Easiest Lga115x cpu cooler to install

I need to know what the easiest to install Lga 115x series cpu cooler is because I need a better cooler than the stock cooler and don't have much experience with building pc's especially cpu coolers

Theyre basically all the same really! Same concept. What CPU? Because a better question is "which one is best for my CPU?" and not so much "Which is the easiest to install?"

Noctua's Secufirm mounting system is pretty great. Scythe's mounting hardware is only slightly worse but their stuff is a lot better value than Noctua's (the Scythe Fuma 2 performs 95% as well as the NH-D15 but for just over half the price).

8 minutes ago, IAmNik said:

Theyre basically all the same really!

You've never installed an original Hyper 212 or a Dark Rock 2 compared to an actually well designed mounting system. Those are a PITA to install (takes me 20 minutes to install compared to 5 minutes for something Noctua, Scythe, or a waterblock)

10 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

You've never installed an original Hyper 212 compared to an actually well designed mounting system. Those are a PITA to install (takes me 20 minutes to install compared to 5 minutes for something Noctua, Scythe, or a waterblock)

You're right, I havent. The logic and basics are still the same tho on almost every cooler. Air or AIO. given the exception of hose routing and rad mounting lol its the same 4 holes

Note* I assemble and install accessories on ATVs and UTVs for a living so I may just be more used  to having to work around little obstacles on jobs but basically. still same lol

Just now, IAmNik said:

You're right, I havent. The logic and basics are still the same tho on almost every cooler. Air or AIO. given the exception of hose routing and rad mounting lol its the same 4 holes

Not really. Yeah there are 4 holes, but the way the holes are used can be completely different. Take something like the Dark Rock Pro 2 (one of the most annoying coolers to install ever), you install the backplate with 4 studs on it, you put the cooler on it, and use 4 nuts to tighten the cooler onto the CPU socket. You don't use any screw drivers and you pretty much have to go about it with a pair of needle nose pliers to get it installed. Yeah the theory of using the same 4 holes, but the implementation of it is so bad that on some motherboards it's not possible to install on boards with giant VRM heatsinks.

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Not really. Yeah there are 4 holes, but the way the holes are used can be completely different. Take something like the Dark Rock Pro 2 (one of the most annoying coolers to install ever), you install the backplate with 4 studs on it, you put the cooler on it, and use 4 nuts to tighten the cooler onto the CPU socket. You don't use any screw drivers and you pretty much have to go about it with a pair of needle nose pliers to get it installed. Yeah the theory of using the same 4 holes, but the implementation of it is so bad that on some motherboards it's not possible to install on boards with giant VRM heatsinks.

Now that's definitely a design flaw. Theres not a phillips head on the thumb screws?! 🤣 jesus christ. Surely that's been fixed by now. Prolly take less time to just cut a slit in em and use a flathead 

Just now, IAmNik said:

Now that's definitely a design flaw. Theres not a phillips head on the thumb screws?! 🤣 jesus christ. Surely that's been fixed by now. Prolly take less just cut a slit in em and use a flathead 

They have changed it now, yes, the Dark Rock Pro 4 is fine to install (not a complete and utter nightmare like the Pro 2)

But no, you can't do that, there's no way to access those screws with a screw driver. 

Spoiler

bq_drpro2_install5.jpg

5 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

They have changed it now, yes, the Dark Rock Pro 4 is fine to install (not a complete and utter nightmare like the Pro 2)

But no, you can't do that, there's no way to access those screws with a screw driver. 

Reveal hidden contents

bq_drpro2_install5.jpg

LOL that's one of the biggest "F You" moments I've ever seen from a company 😂🤣  it's almost comical. It doesnt make sense and I've seen some pretty badly designed products before

9 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Dark Rock Pro 4 is a breeze compared to a hyper 212, those are really a PITA. Noctua coolers hard to come by where I'm at, so never got to try one. Scythe is ok, not a PITA but not a breeze either

17 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

That's some truly dumb engineering right there, glad be quiet decided to basically rip off Noctua's Secufirm.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 9 3950X Processor (Stock, -0.1V offset)  /// Motherboard: Asus Pro WS X570-Ace /// CPU Cooler: Deepcool GamerStorm Castle 360 RGB V2 /// GPU: Gigabyte AORUS GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ 8G /// RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 128GB (4x32GB) 3200Mhz CL16 /// Chassis: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C Blackout TG /// PSU: Corsair RM850i /// Storage: 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe (boot) + 1TB WD Black SN750 NVMe (Working Drive) + 2x 1TB Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SATA SSD RAID0 (Game Library) + 2TB Seagate BarraCuda (Backup) /// OS: Windows 10 Pro

Peripherals (Main Rig): Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 + Logitech G903 Lightspeed /// Keyboard: Keychron Q1 ANSI - JWK Lavender Linear Switches (TX Switch Film, Krytox 205g0), Durock V2 Stabilisers, Polycarbonate Plate, Tape Mod, GMK Blue Samurai + Keychron K4 V2 Hotswap RGB Aluminum Frame - Gateron Milky Black (Deskeys Switch Film, Krytox 205g0), Foam Mod, Tape Mod, GMK Rainy Day PBT Clones /// Tablet: Wacom Intuos M BT /// Monitor: 4x LG 27UL500-W (4K IPS Freesync) /// DAC: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 /// Speakers: Logitech Z625 /// Mic: Focusrite CM25 MkII /// Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, ATH-LS70iS IEMs /// Racing Wheel: Logitech G920 Driving Force with Shifter /// Eye Tracker: Steelseries Sentry  /// External Drives: 500GB Samsung T5 SSD (Working Drive)

Home Server - NASty: CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700x Processor /// Motherboard: Asus PRIME X470-Pro  /// CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 /// GPU: Gigabyte GeForce® GT 1030 OC 2G /// RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 64GB (4x16GB) 3200Mhz CL16 /// Chassis: Fractal Design Define R5 Window /// PSU: Corsair RM750x /// Storage: LSI SAS 9211-8i (IT Mode) + 10x 4TB Seagate Exos Enterprise Drive /// OS: UNRaid

Tester Rig: CPU: AMD Athlon™ 200GE Processor /// Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero WIFI  /// CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism RGB /// GPU: Palit GeForce® GTX 1050 2GB StromX /// RAM: Klevv Bolt 8GB (1x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15 /// Chassis: The AMAZING $30 "Computer Case"! /// PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-750 /// Storage: 1TB Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" SATA SSD + 240GB Transcend SSD220S 2.5" SATA SSD /// OS: Windows 10 Pro

Laptop (Asus UX430UN): CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-8550U Processor  /// GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MX150 /// RAM: 16GB 2133Mhz /// Storage: 512GB SanDisk SD8SN8U512G1002 (boot) /// OS: Windows 10 Home

Other Tech: Console: Xbox One S 1TB, Apple TV 4K /// Printer: Canon imageCLASS MF635Cx /// Phone: Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB Graphite (Daily Driver)  /// Tablet: Apple iPad 9.7-inch Wi-Fi (2018) 32GB + Apple Pencil (1st Generation) /// Headphones: Apple Airpods Pro, Sony WF-1000XM3, Sony WH-1000XM3 /// Smartwatch: Apple Watch Series 6 GPS Space Grey

Cameras: Bodies: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II, Canon EOS 5D Mark IV,  Sony A6000 /// Lenses: Canon EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, Canon EF 16-35mm F/2.8L II USM, Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS II USM, Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 (Canon), Sony SEL-P1650 E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS /// Lighting: 2x Godox SL60-W Continuous LED, 2x Canon Speedlite 580EXII /// Tripods: Leofoto LS-324C Carbon Fiber Tripod + Leofoto LH-40 Ballhead, Leofoto MC-80 Multipurpose Clamp, Triopo DG-3 Gimbal Head /// Yes, I am a Canon Fanboy, deal with it

42 minutes ago, 675409 said:

I need to know what the easiest to install Lga 115x series cpu cooler is because I need a better cooler than the stock cooler and don't have much experience with building pc's especially cpu coolers

question could be better phrased with "what cooler would be good for my cpu, easy mounting would be a great benefit"

Without knowing what cpu you have it's hard to recommend a sensible cooler, I could recommend a Dark Rock Pro 4 or NH-D15 for everything but that would be abit excessive for most configs.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 9 3950X Processor (Stock, -0.1V offset)  /// Motherboard: Asus Pro WS X570-Ace /// CPU Cooler: Deepcool GamerStorm Castle 360 RGB V2 /// GPU: Gigabyte AORUS GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ 8G /// RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 128GB (4x32GB) 3200Mhz CL16 /// Chassis: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C Blackout TG /// PSU: Corsair RM850i /// Storage: 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe (boot) + 1TB WD Black SN750 NVMe (Working Drive) + 2x 1TB Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SATA SSD RAID0 (Game Library) + 2TB Seagate BarraCuda (Backup) /// OS: Windows 10 Pro

Peripherals (Main Rig): Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 + Logitech G903 Lightspeed /// Keyboard: Keychron Q1 ANSI - JWK Lavender Linear Switches (TX Switch Film, Krytox 205g0), Durock V2 Stabilisers, Polycarbonate Plate, Tape Mod, GMK Blue Samurai + Keychron K4 V2 Hotswap RGB Aluminum Frame - Gateron Milky Black (Deskeys Switch Film, Krytox 205g0), Foam Mod, Tape Mod, GMK Rainy Day PBT Clones /// Tablet: Wacom Intuos M BT /// Monitor: 4x LG 27UL500-W (4K IPS Freesync) /// DAC: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 /// Speakers: Logitech Z625 /// Mic: Focusrite CM25 MkII /// Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, ATH-LS70iS IEMs /// Racing Wheel: Logitech G920 Driving Force with Shifter /// Eye Tracker: Steelseries Sentry  /// External Drives: 500GB Samsung T5 SSD (Working Drive)

Home Server - NASty: CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700x Processor /// Motherboard: Asus PRIME X470-Pro  /// CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 /// GPU: Gigabyte GeForce® GT 1030 OC 2G /// RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 64GB (4x16GB) 3200Mhz CL16 /// Chassis: Fractal Design Define R5 Window /// PSU: Corsair RM750x /// Storage: LSI SAS 9211-8i (IT Mode) + 10x 4TB Seagate Exos Enterprise Drive /// OS: UNRaid

Tester Rig: CPU: AMD Athlon™ 200GE Processor /// Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero WIFI  /// CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism RGB /// GPU: Palit GeForce® GTX 1050 2GB StromX /// RAM: Klevv Bolt 8GB (1x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15 /// Chassis: The AMAZING $30 "Computer Case"! /// PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-750 /// Storage: 1TB Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" SATA SSD + 240GB Transcend SSD220S 2.5" SATA SSD /// OS: Windows 10 Pro

Laptop (Asus UX430UN): CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-8550U Processor  /// GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MX150 /// RAM: 16GB 2133Mhz /// Storage: 512GB SanDisk SD8SN8U512G1002 (boot) /// OS: Windows 10 Home

Other Tech: Console: Xbox One S 1TB, Apple TV 4K /// Printer: Canon imageCLASS MF635Cx /// Phone: Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB Graphite (Daily Driver)  /// Tablet: Apple iPad 9.7-inch Wi-Fi (2018) 32GB + Apple Pencil (1st Generation) /// Headphones: Apple Airpods Pro, Sony WF-1000XM3, Sony WH-1000XM3 /// Smartwatch: Apple Watch Series 6 GPS Space Grey

Cameras: Bodies: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II, Canon EOS 5D Mark IV,  Sony A6000 /// Lenses: Canon EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, Canon EF 16-35mm F/2.8L II USM, Canon EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS II USM, Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 (Canon), Sony SEL-P1650 E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS /// Lighting: 2x Godox SL60-W Continuous LED, 2x Canon Speedlite 580EXII /// Tripods: Leofoto LS-324C Carbon Fiber Tripod + Leofoto LH-40 Ballhead, Leofoto MC-80 Multipurpose Clamp, Triopo DG-3 Gimbal Head /// Yes, I am a Canon Fanboy, deal with it

While the manual isn't that great, as long as it hasn't been updated, the Vetroo V5 is a very good, cheap little cooler. Easy enough to mount if you follow the directions in this video.

54 minutes ago, 675409 said:

Another important question, can you get the stock backplate out without removing the motherboard? On the back side of the case, there should be a hole like this one below. Is it bigger than the plastic bracket on the back of the motherboard or no?

Spoiler

blog_how-to-install-the-hydro-series-h100-Content-4.jpg.46598f749f5140c26737d73f32a823c7.jpg

If that plastic piece has room to come out without removing the motherboard, then you've got a lot more options. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

7 minutes ago, berberries said:

Dark Rock Pro 4 is a breeze compared to a hyper 212, those are really a PITA. Noctua coolers hard to come by where I'm at, so never got to try one. Scythe is ok, not a PITA but not a breeze either

Modern Hyper 212s (I think they call it the v2) more or less ripped off Noctuas mounting hardware as well. It's very similar to Scythe's ripoff of secufirm now and is actually manageable. 

What cpu, case, and ram are you using?

Where are you shopping / located? Budget?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

14 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

What cpu, case, and ram are you using?

Where are you shopping / located? Budget?

I have an i5-4590 but it shouldn't matter because its lga1151 so all lga115x will fit, and I'm using some samsung ram with no heatsink so clearance isn't a problem at all.

I'm shopping in California and my budget is 50 USD

4 hours ago, 675409 said:

I have an i5-4590 but it shouldn't matter because its lga1151 so all lga115x will fit, and I'm using some samsung ram with no heatsink so clearance isn't a problem at all.

I'm shopping in California and my budget is 50 USD

The 4590 is fairly easy to cool. What case are you using?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

9 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The 4590 is fairly easy to cool. What case are you using?

I got a Zalman Z7 Neo with about 170mm clearance I think

14 hours ago, 675409 said:

I got a Zalman Z7 Neo with about 170mm clearance I think

The Alpine 12 CO is simple upgrade about as easy to install as the stock cooler. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/JZyV3C/arctic-alpine-12-co-cpu-cooler-acalp00031a

What are you aiming to improve over the stock cooler?