I Can Die Now. - Intel Fab Tour

James
7 hours ago, Nystemy said:

Though, I can understand why Intel wants to keep a lot a secret, it is the simple "I can neither confirm nor deny" type of business, since their competitors as well have a great deal of knowledge in the field, so even seemingly minor stuff can give away fairly major things.

I wouldn't even say its mostly for competitors.  You want to hide things from suppliers and vendors.

An example is, Company A and Company B can both sell a washing machine.

Imagine you needs 10 washing machines.  They find out that Company A's does better for their needs, so they buy 10 from them.

You don't tell wan them to know you needed 10.  Keep them unaware that you don't use any from Company B.

They would jack up the price knowing they are the sole preferred supplier.

Same thing goes for chemicals, raw wafers, tools, etc.

Ima take a wild guess and say the uncensored video data wasn't allowed to leave the facility

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

12 hours ago, GodAtum said:

Why is the wafer a circle when the cpu is square? that creates a lot of waste?

The silicon ingots are made like that, see video below. 

As others said, a lot of steps involve spinning the wafer to coat evenly the wafer surface with some chemical or some material, and polishing the wafer is also easier if the wafer is round. 

Also has to do with the LENS and optical systems used in the process of making the chips.... optical aberrations and errors will be higher towards the corners of a square because the length from the center of the wafer to the corners would be higher than the radius of a circle.

Honestly it was a pretty boring video that didn't show us anything we hadn't seen before. 

All we saw was a bunch of giant white boxes while Linus narrates. He could have done that from home. No need to travel half way around the world.

11 hours ago, dilpickle said:

Honestly it was a pretty boring video that didn't show us anything we hadn't seen before. 

All we saw was a bunch of giant white boxes while Linus narrates. He could have done that from home. No need to travel half way around the world.

The whole thing was more about Linus getting to see everything first hand and just ended up making it a business trip to explain to the fans and show off some stuff.

6 hours ago, agatong439 said:

The whole thing was more about Linus getting to see everything first hand and just ended up making it a business trip to explain to the fans and show off some stuff.

This.   In a fab: look around, everything is done 100% perfectly because it's installed by the best people in the business where money is no object.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

On 4/13/2022 at 8:56 PM, OriAr said:

So Linus was about maybe 5 minutes of driving from my house.

That's pretty amazing. I've been waiting for this video a long time since he was seen in Israel (My LinkedIn was full of posts about his trip)

And the plane he took was near my house

So, time to go deeper: when is the ASML tour coming?

Main Linux rig: HP Elitebook 2560P (i5-2410M, 8 GB, Pop! OS)

Living room/couch gaming rig: AMD 5800X, Asus TUF Radeon 6900 XT, 32 GB, 65" LG C1 OLED

Home server and internet gateway: Dell Optiplex 3040 MFF (i5-6500T, 16 GB, Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS)

Phone: Asus Zenfone 10

On 4/13/2022 at 8:10 PM, James said:

Linus travels to Israel to get a tour an Intel Manufacturing Center known as Fab 28. This level of access is absolutely unprecedented.

When will we get the uncensored version on Floatplane XD 

• 2 weeks later...

The comments section is literally full of obviously political statements, thanks to Intel letting Linus make a heavily censored tour (because of corporate politics of course) of a fab facility in a country that is currently in a heavily political conflict.

Such is life I guess: everything is political.

Now I can die now.

Oh, and also people are basically declared not buying Intel products for obvious political reasons.