Ryzen 3600 reached 112°C and didn't shut off

Hi,

as I'm currently running an Insider Build of W11 the software I normally used for CPU/Case-fan-control doesn't work at the moment. I searched for some alternatives and am now using  FanControl.

Unfortunately, I created both a normal profile and a "noFan" profil while getting used to the software and for some reason today my PC started with the nofan profile and therefore didn't use any CPU/ Casefans. GPU Fan is autocontrolled by Afterburner, because of which I wasnt able to hear, that the case/cpu-fans weren't spinning.

After some time I noticed some "warm" smell but didn't noticed that it was caused by my PC. When the Framerate was terribly low I wondered what could cause this and opened the Afterburner-OSD and saw the cpu-temperature of 112°C. 

I thought that that's not possible but nonetheless checked whether the exhaust is warmer than normal. Obviously, it was quite hot and definitely the source of the "warm" smell I noticed earlier. I immediately closed the game and set all fans to 100% but I'm still wondering why the PC didn't shutdown itself.

Before anyone recommends this: Yes, normally I've got an audio-alert set up for high temperatures but apparently I didn't set it up while freshly installing windows some time ago.

Any recommendations for further steps (besides using fans 🙂)?

1166620692_Screenshot2022-04-05193613.thumb.png.6386492daf1c3537210b5cba595fff5b.png

Windows 11 Pro 22H2

Ryzen 3600

Gigabyte B450M DS3H

GIGABYTE RTX 2080 GAMING OC

G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

WOAH. I am not suprised that the mobo that you are using is often said that it is crap.. you should impose some motherboard tempature limits ASAP in the BIOS.

Hello there!

Wow, I’m impressed that it didn’t shut off, I recommend to remove the cooler and adding a bit of thermal paste to the cooler. Second, make sure that there’s good airflow and that the fans aren’t blocked by dust. 

Hope this assisted you!

21 minutes ago, LTTFan16538228 said:

WOAH. I am not suprised that the mobo that you are using is often said that it is crap.. you should impose some motherboard tempature limits ASAP in the BIOS.

Normally, this wouldn't happen. I guess that the Insider Build somehow prevents some kind of BIOS-Windows communication, as the Motherboard utilities dont work right now. Even the BIOS fan-curve doesnt do anything right now.

Yeah, the board was the cheapest B450 board with an M.2 Slot. That's why I bought it. Apart from this occasion, there never was a reason to regret cheaping out on the mobo.

25 minutes ago, AngGab2020 said:

Hello there!

Wow, I’m impressed that it didn’t shut off, I recommend to remove the cooler and adding a bit of thermal paste to the cooler. Second, make sure that there’s good airflow and that the fans aren’t blocked by dust. 

Hope this assisted you!

I'm wondering why it didn't shut off too. Why I did some testing boots while assembling the PC, it even shut off at 90°C (while there was not cooler installed).

I guess it's some problem with the Motherboard and the Insider Preview.

When the fans are spinning, there's plenty airflow. The cause for the high temperature was definitely the non-existence of a fan curve above 0% fan duty. 

Windows 11 Pro 22H2

Ryzen 3600

Gigabyte B450M DS3H

Really don’t know what caused it, however I would recommend to check if your CPU got damaged, and this happens again, get something to read the temperature to see if something else is getting way to hot

Edited by AngGab2020
Wrong answer

This right here is why I never use software to control fans; only BIOS settings. Overriding safeties is typically not a good plan, and third-party fan controllers can (but don't always) do just that.

That said, why it didn't shut down is a mystery. You should scour your BIOS settings and make sure something dumb isn't toggled to prevent that. Then cross your fingers and hope you didn't hurt anything too much.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

Thats what i dont get when people say "its safe, the cpu shuts down automatically before overheating"…

… except it probably doesnt when the option is turned off by default in the BIOS…  (such as in my MSI board…) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

7 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

[...] when the option is turned off by default in the BIOS…  (such as in my MSI board…) 

The thermal shutdown is disabled by default?! That is so dumb. Having the option alone is kind of ridiculous (I mean, when would you not want that?), but then to make it the default behavior is just, wow...

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

16 minutes ago, Kid.Lazer said:

The thermal shutdown is disabled by default?!

depends on the motherboard / bios i guess, it is on mine.

16 minutes ago, Kid.Lazer said:

That is so dumb. Having the option alone is kind of ridiculous

yup… it doesnt make any sense 🤷‍♂️

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

depends on the motherboard / bios i guess, it is on mine.

mine apparently doesnt have a toggle for it. Could find it in the BIOS nor the 44-paged-manual.

I guess normally it would shutoff but it didn't due to whatever the Insider build is causing...

Windows 11 Pro 22H2

Ryzen 3600

Gigabyte B450M DS3H

On 4/5/2022 at 8:41 PM, aexel05 said:

Normally, this wouldn't happen. I guess that the Insider Build somehow prevents some kind of BIOS-Windows communication, as the Motherboard utilities dont work right now. Even the BIOS fan-curve doesnt do anything right now.

Yeah, the board was the cheapest B450 board with an M.2 Slot. That's why I bought it. Apart from this occasion, there never was a reason to regret cheaping out on the mobo.

I'm wondering why it didn't shut off too. Why I did some testing boots while assembling the PC, it even shut off at 90°C (while there was not cooler installed).

I guess it's some problem with the Motherboard and the Insider Preview.

When the fans are spinning, there's plenty airflow. The cause for the high temperature was definitely the non-existence of a fan curve above 0% fan duty. 

To be honest, that is why beta software is often said to be dismissed... I recommend to just leave your PC being off for now and waiting until they release the non-beta. Oh, I just realized that updates for Windows 11 are only 1 times per year... damn you Microsoft!

1 minute ago, LTTFan16538228 said:

To be honest, that is why beta software is often said to be dismissed... I recommend to just leave your PC being off for now and waiting until they release the non-beta. Oh, I just realized that updates for Windows 11 are only 1 times per year... damn you Microsoft!

well.. if the Insider Build bothered me I would just re-install the stable Version. 

Regarding the one big feature update per year. Just wait, there might be some changes to when and how new features are distributed.

Windows 11 Pro 22H2

Ryzen 3600

Gigabyte B450M DS3H

1 minute ago, aexel05 said:

well.. if the Insider Build bothered me I would just re-install the stable Version. 

Regarding the one big feature update per year. Just wait, there might be some changes to when and how new features are distributed.

I think you should just reinstall the stable version.. I am still on Windows 10 by the way because I still have a second gen i5.

Just now, LTTFan16538228 said:

I think you should just reinstall the stable version.. I am still on Windows 10 by the way because I still have a second gen i5.

Yeah I will do so after finishing the currently installed games.

It's not like you are missing out on much (yet) apart from the visual changes. As long as the i5 does it's job, just keep it.
But I'm wondering what you are doing with it. Before the R5 3600 I had an i5-4670k and I had to replace it because it bottlenecked my 2560*1080p system.

Windows 11 Pro 22H2

Ryzen 3600

Gigabyte B450M DS3H

On 4/9/2022 at 2:11 PM, aexel05 said:

Yeah I will do so after finishing the currently installed games.

It's not like you are missing out on much (yet) apart from the visual changes. As long as the i5 does it's job, just keep it.
But I'm wondering what you are doing with it. Before the R5 3600 I had an i5-4670k and I had to replace it because it bottlenecked my 2560*1080p system.

Well, I do everything I want on my 2500k! It is my primary PC, because it is my first one that I built (although it is a prebuilt and as good as it probably gets under 250 USD) and I play e-sports titles on it mostly. I have it paired with an R9 270, which has been called ''a Poor Man's GTX 1050'' by Budget Builds Official. And I only game with a 1080p monitor, and I have seen 1440p before, but I don't see much of a difference from my average viewing distance.

On 4/5/2022 at 1:04 PM, aexel05 said:

Hi,

as I'm currently running an Insider Build of W11 the software I normally used for CPU/Case-fan-control doesn't work at the moment. I searched for some alternatives and am now using  FanControl.

Unfortunately, I created both a normal profile and a "noFan" profil while getting used to the software and for some reason today my PC started with the nofan profile and therefore didn't use any CPU/ Casefans. GPU Fan is autocontrolled by Afterburner, because of which I wasnt able to hear, that the case/cpu-fans weren't spinning.

After some time I noticed some "warm" smell but didn't noticed that it was caused by my PC. When the Framerate was terribly low I wondered what could cause this and opened the Afterburner-OSD and saw the cpu-temperature of 112°C. 

I thought that that's not possible but nonetheless checked whether the exhaust is warmer than normal. Obviously, it was quite hot and definitely the source of the "warm" smell I noticed earlier. I immediately closed the game and set all fans to 100% but I'm still wondering why the PC didn't shutdown itself.

Before anyone recommends this: Yes, normally I've got an audio-alert set up for high temperatures but apparently I didn't set it up while freshly installing windows some time ago.

Any recommendations for further steps (besides using fans 🙂)?

1166620692_Screenshot2022-04-05193613.thumb.png.6386492daf1c3537210b5cba595fff5b.png

Holy moly

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface