faster boot time on laptop with slower drive

I built my first desktop pc a couple months ago, the operating system (windows 10 pro) is installed on my fastest drive (WD Black SN850). I recently installed a Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" sata ssd into my old laptop and it is able to boot up faster. According to task manager my desktops boot time is around 10 seconds, while my laptops is 3-4 seconds. The drive I have in my desktop is more than 10 times faster than the one in my laptop.

Does anyone know what could be causing my desktop to boot up slower?

Thanks

Desktop specs:

MSI B550 A Pro (bios version is 7C56vA7 released 2021/07/06)

Ryzen 5 5600G

16GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix

Boot drive - WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe installed un upper slot (Gen 4/3x4)

Crucial P2 CT1000P2SSD8 1TB

Seagate BarraCuda 2TB

Cooler master MWE White V2 400 Watt

Windows 10 Pro

Laptop specs:

HP pavilion 2015

i5-6200U

12GB DDR3

Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" Sata

Windows 10 Home

The QVO is the bottom of the barrel Samsung SSD with slow QLC NAND. The WD Black is a fast NVMe SSD with TLC NAND.

Latency and throughput are significantly better on the WD so it makes sense.

Also, the i5-6200U really isn't that quick and 12GB of memory means mismatched sticks, so you'd be in single channel, also losing performance there. Also, the NVMe drive is PCIe 4.0 whereas the QVO is basic SATA.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Enabled fast boot in BIOS? Is there a lot of crap loading on the desktop?

18 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Also, the i5-6200U really isn't that quick and 12GB of memory means mismatched sticks, so you'd be in single channel, also losing performance there. Also, the NVMe drive is PCIe 4.0 whereas the QVO is basic SATA.

That's the thing, that laptop is faster if I understand correctly.

49 minutes ago, Bluejay130 said:

I built my first desktop pc a couple months ago, the operating system (windows 10 pro) is installed on my fastest drive (WD Black SN850). I recently installed a Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" sata ssd into my old laptop and it is able to boot up faster. According to task manager my desktops boot time is around 10 seconds, while my laptops is 3-4 seconds. The drive I have in my desktop is more than 10 times faster than the one in my laptop.

Does anyone know what could be causing my desktop to boot up slower?

Thanks

Desktop specs:

MSI B550 A Pro (bios version is 7C56vA7 released 2021/07/06)

Ryzen 5 5600G

16GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix

Boot drive - WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe installed un upper slot (Gen 4/3x4)

Crucial P2 CT1000P2SSD8 1TB

Seagate BarraCuda 2TB

Cooler master MWE White V2 400 Watt

Windows 10 Pro

Laptop specs:

HP pavilion 2015

i5-6200U

12GB DDR3

Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" Sata

Windows 10 Home

I would chalk this down to your desktop doing more stuff during boot. Loading and initialising drivers alone can take a couple seconds. so, I would just put this in the different systems, different boot times archive.

22 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

The QVO is the bottom of the barrel Samsung SSD with slow QLC NAND. The WD Black is a fast NVMe SSD with TLC NAND.

Latency and throughput are significantly better on the WD so it makes sense.

You got this backwards.

5 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

Enabled fast boot in BIOS? Is there a lot of crap loading on the desktop?

That's the thing, that laptop is faster if I understand correctly.

I totally missed that 😄

The only thing that comes to mind is the extended time AMD boards take to complete POST.

The laptop likely has fastboot enabled as well.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I'm guessing that the reason now is my desktop loading more stuff on boot. My motherboard doesn't support fast boot in the bios, and I have no programs other than drivers starting up on both systems.