Monitor Motion Blur - IPS/VA/TN

JRFinch

I know the TN vs VA vs IPS debate is done to death but i could do with some buying advice.

On both my last two monitors it's really bothered me with blurriness when moving the in game camera. I know response times are supposed to only really be a thing with competitive gaming and FPS whereas i mainly play strategy but it really annoys me when i pan the camera in a Total War game and everything in motion goes blurry. I notice it in other games as well (currently playing a lot of Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2), a couple of years ago i upgraded my 27" 1440p PLS monitor to a 27" 144hz IPS freesync monitor (Acer VG271up) but that didn't improve it. I recently upgraded my GPU to a 6700XT and that didn't improve it either so I'm left thinking its my monitor choice, both my last ones have been IPS and i never had this issue with my old 22" TN HP monitor.

I'm considering swapping to a TN or VA monitor, can anyone advise me if this is likely to fix the issue or it just modern high detail games in general and can't be fixed.

I know IPS has better colours but to be honest i think the motion blur annoys me more than less vibrant colour.

If going TN or VA would help, any good suggestions, 27" 100+hz, 1440p, £200-£300 budget (for dollars its usually same when taxes factored in)

Thanks

From googling im not finding a great selection of 27" 1440p TN or VA options other than going curved which i'd prefer to avoid

I'm also seeing stuff about 'fast ips', is that something that actually work and/or is it more expensive

TN monitors are probably on the way out aside from extreme budget offerings.

Blur/ghosting is the main knock on VA panels and always has been. If you found it unacceptable on an IPS display, going to VA would be a poor move. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

20 minutes ago, JRFinch said:

I know the TN vs VA vs IPS debate is done to death but i could do with some buying advice.

On both my last two monitors it's really bothered me with blurriness when moving the in game camera. I know response times are supposed to only really be a thing with competitive gaming and FPS whereas i mainly play strategy but it really annoys me when i pan the camera in a Total War game and everything in motion goes blurry. I notice it in other games as well (currently playing a lot of Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2), a couple of years ago i upgraded my 27" 1440p PLS monitor to a 27" 144hz IPS freesync monitor (Acer VG271up) but that didn't improve it. I recently upgraded my GPU to a 6700XT and that didn't improve it either so I'm left thinking its my monitor choice, both my last ones have been IPS and i never had this issue with my old 22" TN HP monitor.

I'm considering swapping to a TN or VA monitor, can anyone advise me if this is likely to fix the issue or it just modern high detail games in general and can't be fixed.

I know IPS has better colours but to be honest i think the motion blur annoys me more than less vibrant colour.

If going TN or VA would help, any good suggestions, 27" 100+hz, 1440p, £200-£300 budget (for dollars its usually same when taxes factored in)

Thanks

You're only option is OLED. The only OLED option is ultrawide, $1300, and out of stock until July. IPS has the least motion blur by far out of TN/IPS/VA. If you think the motion blur is bad on IPS, the motion blur on VA is going to make you want to throw up. It's wayyyyyyy worse. Just wait it out until OLED becomes mainstream. 

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

Would be interested to know if OP has adjusted the overdrive settings on his displays at all. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Well in the end they're all LCDs so much slower than OLED is, which we're starting to see finally in monitors. Though it will take time to see more models.

As for LCD monitor options, you'd still need to get higher prices to get the best of it. For TN option the Zowie XL2546K 240Hz with DyAc+ is very good, the only VA I'd even look into would be Samsung Odyssey G7 1440p 240Hz and for IPS option the Viewsonic XG2431 240Hz is great and also support strobing too, it has the best picture quality being IPS and really performs the best of the three as well as being cheapest. So yeah.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

19 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Viewsonic XG2431

Asus TUF VG259QM is also a good one ...

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/w4mFf7/asus-tuf-gaming-vg259qm-245-1920x1080-280-hz-monitor-vg259qm

For some reason the 27"  VG279QM is even cheaper, but I guess people don't like 27" 1080p monitors.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/JgCFf7/asus-tuf-gaming-vg279qm-270-1920x1080-280-hz-monitor-vg279qm

I edit my posts more often than not

13 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Asus TUF VG259QM is also a good one ...

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/w4mFf7/asus-tuf-gaming-vg259qm-245-1920x1080-280-hz-monitor-vg259qm

For some reason the 27"  VG279QM is even cheaper, but I guess people don't like 27" 1080p monitors.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/JgCFf7/asus-tuf-gaming-vg279qm-270-1920x1080-280-hz-monitor-vg279qm

I mean first depends where, the Viewsonic one can be found for the same price thereabouts, also it's better in clarity. It has the Blur Busters 2.0 certification.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Have you tried a display that has BFI ?

it could be down to the persistence blur of sample and hold. granted that type of blur lessens as you increase refresh rate and pixel response, but its still there.

You could also try out the HP Omen X 27. Its a few years old now but is one of the last high end TN panels and as such has one of the fastest pixel response out of all LCD displays. its 1440p 27" and 240hz... however it does NOT have BFI.

If u want try something with good pixel response and a good BFI implementation then maybe try one of the following:

Asus VG279QM (but it 1080p) (240hz)

Gigabyte M32Q (has VRR+BFI capability) (170hz)

Gigabyte AORUS FI27Q-X  (240hz)

MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD (165hz)

These all have good pixel response and the ability to enable BFI. Outside of an OLED they represent the best you can expect from a LCD in regards to moving image clarity.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

A few of the suggested ones are 1080p and i'd rather stay at 1440p

I've not messed with overdrive i've left it standard, i'll see if i can change that with freesync enabled and see if it improves. Definitely don't have the money for OLED, seems like virtually eveyrthing is different qualities of IPS these days.

The Gigabyte AORUS FI27Q-X  and MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD so depending on price i might look at one of those, or a non curved Samsung G5

Been playing around with different combinations of VBR (think thats my monitors version of BFI), Overdrive and Freesync, no noticeable improvement

2 hours ago, JRFinch said:

Also I have no idea what BFI is 😄

Black frame Insertion.

Thats the proper name, however different manufacturers will call their version something different.

AOC and Samsung call it MBR

Gigabyte call it 'aim stabilizer'

Asus calls it ELMB

Acer call it ULMB...(VRB is a version of this)

etc

etc

etc

its all marketing BS for BFI

All it does it 'flickers' the backlight to 'break up' each frame to reduce persistence blur. It has its drawbacks ofc, some people can notice flicker, and it can cause image duplication in moving objects if its poorly implemented. But overall it does sharpen up moving images.

Oh and im most cases it cant be used alongside freesync/gsync. meaning u have to choose one or the other. That is unless it specifically states otherwise, like the with ELMB Sync ,or Gigabytes implementation on the M32Q.

1 hour ago, JRFinch said:

Been playing around with different combinations of VBR (think thats my monitors version of BFI), Overdrive and Freesync, no noticeable improvement

If persistence blur is the cause of ur issue then you should see a noticeable improvement with BFI enabled vs disabled.

try out blurbusters UFO test to be sure. It should be obvious.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

From your advice and doing more research it seems i just have a not great IPS currently and the tech has come on a lot over the three years since i bought it. Looking at what's around i'm probably going to go for LG-27GP83B, 27GP850B or the MSI/Gigabyte equivalents depending on price and any good deals i can find on ebay

On 4/17/2022 at 1:26 PM, JRFinch said:

From your advice and doing more research it seems i just have a not great IPS currently and the tech has come on a lot over the three years since i bought it. Looking at what's around i'm probably going to go for LG-27GP83B, 27GP850B or the MSI/Gigabyte equivalents depending on price and any good deals i can find on ebay

Yes, IPS got SIGNIFICANTLY faster in the last few years. LG's 27GL850-B was basically the launch of fast IPS monitors as we know them today and it was released around summer 2019. Nowadays, the best IPS monitors are as fast as TN panels.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.