Home IP from not home

Jimmymd00
Go to solution Solved by LIGISTX,
10 minutes ago, Jimmymd00 said:

Thanks for your message 😁Would a router on a stick be necessary or would a second mobile do the same? I'm going on holiday and want to use websites/services that validate user by ip

Websites won’t be an issue as far as I know, but apps can check to see if your phone is connected to a VPN (they can’t glean any actual info, but they can ask the phone “are you connected to a VPN? IF yes, I will not work” type thing. But a website I don’t think would know, theoretically the browser may be able to ask that, but I don’t think that would get passed back go the website. 

Another phone won’t work unless it explicitly supports Wifi routing which you would need to figure out how to even set up. I’m not saying it’s not possible, I bet some android ROM has this built in, but you would need to set up routing on the “router” phone so it routes traffic from the SSID it would be broadcasting.

TLDR; it’s likely not impossible, but your getting into the realm of beet niche use case and your goog to have to google/forum post your way to victory…  

Best bet is get a raspberry pi and set it up as a VPN router, but this will also be a rather advanced setup and you will want to test it all at a friends house beforehand to make sure it just automatically works etc. Again, it’s entirely possible, I have done it, but it does take some learning, patience, and time 🙂  

I am wanting to mask my mobile IP as coming from my home router but not sure where to start any pointers would be greatly appreciated. I have an asusRT-AX56U. 

You mean while you're not at home? You'd need to set up a VPN to dial into your home network, to route your phone's internet traffic through your router.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

16 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

You mean while you're not at home? You'd need to set up a VPN to dial into your home network, to route your phone's internet traffic through your router.

Thanks for your reply! Would I need a paid one or is it something I can set up myself? 

Thanks for your reply! Would I need a paid one or is it something I can set up myself? 

You’d need to set it up yourself. Look into WireGuard. 

You can “host” (parentheses because WireGuard doesn’t use the traditional server and client paradigm, there is only 1 “version” of WireGuard and it works either as a client or server) on a raspberry pi or just a always on Windows PC (r-pi or something makes more sense since it’s way lower power draw), then you can VPN in when needed. 

Note…. If your trying to like watch cable TV where it wants you to be on your home IP to use, this won’t work. The apps check if a VPN is enabled and just hard default to not allowing your content to stream if a VPN is active on your phone. Yo I can get around this with a router on a stick that creates a Wifi network that routes over the VPN, because then to your phone “your are just on your home WIFI” since it won’t know your connecting through a VPN… but this would be a lot more advanced so hopefully this isn’t your use case 🙂

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

20 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

You’d need to set it up yourself. Look into WireGuard. 

You can “host” (parentheses because WireGuard doesn’t use the traditional server and client paradigm, there is only 1 “version” of WireGuard and it works either as a client or server) on a raspberry pi or just a always on Windows PC (r-pi or something makes more sense since it’s way lower power draw), then you can VPN in when needed. 

Note…. If your trying to like watch cable TV where it wants you to be on your home IP to use, this won’t work. The apps check if a VPN is enabled and just hard default to not allowing your content to stream if a VPN is active on your phone. Yo I can get around this with a router on a stick that creates a Wifi network that routes over the VPN, because then to your phone “your are just on your home WIFI” since it won’t know your connecting through a VPN… but this would be a lot more advanced so hopefully this isn’t your use case 🙂

Thanks for your message 😁Would a router on a stick be necessary or would a second mobile do the same? I'm going on holiday and want to use websites/services that validate user by ip

Websites won’t be an issue as far as I know, but apps can check to see if your phone is connected to a VPN (they can’t glean any actual info, but they can ask the phone “are you connected to a VPN? IF yes, I will not work” type thing. But a website I don’t think would know, theoretically the browser may be able to ask that, but I don’t think that would get passed back go the website. 

Another phone won’t work unless it explicitly supports Wifi routing which you would need to figure out how to even set up. I’m not saying it’s not possible, I bet some android ROM has this built in, but you would need to set up routing on the “router” phone so it routes traffic from the SSID it would be broadcasting.

TLDR; it’s likely not impossible, but your getting into the realm of beet niche use case and your goog to have to google/forum post your way to victory…  

Best bet is get a raspberry pi and set it up as a VPN router, but this will also be a rather advanced setup and you will want to test it all at a friends house beforehand to make sure it just automatically works etc. Again, it’s entirely possible, I have done it, but it does take some learning, patience, and time 🙂  

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

13 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Thank you very much for your time and knowledge 😁 the hunt begins! 

6 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

I'd expect an Android phone with a VPN active and hotspot mode turned on would route over the VPN.

If WiFi is turned on and you enable wired tethering it routes over WiFi.  It should use whatever the default route is, which would be the VPN.

[UPDATE]

Seems it doesn't, I get no connectivity at all at least with OpenVPN, how stupid.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

19 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I'd expect an Android phone with a VPN active and hotspot mode turned on would route over the VPN.

If WiFi is turned on and you enable wired tethering it routes over WiFi.  It should use whatever the default route is, which would be the VPN.

[UPDATE]

Seems it doesn't, I get no connectivity at all at least with OpenVPN, how stupid.

Yea. I am not surprised. I am surprised it even can broadcast an SSID if it’s currently connected to another, I didn’t think it could do wifi teathering to an SSID it’s broadcasting. I know it can teather cell over Wifi or over wire, or Wifi over wire, didn’t think it could do Wifi over Wifi lol. 

But the routing is still the issue. You would need to add routes for it to be able to provide DHCP, DNS and ultimately actually route out over the VPN. My vocabulary may be a bit off, but in practice I do *mostly* understand how to do this. I also am a pfsense user for my homelab, and have point to point VPN’s set up and such. 

2 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

Yea. I am not surprised. I am surprised it even can broadcast an SSID if it’s currently connected to another, I didn’t think it could do wifi teathering to an SSID it’s broadcasting. I know it can teather cell over Wifi or over wire, or Wifi over wire, didn’t think it could do Wifi over Wifi lol. 

But the routing is still the issue. You would need to add routes for it to be able to provide DHCP, DNS and ultimately actually route out over the VPN. My vocabulary may be a bit off, but in practice I do *mostly* understand how to do this. I also am a pfsense user for my homelab, and have point to point VPN’s set up and such. 

It does normally turn off WiFi when you enable HotSpot, but you can bypass this with an option under Advanced titled WiFi Sharing "share your phones WiFi connection in addition to mobile data".  It was a little confusing as I had to turn WiFi back on again after enabling this, though I did the VPN test over mobile data.

As for routing that's the point, tethering/HotSpot should be using the default route and the VPN surely changes that to the VPN itself  So its puzzling why it doesn't correctly configure NAT over the VPN but still tries to use the old route.  It should be perfectly capable, it is the Linux kernel after all.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7