How to repurpose old and broken gaming laptop?

I have an old MSI gaming laptop with GTX 1060 and 8th gen i7 processor that was abused a lot during its lifetime and now has a broken body, screen, fan, battery and keyboard. Even though it isn't really a portable device anymore the guts of the system (CPU, GPU, memory, main board, storage) are still in working condition, any way I can DIY it into a "desktop" by strapping a desktop cooler on it or something?

I tried to look for some guides on youtube doing something similar but couldn't find anything useful. I have an AMD stock cooler lying around that I'm not using in my pc but I can't figure out how to mount that to the laptop motherboard since it doesn't have the appropriate mounting holes or a backplate.

If you want to "strap" a desktop cooler to it, you'll need to make your own custom mounting to make it reliably hold itself tightly to the correct part of the CPU and GPU.

Every laptop has it's own bespoke design, and there won't be somewhere handy to plug said fan in.

Attaching a desktop cooler to it will be something you'll just have to figure out on your own unless someone else has already done it with that same laptop model in the past. You'll want to consider anything that the board might need to operate - sometimes laptop boards won't work unless all the fans are plugged in and working. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

3 minutes ago, AncientPistol said:

I have an old MSI gaming laptop with GTX 1060 and 8th gen i7 processor that was abused a lot during its lifetime and now has a broken body, screen, fan, battery and keyboard. Even though it isn't really a portable device anymore the guts of the system (CPU, GPU, memory, main board, storage) are still in working condition, any way I can DIY it into a "desktop" by strapping a desktop cooler on it or something?

I tried to look for some guides on youtube doing something similar but couldn't find anything useful. I have an AMD stock cooler lying around that I'm not using in my pc but I can't figure out how to mount that to the laptop motherboard since it doesn't have the appropriate mounting holes or a backplate.

well first would be able to get a cooler mounted or get a replacement. you can pull the rest out and mount it in a case with stand offs. you might need to do some wirering to get it to boot with out the monitor. use a keyboard, mouse and monitor .

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

30 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

well first would be able to get a cooler mounted or get a replacement. you can pull the rest out and mount it in a case with stand offs. you might need to do some wirering to get it to boot with out the monitor. use a keyboard, mouse and monitor .

If you can extract the main board and screen, the screen uses eDP so it would just be a matter of finding a controller board to get it to an external connector.

For anything DIY the yt channel DIY Perks is second to none. Check out these videos if you're looking for examples of what you can do. His projects tend to be really sophisticated, but he does always have actual DIY in mind so he keeps in mind the cost of the project a lot.

1 hour ago, AncientPistol said:

So if you don't have mounting holes... all the build youtubers have shown us that a smart use of zipties goes a LONG way. 😉

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

I still wonder how people do these types of things to their computers.

Like, accidents happen and all but damn, did you toss the thing into the driveway and run it over a few times?

2 minutes ago, 8tg said:

Like, accidents happen and all but damn, did you toss the thing into the driveway and run it over a few times?

Airports and unsecured poorly protected tech

1 hour ago, 8tg said:

College + a lot of traveling and loaning it to my friends