Looking for flat wall-mount for 35" ultrawide monitor

Stahlmann

My desk is rather small and i don't have room for a bigger one. But i'd like to clear up some space so my next option is wall-mounting my monitor. To really benefit from wall-mounting in terms of desk space i'll need a slim mount, but i'd still like to be able to tilt and swivel the monitor to account for a slightly crooked wall (pretty old house). My monitor weights around 12kg without the stand. Any recommendations?

PS:

I'm mounting it to a limestone wall, not concrete or dry wall. So wall-mounting heavy things always gave me a bad feeling. Any recommendations in terms of mounting hardware?

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

You’re going to need a monitor that has vesa mount compatibility.  You’ll then get a vesa connector for wall mount that is rated for the weight of your monitor.  There are Teflon coated concrete screws that are easier to fill in and hide than the standard system of mounting, but they have a nasty tendency to snap off.  Stone rather than concrete would likely make that worse.  The issue I would be worried about is modern stone fireplaces are often just stone fascia which may not be actually able to hold the monitor.  The stuff is often merely glued on so you are connecting to a thing that is connected to a thing that is glued to your wall.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Knowing what is behind that stone could help if it’s fascia.  If it’s not fascia any old plastic insert system will work. If it is fascia there’s going to be some sort of hardboard behind the stone.  Possibly a stud.  Knowing what kind of hardboard it is and how thick the fascia is could also help.  It could be some sort of fiberglass filled board or just blue board drywall.  If it’s fiberglass based hardboard you’ll still need some sort of anchor system to be really secure.  The problem with those is they all need big holes. If it’s blue board the only thing I trust is butterfly style mounts which need the biggest holes of all.  Frequently 1/4in or more.  Too big to fill in invisibly.  If you hit a stud you can just use a screw long enough to reach and bite into the stud and drill a hole in the stone big enough to clear the threads.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

12 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

You’re going to need a monitor that has vesa mount compatibility.

I have a VESA 100x100 mount on my monitor.

You’ll then get a vesa connector for wall mount that is rated for the weight of your monitor.

After some quick searching i found a few of those, but the flat ones are stiff and don't support tilt, etc to account for the crooked wall.

There are Teflon coated concrete screws that are easier to fill in and hide than the standard system of mounting, but they have a nasty tendency to snap off.  Stone rather than concrete would likely make that worse.  The issue I would be worried about is modern stone fireplaces are often just stone fascia which may not be actually able to hold the monitor.  The stuff is often merely glued on so you are connecting to a thing that is connected to a thing that is glued to your wall.

The wall is definetly just limestone. No glued BS or something like that. The wall behind the plaster kinda looks like this:

image.png.950de2d9c71db6961c359a836f759880.png

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

8 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

I have a VESA 100x100 mount on my monitor.

After some quick searching i found a few of those, but the flat ones are stiff and don't support tilt, etc to account for the crooked wall.

The wall is definetly just limestone. No glued BS or something like that. The wall behind the plaster kinda looks like this:

image.png.950de2d9c71db6961c359a836f759880.png

Then all you need is a standard plastic sleeve.   That’s some nasty ass parging there. I don’t have a good solution for removing that.  Parging is harder than other stuff. To get around the unevenness shimming the thing flat would be the way I would likely go.  If the screw happens to hit one of those spaces though I got nuttin except fill it in with something.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Then all you need is a standard plastic sleeve.   That’s some nasty ass parging there. I don’t have a good solution for removing that.  Parging is harder than other stuff. To get around the unevenness shimming the thing flat would be the way I would likely go 

The picture is not of my own wall, it's something i pulled from google. Anyway, thanks for your input!

44 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

The picture is not of my own wall, it's something i pulled from google. Anyway, thanks for your input!

If you picked it for stone type that’s sandstone or limestone.  It’s quite soft (for stone) and may take one of those Teflon coated screws without having the thing snap off on you.  Unless it’s the Minnesota limestone stuff that has these wildly hard spherical nodules in it (they actually mine them for the nodules which are titanium ore or something. Crush the rock to get the nodules.  It’s why crushed rock is so cheap in Minnesota.  It’s a waste product)  All stone or concrete needs to be predrilled.   Sandstone usually splits horizontally rather than vertically.  Limestone often but it’s not as reliable that way.   It builds up in layers too. non nodule infested limestone will be twitchy at best for Teflon screws.  Limestone is harder than sandstone.  Still soft as stone goes though.  Concrete is a sort of limestone chemically so it’s close.

Edited by Bombastinator

Is your desk physically pushed up to the wall?  If not, you could probably use a floor stand as another option.

You could also consider a medical VESA arm mount as another option, as they have much longer reach, meaning that you could mount it to the wall further away, and use the arm to position it to your desired viewpoint/angle.

7 hours ago, IPD said:

Is your desk physically pushed up to the wall?  If not, you could probably use a floor stand as another option.

You could also consider a medical VESA arm mount as another option, as they have much longer reach, meaning that you could mount it to the wall further away, and use the arm to position it to your desired viewpoint/angle.

That’s a point. If there is a better anchor point within a couple feet of where you want the monitor it could be used for that.  Plus you get a lot of tilt and adjustable height.  They do tend to be more expensive, and monitor weight limit is even more important with those as it sucks if they sag. They also can have lots lower limits, so it’s pretty important

13 hours ago, IPD said:

5 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

That’s a point. If there is a better anchor point within a couple feet of where you want the monitor it could be used for that.  Plus you get a lot of tilt and adjustable height.  They do tend to be more expensive, and monitor weight limit is even more important with those as it sucks if they sag. They also can have lots lower limits, so it’s pretty important

My desk is pushed right against the wall with only 2cm of room for cables. A floor stand isn't a good option in my case.

I'd like to make it as invisible and clean-looking as possible. And due to how my desk is constructed i cannot use the clamp-style mounts anyway.

So i'm pretty set on using a flat-ish wall mount.