be an advantage. from what I have seen from the dog fighting module videos, it looks like having a mouse would be more accurate than having a hotas.

do you agree?

Cpu: FX8350 MoboGigabyte GA.990FXA-UD3  GPU: EVGA GTX770 2GB  RAM: 8GB Crucial ballistix tactical tracer  STORAGE: Crucial M500 240GB /seagate barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair RM750  CASE: Xigmatek Talon  COOLING: Corsair H100i KEYBOARD: Quickfire TK KEYPAD: Razer Nostromo MOUSE: Razer Naga 2012  HEADSET: Tritton pro+

nope. if you have to slide your mouse to make turns. nope. flight stick all the way.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

I would say that the advantage depends on the type of flight and the level you want to take it to.

if you are just flying around, and not to serious, any of the control surfaces, keyboard/mouse, game pad, joystick, or hotas would be fine

but the further up and the more customisation and control you want, the more likely a hotas will be the way to go.

Controlers will be fine, but against truely high en pilots you just won't have the options they will for control.

It's going to totally depend on the individual. When it comes to peripherals it really is all about what works for you personally.

So if they use the freelancer controls for keyboard/mouse it will be much easier to play because of mouse steering and what i have seen so far thats the way they go.

Its much more accurate. ;)

So if they use the freelancer controls for keyboard/mouse it will be much easier to play because of mouse steering and what i have seen so far thats the way they go.

Its much more accurate. ;)

that is also what i thought

Cpu: FX8350 MoboGigabyte GA.990FXA-UD3  GPU: EVGA GTX770 2GB  RAM: 8GB Crucial ballistix tactical tracer  STORAGE: Crucial M500 240GB /seagate barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair RM750  CASE: Xigmatek Talon  COOLING: Corsair H100i KEYBOARD: Quickfire TK KEYPAD: Razer Nostromo MOUSE: Razer Naga 2012  HEADSET: Tritton pro+

Over KB/M it probably will be. If you play lots of flight sims, and have ever tried to use the KB/M then you will know what I mean.

Over gamepad it probably will be too. Especially for thrust.

Over KB/M it probably will be. If you play lots of flight sims, and have ever tried to use the KB/M then you will know what I mean.

but in games like war thunder in arcade, kb/m is way more precise

but in games like war thunder in arcade, kb/m is way more precise

True, even in Realistic mode it's probably better, though I haven't tried it with a KB/M, all I can tell you is that with my HOTAS I sucked, though I'm used to flying Lear Jets with AutoPilot, and just doing the occasional holding turn...

I have a cheap joystick, i think its whatever you prefer...u have all the macro keys u could possibly want on Hotas or a keyboard, whats the difference?

"sigh" man think a little guys.
How often do you use a Joystick? it´s simple, you have not getting used to a Joystick.
Using a Joystick for 30 min and expect to master it is not going to happen, practice!!!!! give it a month at least and se how things go.

Also. Adjusting! just like DPI on a mouse Joysticks have there sensitivity and Deadzone so you´ll have to poke around with that to fit your liking better, not just plug it in and think its perfect out of the box. maybe even reassign some Buttons can help!

Unlike a Mouse and Keyboard, Joysticks require a little more tinkering.

And as i said above, Give it a month, not an hour!

Edit: also just like mouse, not all Joystick will be perfect for your hand. trust me, if you can go down to a store and test them then give them a swing.

I'm tempted to get a Hotas set up for this but i will wait until release, see how much combat i will actually be interested in getting involved in.  Hotas looks awesome though, and the idea of having a real switch to flick to activate weapon groups or ship functions is just pure fun!

I picked up a X52 Pro from Amazon.  i couldn't justify spending any more on a nicer HOTAS...  I'm currently playing Elite Dangerous (Alpha) and I like having the seaperate Thruster contorls.  I'm really looking forward to the combat arena :)

CPU AMD Ryzen 2700 X / Motherboard  / RAM 4 x 4GB  / GPU Zotac 1080Ti Amp Edition / Case Fractal Design Meshify C / Storage Samsung 850 PRO / 1TB WD Black & 2TB WD Green / PSU / Cooling Noctua / Keyboard Ducky Shine 2 / Mouse Logitech G700 / Sound O2 Amp/DAC & Audioengine A5+ speakers

I picked up a X52 Pro from Amazon.  i couldn't justify spending any more on a nicer HOTAS...  I'm currently playing Elite Dangerous (Alpha) and I like having the seaperate Thruster contorls.  I'm really looking forward to the combat arena :)

So you're recommend that stick? I'm in the market for one now, trying to see what looks the best.

[spoiler = "My Computer Stuff"]

My ITX:

240 Air ; Z87I-Deluxe ; 4770K ; H100i ; G1 GTX 980TI ; Vengeance Pro 2400MHz (2x8GB) ; 3x 840 EVO (250GB) ; 2x WD Red Pro (4TB) ; RM650 ; 3x Dell U2414H ; G710+ ; G700s ; O2 + ODAC + Q701 ; Yamaha HTR-3066 + 5.1 Pioneer.

Things I Need To Get Off My Shelf:

250D ; 380T ; 800D ; C70 ; i7 920 ; i5 4670K ; Maximus Hero VI ; G.Skill 2133MHz (4x4GB) ; Crucial 2133MHz (2x4GB) ; Patriot 1600MHz (4x4GB) ; HX750 ; CX650M ; 2x WD Red (3TB) ; 5x 840 EVO (250GB) ; H60H100iH100i ; H100i ; VS247H-P ; K70 Reds ; K70 Blues ; K70 RGB Browns ; HD650.

@AllstaRawR - I just got it so I don't have too much time with it.  I like it so far but I thought the actual joy stick would be a bit stiffer.  I have to see if there is a way to adjust the tension.  This is my 1st HOTAS and I do like the feel of having the joystick and seperate thrust/gas.  Plus there are enough buttons for me to map key functions.

CPU AMD Ryzen 2700 X / Motherboard  / RAM 4 x 4GB  / GPU Zotac 1080Ti Amp Edition / Case Fractal Design Meshify C / Storage Samsung 850 PRO / 1TB WD Black & 2TB WD Green / PSU / Cooling Noctua / Keyboard Ducky Shine 2 / Mouse Logitech G700 / Sound O2 Amp/DAC & Audioengine A5+ speakers

remember that stomp pad thing (i cant remember what it was called) that linus made a vid about?  It was like a 4 way button for your feet.  It would be excellent to get a HOTAS and have that for extra control of thrusters/rudder. 

:ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r: They're more like guide lines than actual rules. :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

remember that stomp pad thing (i cant remember what it was called) that linus made a vid about?  It was like a 4 way button for your feet.  It would be excellent to get a HOTAS and have that for extra control of thrusters/rudder. 

it is called the stinky footboard. that has keyboard switches for buttons so it would be full rudder or no rudder. but you could get pedals made for flight sims.

it is called the stinky footboard. that has keyboard switches for buttons so it would be full rudder or no rudder. but you could get pedals made for flight sims.

You normally use twist for rudder (On your joystick), unless you have a fortune. But rudder would be useless in space.

You normally use twist for rudder (On your joystick), unless you have a fortune. But rudder would be useless in space.

rudder as on planes is useless, but yaw could be very crucial.

rudder as on planes is useless, but yaw could be very crucial.

Yes this is what im talking about.  Use the Stinky for additional Thruster control.  Like strafe up/ down/ left/ right.  Also twist of joystick could be yaw left /right

:ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r: They're more like guide lines than actual rules. :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Yes this is what im talking about.  Use the Stinky for additional Thruster control.  Like strafe up/ down/ left/ right.  Also twist of joystick could be yaw left /right

ahh. that is a good idea. because that was one of my questions. if you need a dual joystick setup, but with your idea I could have a hotas setup with strafe side to side, and up and down.

Intel i7-7770K | Asus Maximus X Hero  | EVGA GTX980 SuperClocked | 16GB Memory| Samsung 960 EVO M.2 | Corsair RM 750W | Dell 27" S2716DG main display | Dual Dell ST2320L 23" Secondary displays | Windows 10

Logitech G710+ Keyboard | Logitech G502 mouse | Kingston HyperX Cloud headset | Corsair H100i 

I think that will be my choice. on frys.com it is only 99 dollars btw