Where did Nikon Z9 video go?

Freeman

I've wanted to go back to a nice review of Nikon Z9 from Brandon, but it has been switched to private. It was not all that positive, but seemed fair and had a lot of information, what has happened to it? Why was it pulled? It was a breath of fresh air to actually hear some constructive criticism in a review, it's really helpful to know about things that might not work well in a class of device, so that you know what to look out for.

its been removed from Floatplane too. Usually when this occurs its due to a problem with the information presented or something to leaked that shouldn't have been. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

From what I watched they failed to do some basic research into how the camera operated and just applied the logic that other cameras use. Example being using AF-C rather then AF-F and then saying the camera would not grab focus. 

13 hours ago, AlexBlob said:

From what I watched they failed to do some basic research into how the camera operated and just applied the logic that other cameras use. Example being using AF-C rather then AF-F and then saying the camera would not grab focus. 

Ah I see, that is likely it. It would be great if LTT informed on these situations, but it's great that there is a attentive community and a place to discuss this, thanks 🙂 .

Probably got removed because it was obvious Brandon either didn't have or didn't take the time to use it prior to filming. He was visibly unfamiliar and uncomfortable with how Nikon's work.

His biggest criticism was the autofocus, but it's because he didn't know what he was looking for and had it set wrong, and most of the comments section called him on it. 

Also you could really tell that Brandon is a video shooter, who sometimes dabbles in stills. The Studio example they did, had the camera set up like you would a video camera at 30fps w/ a 180 degree shutter. They were inside, having someone do twirls, with the camera set to 1/60th of a second, trying to evaluate sharpness and AF performance... Yeah of course the images are going to be soft, not sure what he expected at 1/60th. 

It was a real bummer, and if he had just sat down with it for an hour, gone through the menus, referenced the manual, then shot stuff for another 30 minutes before filming, the review could have been very different. Instead they had him come in, turn the camera on, handed him a tote with it, and said "OK Brandon, do your thing"

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

Everyone! 

Thanks for bringing this up. We decided to remove the Nikon Z9 video due to the glaring issue regarding the specific auto focus mode that was never tested, which ultimately lead to the wrong conclusion. We weren't able to simply fix it by our typical methods or refilm as the loaner camera was sent back after the video was released for retesting and posting a new video. 

We're going to develop a few new ways to address we don't run into this issue again, but thanks for your patience with us on the matter.

• 2 weeks later...

It’s kind of strange to me seeing these kinds of videos on LTT, as a photographer to see a channel like this one reviewing the top of the line S tier gear targeted towards professionals and discussed as a review like anyone who doesnt know exactly what this thing is and if they’re going to buy it or not is kind of like if Linus started reviewing data center machines the same way he does consumer video cards.  

A review of a high end Leica or the Z9 is just worthless to anyone who is just kind of curious about cameras, as are most things about cameras not in the category of “phone cameras”.  Any discussion of high end camera equipment without discussing lenses is disingenuous at best.  If Brandon wants to just play with cool cameras then sweet! I’d happily watch that, its a good time, but any kind of review is just…eh.

On 4/13/2022 at 12:22 AM, JonoT said:

Everyone! 

Thanks for bringing this up. We decided to remove the Nikon Z9 video due to the glaring issue regarding the specific auto focus mode that was never tested, which ultimately lead to the wrong conclusion. We weren't able to simply fix it by our typical methods or refilm as the loaner camera was sent back after the video was released for retesting and posting a new video. 

We're going to develop a few new ways to address we don't run into this issue again, but thanks for your patience with us on the matter.

Thanks, it's really nice to see a reaction directly from a producer and even with a full explanation, now it makes a perfect sense and thanks for caring about quality of the content. News agencies could learn a lot from you.

2 hours ago, Vilacom said:

It’s kind of strange to me seeing these kinds of videos on LTT, as a photographer to see a channel like this one reviewing the top of the line S tier gear targeted towards professionals and discussed as a review like anyone who doesnt know exactly what this thing is and if they’re going to buy it or not is kind of like if Linus started reviewing data center machines the same way he does consumer video cards.  

A review of a high end Leica or the Z9 is just worthless to anyone who is just kind of curious about cameras, as are most things about cameras not in the category of “phone cameras”.  Any discussion of high end camera equipment without discussing lenses is disingenuous at best.  If Brandon wants to just play with cool cameras then sweet! I’d happily watch that, its a good time, but any kind of review is just…eh.

While it's nice to have review for cameras in the $100-600USD range, these videos are useful as well. First of all, there are some pretty loaded people who will buy it just because they like the texture of the grip or whatever, then there are semi-pro photographers who are maybe not so much into the scene, but they've found success within their niche and need to upgrade fast. Many of us are employed at companies with marketing departments, documentation departments etc., those will have a camera like this and incidentally, they probably wouldn't have even bought lenses for it or made sure their glass is compatible, so it's nice to be at least a little familiar with the camera, if you are going to borrow it. And lastly, these do go down in price on a second hand market, so they'd eventually be in a price range of non-photographers.