500GB or 1TB SSD for OS?

Tragicdice
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
2 hours ago, Tragicdice said:

Is it worth replacing the ADATA XPG 8200 Pro with a 512GB WD SN 750/970 EVO Plus? I have read about the hardware being changed twice within the last 2 years making it slower than advertised. I checked the controller ID and it says SM2262EN, which seems to be the fastest model.

Is the drive performing to up to your standards? If yes, I wouldn't bother. If no, then yeah, both of those drives are great. If you were building a new system, I have a hard time recommending anything but the top of the line Gen 3 drives because they do perform consistently better and usually only cost an extra $10-20. That said, if you already have an SSD, unless you need more capacity or are having issues with it in any other way, they aren't worth replacing. If I were you, I'd probably just keep running that drive until I eventually built a new system. 

I currently have an ADATA XPG 8200 Pro 512GB (first model) installed as a boot drive. I also have a Crucial MX500 1TB SSD installed.

I impulsively bought a WD SN 570 1TB NVME SSD as well. Should I replace the 512GB SSD with the WD SN 570 or return it and keep the ADATA 8200 Pro?

If you were buying a new system, I'd say tb all the way. If you already have a 500gb drive to begin with though, it's not really worth the effort to clone and replace it. 

If you need the capacity, run both in your system. 

55 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

If you were buying a new system, I'd say tb all the way. If you already have a 500gb drive to begin with though, it's not really worth the effort to clone and replace it. 

If you need the capacity, run both in your system. 

So do you think I should return the SN 570 1TB and keep my 512GB + 1TB SSD combo? 

2 minutes ago, Tragicdice said:

So do you think I should return the SN 570 1TB and keep my 512GB + 1TB SSD combo? 

If you need the extra space, keep it and add it in addition to your current drive combo. If you don't, just return it. 

The TB model might be better for you as they are more durable. I bought my 500 and TB model weeks apart, and my little 500 is down to 97% and my TB is still showing 100.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

1 hour ago, freeagent said:

The TB model might be better for you as they are more durable. I bought my 500 and TB model weeks apart, and my little 500 is down to 97% and my TB is still showing 100.

Mines showing 91% after 2 years.

2 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

If you need the extra space, keep it and add it in addition to your current drive combo. If you don't, just return it. 

Is it worth replacing the ADATA XPG 8200 Pro with a 512GB WD SN 750/970 EVO Plus? I have read about the hardware being changed twice within the last 2 years making it slower than advertised. I checked the controller ID and it says SM2262EN, which seems to be the fastest model.

1 hour ago, Tragicdice said:

Honestly, I am completely ignorant on the subject.. I heard about it but haven't really looked into it as I am not in the market for a new SSD just yet.. sorry 🙂

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

2 hours ago, Tragicdice said:

Is the drive performing to up to your standards? If yes, I wouldn't bother. If no, then yeah, both of those drives are great. If you were building a new system, I have a hard time recommending anything but the top of the line Gen 3 drives because they do perform consistently better and usually only cost an extra $10-20. That said, if you already have an SSD, unless you need more capacity or are having issues with it in any other way, they aren't worth replacing. If I were you, I'd probably just keep running that drive until I eventually built a new system.