AIO coolant conductivity

Khoomn

Im looking to get into my first AIO, I haven't bought an AIO before because I do not like the idea of liquid in my computer. I want to get the arctic liquid freezer ii 240 because I remember hearing great things about it. I wanted to know for this specific AIO if the coolant was conductive or not. Just in case the loop breaks and spills coolant everywhere, I don't want my entire system dying.

3 minutes ago, Khoomn said:

Im looking to get into my first AIO, I haven't bought an AIO before because I do not like the idea of liquid in my computer. I want to get the arctic liquid freezer ii 240 because I remember hearing great things about it. I wanted to know for this specific AIO if the coolant was conductive or not. Just in case the loop breaks and spills coolant everywhere, I don't want my entire system dying.

sorry to break it to you, but all regular AIO's use conductive liquid.

If you arent comfortable with aios then why even bother going with one?

If you even wanna have a go at proper overclocking then youll need a beefy custom loop anyways cause over 60c and you wont get a decent oc (400mhz+ over turbo)

If you want one for aesthetics then id say no but that depends on if aesthetics are that important

If you want one for silence then unless you are getting a 280mm+ aio a beefy aircooler like the nhd15/drp4 will be just as silent

Many people think AIOs are better than high end air. At the same time many people are afraid of noise, so they run their fans as slow as possible, starving their air cooler. So they get an AIO and feed it plenty of fresh air and sunlight, then they come back and say how awesome it is compared to their old crappy 212 or whatever. I think 212s are junk lol. Anyways, long story short.. if you buy a good air cooler, by good I mean the top 5 or so, and you feed it some fresh air you can get better temps than an AIO. I know there are guys who will disagree with me, and that is ok! I am always willing to put my cooling setup against an AIO cooled setup, or even another air cooled setup 🙂

Personally, I have done what I can with air, my next stop will be a custom loop.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

1 hour ago, freeagent said:

I know there are guys who will disagree with me, and that is ok! I am always willing to put my cooling setup against an AIO cooled setup

We dont need to disagree with you on that, we just need to look at the tests, and baaam Game over, or  AirOver 😛 

to go around to think that less metal and less fans can beat more metal and more fans..  strange strange 

2 hours ago, Khoomn said:

The coolant might not be conductive. water is not conductive.  Its what it comes in contact with when it leaks that makes in conductive, and that will happen in 98% of the cases 😛 

5 minutes ago, NorKris said:

We dont need to disagree with you on that, we just need to look at the tests, and baaam Game over, or  AirOver 😛 

to go around to think that less metal and less fans can beat more metal and more fans..  strange strange 

I have had an AIO before.. so its not like I haven't done it before.. how much liquid do you think is in them? If you have a CPU that is actually capable of cooking it off, how awesome is that AIO going to be in 2 years?

If you don't do anything but play games and stare at pretty lights, you should get some life out of it, but if you make your machine do actual work, they are not so good in the long run.

1 minute ago, freeagent said:

I have had an AIO before.. so its not like I haven't done it before.. how much liquid do you think is in them? If you have a CPU that is actually capable of cooking it off, how awesome is that AIO going to be in 2 years?

If you don't do anything but play games and stare at pretty lights, you should get some life out of it, but if you make your machine do actual work, they are not so good in the long run.

AIOs getting so low on water after 2 years?  hiiighly doubt it  😛 

2 minutes ago, freeagent said:

how much liquid do you think is in them? 

99% of the available room 👍  or in other words  enough 

1 minute ago, NorKris said:

AIOs getting so low on water after 2 years?  hiiighly doubt i

Run something like folding at home for 6 months straight with no shut downs and let me know how it goes 🙂

Assuming you have a CPU that could put out some decent TDP. 

1 minute ago, NorKris said:

99% of the available room 👍  or in other words  enough

So in  other words, you don't really know.  All good. You go with what you know, and I will go with what I know.. and we can agree to disagree.. as usual 😄

38 minutes ago, freeagent said:

So in  other words, you don't really know.  All good. You go with what you know, and I will go with what I know.. and we can agree to disagree.. as usual 😄

Sure i can agree that long therm reviews on how AIOs are holding up after hard use are lacking, 
so i hope u agree that for the at least a year a 240 + intake AIO is king 😛 

there is also the fact, every1 say u dont open a aio. put if u do (screw up the cold plate, hold it as the highest point, fill destiled water) problem solved 

Even as someone who lost a build to an AIO leak, I'll admit an AIO leak is pretty rare. AIO coolers are getting pretty common, and leaks are not something you hear about regularly by any means. That being said I've been on air cooling ever since. If I ever go back it'll be custom loop.

My trash pile at the time from my AIO leak. At the time it wasn't "bad" hardware. Worst part was it was a 3570k that I had hit the "silicone lottery" with. It overclocked really good. Bought a 4690k to replace it with, that hardly overclocked at all.

spacer.png

3 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

If you arent comfortable with aios then why even bother going with one?

If you even wanna have a go at proper overclocking then youll need a beefy custom loop anyways cause over 60c and you wont get a decent oc (400mhz+ over turbo)

If you want one for aesthetics then id say no but that depends on if aesthetics are that important

If you want one for silence then unless you are getting a 280mm+ aio a beefy aircooler like the nhd15/drp4 will be just as silent

I dont want one for overclocking. I'm currently running a 3700x thats undervolted because I only have the stock AM4 cooler that came with the cpu (at the time i bought it no good coolers supported am4). I currently idle at 50 with spikes up to 60. Gaming I would say it jumps to around 75. I just want something thats good, I used to have a 212 evo on my 7600k but don't have an AM4 bracket for it. I still have it after 2 years sitting next to my desk. I just need something thats good, the arctic freezer ii seemed really good, if there is a good air cooler that isnt super beefy, id take it.

1 minute ago, Khoomn said:

I used to have a 212 evo on my 7600k but don't have an AM4 bracket for it

Thatll do

Just ziptie it to your cpu, not really that heavy of a cooler since its just a basic 4 heatpipe tower, though pref buy a bracket to save some hassle if you can

1 hour ago, Khoomn said:

I dont want one for overclocking. I'm currently running a 3700x thats undervolted because I only have the stock AM4 cooler that came with the cpu (at the time i bought it no good coolers supported am4). I currently idle at 50 with spikes up to 60. Gaming I would say it jumps to around 75. I just want something thats good, I used to have a 212 evo on my 7600k but don't have an AM4 bracket for it. I still have it after 2 years sitting next to my desk. I just need something thats good, the arctic freezer ii seemed really good, if there is a good air cooler that isnt super beefy, id take it.

Save some cash, buy just the bracket. Use what you have.