why is my hdd doing stuff

Logicjunkie520

my system is set up with about 2.5 TB storage on ssd /m.2 drives and i have one 2tb hardrive for stuff i dont use much and game server backups cus i download my entire server data once a week.

but im heering the head move around every few seconds and it very conssitent but im not looking at any data on it and when i pull up resource monitor it doesnt show anything loading data from that drive letter

9 hours ago, Logicjunkie520 said:

my system is set up with about 2.5 TB storage on ssd /m.2 drives and i have one 2tb hardrive for stuff i dont use much and game server backups cus i download my entire server data once a week.

but im heering the head move around every few seconds and it very conssitent but im not looking at any data on it and when i pull up resource monitor it doesnt show anything loading data from that drive letter

There might still be data that wasn't yet written onto the disk. After some time it should stop on its own

yeap, my external drive(s) does that… very annoying… 

2 (3) possible reasons:

defrag - but i dont think thats it, because  i defrag it manually, and after 5 seconds it started doing it again!

or

updating a "media file list"…

in any case, it "should" stop at some point, usually after 1-2 days (and then start doing it again  after another  couple of days ofc!)

Also it could be updates preloading, windows  does that, u can check in taskmanager for disc activity…

On 4/8/2022 at 9:01 AM, DreamCat04 said:

There might still be data that wasn't yet written onto the disk. After some time it should stop on its own

That was also a possible explanation, but in my case, when i remove the drive and then put it back it starts again immediately… hours upon hours… oh and also there's *no* disc activity in taskmanager (except its clearly audible and the access light is also constantly blinking)

Not to say it never stops, it does, but it literally takes 1-2 days lol.

I bitch a lot about windows , but thats mostly just design and GUI annoyances, but *this* i really think is a design fail 100%…

I wish there was a drive "park" option, that would stop it outright, but sadly this feature was removed because it "wasnt needed anymore"… yeah, well, that was wrong… 🤷‍♂️

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity