Access point with Ethernet

Gamer4714
Go to solution Solved by W-L,
22 minutes ago, Gamer4714 said:

I cannot run a cable I need to use the wireless signal repeater thingamajing

So I would be able to just go ahead plug this in and it would provide me Ethernet connection and wifi with the speed provided by the isp? Also I don't think this is available in India. Edit : NVM got it but not the same kit and would I need to connect my routers Ethernet by extending it or something. I wont be able to run the Ethernet jack over that distance not even with long wires.

It uses your electrical wiring in the home, so the base unit takes the Ethernet from your router/modem and sends the signal down the power wires. The unit on the other end receives the signal and has both the output for ethernet jacks and wifi hotspot. However the quality of the signal on the output side depends heavily on the wiring in your home. If you have an older house with old wiring it will degrade the signal on the receiver. It's hard to determine what the quality will be for sure but main thing is you want solid copper wiring and ensure you have an update fuse box that uses interrupters or breakers which should help. This is however an extremely general guideline. 

So I moved into a new house and we got the internet connection and it's at around 60mbps(it's what we get here normally) Thing is the router is downstairs but my pc is gonna be upstairs and it doesn't have a wifi card and the speed upstairs is terrible goes down to 5mbps and 47 ping. So I want an access point with the same speed of my router and also it has to have an Ethernet port for my pc. My budget is around 3000 rupees (40 dollars).

I have to get it running fast because we're moving in here very soon and I have classes and my dad is work from home.

Ay help would be appreciated

If my answer is correct or is helpful please mark it as the solution. Quote me in your post to summon me. Beware that after summoning me ill never leave. 

are you going to run a cable to the access point upstairs?

or are you gonna use a thingamajig that uses electrical wires for signal?

47 minutes ago, Gamer4714 said:

So I moved into a new house and we got the internet connection and it's at around 60mbps(it's what we get here normally) Thing is the router is downstairs but my pc is gonna be upstairs and it doesn't have a wifi card and the speed upstairs is terrible goes down to 5mbps and 47 ping. So I want an access point with the same speed of my router and also it has to have an Ethernet port for my pc. My budget is around 3000 rupees (40 dollars).

I have to get it running fast because we're moving in here very soon and I have classes and my dad is work from home.

Ay help would be appreciated

You're gonna be pretty limited with that budget, but if you want both an AP and wired ethernet connection a powerline kit may be a good option. They makes ones that will have a secondary access point including a couple of extra ethernet jacks for direct connection. 

Here is an example:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/powerline/tl-wpa4530-kit/

2 hours ago, Nuh_ said:

are you going to run a cable to the access point upstairs?

or are you gonna use a thingamajig that uses electrical wires for signal?

2 hours ago, W-L said:

You're gonna be pretty limited with that budget, but if you want both an AP and wired ethernet connection a powerline kit may be a good option. They makes ones that will have a secondary access point including a couple of extra ethernet jacks for direct connection. 

Here is an example:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/powerline/tl-wpa4530-kit/

So I would be able to just go ahead plug this in and it would provide me Ethernet connection and wifi with the speed provided by the isp? Also I don't think this is available in India. Edit : NVM got it but not the same kit and would I need to connect my routers Ethernet by extending it or something. I wont be able to run the Ethernet jack over that distance not even with long wires.

If my answer is correct or is helpful please mark it as the solution. Quote me in your post to summon me. Beware that after summoning me ill never leave. 

22 minutes ago, Gamer4714 said:

It uses your electrical wiring in the home, so the base unit takes the Ethernet from your router/modem and sends the signal down the power wires. The unit on the other end receives the signal and has both the output for ethernet jacks and wifi hotspot. However the quality of the signal on the output side depends heavily on the wiring in your home. If you have an older house with old wiring it will degrade the signal on the receiver. It's hard to determine what the quality will be for sure but main thing is you want solid copper wiring and ensure you have an update fuse box that uses interrupters or breakers which should help. This is however an extremely general guideline. 

12 hours ago, W-L said:

It's a new house. I don't know about what materials the wiring are of, it's a villa so we just went ahead and bought it. And we do have a fuse box (mcbs i think, no fuses) and most of the components are new. So I take the thingamajing and I plug into a power socket and plug an Ethernet cable from my router, then the other thingamajing would receive the signal at kinda the same speed with ethernet and wifi. Anyway thanks for your help I'm gonna use it for my house

3 hours ago, Gamer4714 said:

It's a new house. I don't know about what materials the wiring are of, it's a villa so we just went ahead and bought it. And we do have a fuse box (mcbs i think, no fuses) and most of the components are new. So I take the thingamajing and I plug into a power socket and plug an Ethernet cable from my router, then the other thingamajing would receive the signal at kinda the same speed with ethernet and wifi. Anyway thanks for your help I'm gonna use it for my house

Do you know what kind of broadband your router uses?  Powerline networking can kill the speed of DSL (phone line) based services so is best avoided if you have that.  Even the ones that claim to have DSL safe modes aren't guaranteed to not interfere.

Trouble is, you don't really have many options other than if you can wire an Access Point somewhere between the router and where you need a better signal, to try to get a better WiFi signal without having to run the cable all the way to the destination which you say you cannot do.

I suppose putting a WiFi repeater half way between the two might work, its not generally recommended as it halved the WiFi speed but that potentially would still be faster than your broadband so not necessarily an issue.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Do you know what kind of broadband your router uses?  Powerline networking can kill the speed of DSL (phone line) based services so is best avoided if you have that.  Even the ones that claim to have DSL safe modes aren't guaranteed to not interfere.

Trouble is, you don't really have many options other than if you can wire an Access Point somewhere between the router and where you need a better signal, to try to get a better WiFi signal without having to run the cable all the way to the destination which you say you cannot do.

I suppose putting a WiFi repeater half way between the two might work, its not generally recommended as it halved the WiFi speed but that potentially would still be faster than your broadband so not necessarily an issue.

It's not a dsl. It's the tv cable then it goes into a modem then turns into a fiber connection then goes into my router.

2 hours ago, Gamer4714 said:

It's not a dsl. It's the tv cable then it goes into a modem then turns into a fiber connection then goes into my router.

Should be fine then, assuming your electrical wiring plays nice with Powerline.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7