I Can Die Now. - Intel Fab Tour

James

Linus travels to Israel to get a tour an Intel Manufacturing Center known as Fab 28. This level of access is absolutely unprecedented.

i dont know why i expected the fab in Israel to look different than the one i worked in but man does it look almost identical

Hmmm. I hope Intel doesn't get linused…… would be a real shame

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

Excellent work there. Bit of a shame that so much had to be blurred out, I imagine that had added a ton of work, and a lot of back and forth between Intel and LMG (I can imagine some irritation on Linus’s part). But considering they allowed this tour to happen at all, I’ll take what I can get. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Making a chip is a process that a lot of people underestimate how excessively repetitive and somewhat boring it actually is.

Though, I hate to say that the size of modern transistors is still not down even close to the single nm size yet. And lithography processes are still in the 20-25 nm area on the XY plane for a single feature. However, atomic layer deposition throws a wrench into this argument, but generally this sort of process isn't considered as defining the node size. (the whole industry decided to ditch labeling nodes after the lithography resolution and instead label it based on other factors like performance, power efficiency, or just transistor density. Non of them are really dependent on feature size itself. I am though oversimplifying quite a bit here.)

But otherwise it is a rather good video. And does actually show off quite a bit of the process. I am somewhat surprised more wasn't blurred to be fair.

Though, I can understand why Intel wants to keep a lot a secret, it is the simple "I can neither confirm nor deny" type of business, since their competitors as well have a great deal of knowledge in the field, so even seemingly minor stuff can give away fairly major things.

So Linus was about maybe 5 minutes of driving from my house.

That's pretty amazing. I've been waiting for this video a long time since he was seen in Israel (My LinkedIn was full of posts about his trip)

I'm giggling imagining a team of very smart people working at TSMC watching this having to write a report on their competition. 

1 hour ago, goodm_n said:

i dont know why i expected the fab in Israel to look different than the one i worked in but man does it look almost identical

Israel looks VERY different to the rest of the middle east.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Who's idea was it to take DENNIS to a fab?!

I'm not surprised Linus was allowed to go in, but I am surprised they let Dennis in.

Still an amazing video tho.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

28 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Who's idea was it to take DENNIS to a fab?!

I'm not surprised Linus was allowed to go in, but I am surprised they let Dennis in.

Still an amazing video tho.

called a decoy.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

honestly more interested as to why going to isreal was on linus his bucketlist. other  than that nice shoots of cleanrooms 😛

RAM 32 GB of Corsair DDR4 3200Mhz            MOTHERBOARD ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
CPU Ryzen 9 5950X             GPU dual r9 290's        COOLING custom water loop using EKWB blocks
STORAGE samsung 970 EVo plus 2Tb Nvme, Samsung 850 EVO 512GB, WD Red 1TB,  Seagate 4 TB and Seagate Exos X18 18TB

Psu Corsair AX1200i
MICROPHONE RODE NT1-A          HEADPHONES Massdrop & Sennheiser HD6xx
MIXER inkel mx-1100   peripherals Corsair k-95 (the og 18G keys one)  and a Corsair scimitar

Jesus just how much hentai was on the machines? /J

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

Why is the wafer a circle when the cpu is square? that creates a lot of waste?

Why did a lot of the workers get a day off because Linus was filming? Intel didnt want them shown?

Not sure why Intel wanted some of those texts to be blurred out. They are mostly safety signs. I'll say that the blurred text on the blue machines are called Centura with the sign on it saying "FEOL METAL FREE Tool".

36 minutes ago, GodAtum said:

as a chemist i can only say that the way they produce such pure silicon wavers if through a way that requires rotation and as such making a square wafer would add another step and possible contamination

RAM 32 GB of Corsair DDR4 3200Mhz            MOTHERBOARD ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
CPU Ryzen 9 5950X             GPU dual r9 290's        COOLING custom water loop using EKWB blocks
STORAGE samsung 970 EVo plus 2Tb Nvme, Samsung 850 EVO 512GB, WD Red 1TB,  Seagate 4 TB and Seagate Exos X18 18TB

Psu Corsair AX1200i
MICROPHONE RODE NT1-A          HEADPHONES Massdrop & Sennheiser HD6xx
MIXER inkel mx-1100   peripherals Corsair k-95 (the og 18G keys one)  and a Corsair scimitar

Fun fact: the whole cleanroom aspect of the fab has been dialed back now that all the tools are hermetically sealed and purged and shit.  Humans are really only there for tool maintenance.  The biggest paranoia is copper contamination.  They separate absolutely EVERYTHING based on whether it touched copper at any point or not.

Other fun fact: a fab's cost makes everything else look cheap in the world.  Oh the Burj Khalifa?  Tallest building in the world?  Yeah that thing is pocket change.  It cost 1/6th what it costs just to build the SHELL of a fab.  You can probably rebuild the entire Las Vegas strip for less than the cost of one fab.  In just one shot of this video you can see beyond a billion dollars in equipment.  Individual tools can be on the order of several hundred million dollars.  And you'd think it's some huge exotic process to buy one but it ends up being similar to buying a $300m car with some guy on the phone.

Also: missed opportunity to apply a giant screen protector in there.  No dust, perfect application.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

3 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Fun fact: the whole cleanroom aspect of the fab has been dialed back now that all the tools are hermetically sealed and purged and shit.  Humans are really only there for tool maintenance.  The biggest paranoia is copper contamination.  They separate absolutely EVERYTHING based on whether it touched copper at any point or not.

Other fun fact: a fab's cost makes everything else look cheap in the world.  Oh the Burj Khalifa?  Tallest building in the world?  Yeah that thing is pocket change.  It cost 1/6th what it costs just to build the SHELL of a fab.  You can probably rebuild the entire Las Vegas strip for less than the cost of one fab.  In just one shot of this video you can see beyond a billion dollars in equipment.  Individual tools can be on the order of several hundred million dollars.  And you'd think it's some huge exotic process to buy one but it ends up being similar to buying a $300m car with some guy on the phone.

I mean, if I want to plunk down $300 million on a EUV machine that has a long year+ waiting list, least that can be done is making the ordering process smooth and seamless.

My eyes see the past…

I appreciate the pun in the video title. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

51 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

A lot of people gets surprised when one tells them that copper is literally poison to semiconductors.

Same story goes for silver, and most other good conductors. Even tungsten is technically bad as well, but tungsten at least doesn't care much about diffusing into other areas and mostly just stays where one left it. (just ask a welder who touched the work piece with the tip of their TIG, one has to grind that back out....) Tungsten is more or less the most suitable contact material between the transistors and the rest of the interconnects, over time it will exceptionally slowly diffuse into the semiconductor, but that is a very slow process.

Aluminium on the other hand is a weak P dopant and will form a depletion region, so it just creates a slight diode in contact with N doped silicone. And that isn't all that major if accounted for. This is why practically all chips uses aluminium as an interconnect material. (Copper isn't that much more conductive to be fair, so the added hassle of it is rarely worth while unless one absolutely needs the slightly lower resistance.)

Though, some chips do use copper interconnects, but usually only on the largest interconnect layers for power distribution. Some can go deeper towards the transistors, but rarely do they get close. There is also a diffusion barrier between the transistors and the copper, to ensure it doesn't migrate down and turn the transistors into resistors. However, a diffusion barrier rarely stops copper, it only slows it down a noticeable bit. This is one reason some more power dense chips tends to fail after anywhere from a couple of years to a decade or so, be it a CPU, GPU or just a chipset, WiFi chip, or anything else that takes unreasonably large gulps of current for aluminium interconnects to not have sufficiently low resistance. (though, even power transistors used for VRMs and other high current applications rarely use copper, since they would otherwise struggle to operate for long at 120-140 C.)

I can also add a note that most material contamination in the semiconductor industry is just metal being where it shouldn't. Since metals aren't welcomed around semiconductors. But the thing with metal is that it is everywhere. One buys a bottle of isopropanol and it has trace amounts of chromium and iron in it from the stainless steel tanks it were once stored in, probably a bit of copper as well from water pipes, same for a lot of other chemicals. It is only parts per billion here, but semiconductors are sensitive.

Back in the 70's and 80's life were easier, a few tens of atoms of metal contamination in a transistor doesn't matter much when the smallest feature on said transistor is a few µm across. But now when lithographs makes line widths in the 18-25 nm area things are a fair bit smaller, and dopants in silicone isn't measured in whole %, but rather tenths or hundredths of a percent. So an atom or two of contamination is suddenly a lot more noticeable. Worst case contamination can lead to the transistor not turning off sufficiently for the output of a gate to behave properly.

1 hour ago, GodAtum said:

Because when you make silicon ingots you get cylinders. 

1 hour ago, GodAtum said:

Why did a lot of the workers get a day off because Linus was filming? Intel didnt want them shown?

They didn't? Was in the middle of COVID restrictions, that's what the "normal times" were referring to...

Had to laugh a bit at the end at the "CPU's the last thing you're gonna check" bit given we do get a thread about a faulty CPU every few weeks... and it's always an AMD one 😄

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

57 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Had to laugh a bit at the end at the "CPU's the last thing you're gonna check" bit given we do get a thread about a faulty CPU every few weeks... and it's always an AMD one 😄

Test can very quickly become a bottleneck in your manufacturing process.  Spend 2 minutes testing each die to get 100% coverage (it takes some absurd amount of time to hit full depth of scan chains and shit) and you  need a LOT of tester capacity.  And testers aren't cheap either.  There's been an industry push to put more of the test logic on the die so the die can effectively test itself for this reason.  I think with mobile ARM parts they do some basic go/no go test and then if the phone doesn't boot or whatever they just yeet the chip away instead of bothering with in depth testing.

So it is very notable that Intel has very high quality standards because it means they're taking the time and resource hit doing it at multiple stages.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

9 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Test can very quickly become a bottleneck in your manufacturing process.  Spend 2 minutes testing each die to get 100% coverage (it takes some absurd amount of time to hit full depth of scan chains and shit) and you  need a LOT of tester capacity.  And testers aren't cheap either.  There's been an industry push to put more of the test logic on the die so the die can effectively test itself for this reason.  I think with mobile ARM parts they do some basic go/no go test and then if the phone doesn't boot or whatever they just yeet the chip away instead of bothering with in depth testing.

So it is very notable that Intel has very high quality standards because it means they're taking the time and resource hit doing it at multiple stages.

Because ARM products encompass such a wide range if products and demands, I’d imagine depending on the application, test time varies from meticulous (for example, M1s, and high end mobile SoCs) to like you said, basic go/no go (microcontrollers, and low end mobile SoCs). 

My eyes see the past…

5 hours ago, williamcll said:

Israel looks VERY different to the rest of the middle east.

i dont understand what you're trying to say, im saying the inside of the fab looks identical to an intel fab i worked in inside of the USA

My summary though. Fantasy novels, and whatever they call “magic” have absolutely nothing on what we actually have in real life. 

My eyes see the past…

5 hours ago, GodAtum said:

Not sure why Intel wanted some of those texts to be blurred out. They are mostly safety signs. I'll say that the blurred text on the blue machines are called Centura with the sign on it saying "FEOL METAL FREE Tool".

Besides the forming of the ingot being a cylinder, many of the process steps involve quickly spinning the wafer, and you can't really evenly spin a square or rectangle versus a circle.

Anyone in the semiconductor industry would recognize the platform of the tool, but the configuration of the platform can vary. Something that they would like to keep secret is how many of each configuration they have.  This has many reasons. 

FEOL means front end of line, metal free is important because mixing metals can be corrosive, so it is important to make sure unwanted. metals don't enter the tools